Time for 87 GT makeover in Pittsburgh by PittSoccer33
Started on: 05-28-2014 01:15 PM
Replies: 2 (151 views)
Last post by: PittSoccer33 on 05-28-2014 03:18 PM
PittSoccer33

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PittSoccer33Send a Private Message to PittSoccer33Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In 2005 right after my 21st birthday I purchased a 1987 GT with approximately 60,000 miles. I was in college and didn't drive much, but over the next 4 years I put about 30,000 miles on it. Then I bought a 2004 GTO and haven't driven it since.

When I put it away the paint was starting to fade, there were a few small tears in the seats, and the transmission linkage is off (park is actually somewhere between park and neutral). It was kept at my dad's house about an hour north of the city - I haven't got anywhere to keep it right in the city.

So without time or cash it just sat waiting for me. Over this past weekend we replaced all the fluids, put in a new battery, and it started right up.

Now I'm looking into painting options and seat repairs. I Rusoleum rolled my motorcycle a few years ago and was extremely happy, but I wouldnt even know where to begin with a plastic and fiberglass car. I don't want to spend more than the car is worth on paint, just enough to get a uniform color that looks better than it does now.

Is there anything salvagable about that paint job? The first picture was taken right after washing it. The second two were this morning. A bird targeted it within the 15 minutes it was out

The interior looks very good minus the small seat tears. I also have a cracked radio bezel that I'll be looking to replace.

Are there any common "old age" issues I should investigate while I have the time?

Also, for anyone in PA, exactly what kind of plate do I want and exactly what do I need to get it? The DMV's website was predictably uesless.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
indyfiero2m4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for indyfiero2m4Send a Private Message to indyfiero2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having done a Rustoleum rolled on job on my 86GT I can honestly say it was WAY more work than I bargained for. The amount of sanding is just absurd. I ended up with a really nice finished product though.

If you can get ahold of a spray gun and a compressor, I sprayed my front and back bumper with rustoleum instead of rolling it on and it saved me loads of time. You just have to play with the mixture of mineral spirits to paint and be mindful of paint runs.

Check out my thread here //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089889.html. I didn't do a real great job documenting the process, but if you have questions I can answer them.
PittSoccer33

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PittSoccer33Send a Private Message to PittSoccer33Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your paint looks really nice. What shade of red was that? I think mine was the Medium Red Metallic.

The preperation work on this car scares me a bit, regardless of how I paint it.

When I did my motorcycle it was three pieces - the metal gas tank and two plastic side covers. The tank was typical - sand and strip it to bare metal. The side covers were plastic - I sanded the first one a bit with sand paper that was too coarse and it was a nightmare to to try smoothing it out. To prepare for Rustoleum how much did you sand off?

Overall I like how my bike turned out. I don't really want to do Rustoleum but I also am not prepared for a $2000+ paint job. My gut tells me that the results from a ~$500 shop job can't be much worse than I could do myself.

[This message has been edited by PittSoccer33 (edited 05-28-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock