Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Other Cars
  What have you found to be a good daity driver ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What have you found to be a good daity driver ? by CoolBlue87GT
Started on: 02-24-2021 02:48 PM
Replies: 35 (909 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 04-22-2024 01:33 AM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The other day I was thinking about how trouble free my car has been. Wondering about what others have found to be their dependable daily driver.

If you can, post your daily driver info & photos.

I'll start with mine.

My daily driver, besides the Fiero is a 2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS, which was my mothers car. When we bought the car for her, it was a used 1 year "executive driven" vehicle (what ever that means).

It's what I would call a non descript car, not particularly great looking, just a good car. It came well optioned, sunroof, premium sound, sat radio. Is a very quiet car, the AC is nice and cold. Gets 34 mpg

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 02-24-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The theme in my driveway for a long, long time is Saab 900.

Safe, quiet, comfortable, and an awesome drive all around. If I could only have one car, this is what it would be.

This '85 hit a quarter of a million miles last year and it still pulls like a freight train.

This is part of why.

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 02-24-2021).]

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2021 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My "daily driver" (if you can call it that) is a 2019 Honda CR-V. Not the fanciest car by any means but it's reliable. I'm leasing it. I like where I live and like my job. About (2) years ago, the rumor was that my job was going to be moving to another location about (60) miles (each way). I had a (10) year old Buick Enclave (which I loved) that had a little over 200k miles on it and got a whopping 18 mpg on the highway. Figured I'd better get something new(er) and better on gas. Fast forward to the pandemic. Work decided that we weren't going to move afterall and then allowed us to work from home. That's where I've been the past year. (That's also the reason why I added the quotation marks and parenthises above.) I now have a grand total of 3k miles on the Honda. I drive her once a week to the grocery store and/or pharmacy. (I've got all sorts of medical issues.) Once my lease is out, I'm going to give the car back to Honda and buy an older and larger mid size or full size SUV (i.e. Enclave, Tahoe, Suburban or similar). I don't care about the gas mileage. It probably won't have all the tech I have in my Honda but I like bigger SUVs. (Maybe a full size, crew cab pick 'em up truck.) I've seen some pretty good examples for $12k or under but I'm still looking.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2017 Hyundai Tucson. I bought it new and the dealer has free oil changes which he does every six months using synthetic oil. It came with Bluetooth, Sirrus radio, 6 speed auto, and many standard features. I get an average 29 mpg and this has been mostly around town with all the current travel restrictions.
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My daily driver is a 2012 Regal GS 6spd. Quiet, comfortable, and quick. Super fun to drive.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boring daily driver for 7 years was a 2014 Subaru STI, only broke down once when the engine blew up.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/104523.html

Bought my mother a 2017 Subaru Legacy 3.6R, that will be 5 years old in October, has never broken down **knock on ALL the wood**

Tony Santucci

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2021 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony SantucciSend a Private Message to Tony SantucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll tell you what. 5 years ago we got the wife a Nissan Altima. It's approaching 100k already with ZERO issues. It's a certified road warrior.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2021 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My daily driver is a Chevy Cobalt..... Not really exciting but at 250K miles it still drives like new. Very easy to work on; neatest and cleanest oil change ever. Last year I replaced the injectors which probably took a half hour tops. I probably could have done it faster if I was in a hurry.

Unfortunately, salt will kill it one of these years.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2021 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

http://www.passionatepursui...m/lexus/IMG_0024.jpg pic not working with codes.
Toyota Harrier 98 RHD same as RX300 Lexus LHD.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 04-22-2021).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my daily driver….
94 Toyota Pickup with the 22re & 5 speed,
Approx 440,000 miles so far and it doesn’t burn oil. I have to admit though, it is ready for a timing chain. Runs great, good gas mileage, easy to work on too. When you look up “reliable engine” in the dictionary you see this…..
Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 11-28-2021).]

weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2021 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2001 Saturn SL-1, reliable as a stone bridge & 35+ mpg. My other is a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer with the 4.2 inline 6. I love it to death. Both cars are well above 200K & use no oil, run like new. My wife has a 2016 Equinox with 140K on it, never a dime in repair, just oil changes & recent brake pads. Stuff I consider normal. We previously had the GM sister version, the Terrain. Same story.
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2021 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

2001 Saturn SL-1, reliable as a stone bridge & 35+ mpg. My other is a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer with the 4.2 inline 6. I love it to death. Both cars are well above 200K & use no oil, run like new. My wife has a 2016 Equinox with 140K on it, never a dime in repair, just oil changes & recent brake pads. Stuff I consider normal. We previously had the GM sister version, the Terrain. Same story.

Wow, that's great that the SL-1 is still going strong. Continued success with both.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 12-23-2021).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2022 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 4x4, and a 2010 Pontiac G6 GT.
Since I telework, I'll have to put "daily driver" in quotes, too.

I usually drive the truck because we're always picking up something for the house or farm. Even tow a trailer from time to time.
It's got 30K on the odo, and has been as reliable as an anvil.
All that's been replaced have been the rear tires (Gotta love the Hemi torque, although I don't do burnouts or other stuff.) and the front differential lock harness. (Chewed by a critter. Replaced it myself. $24. Took less than a half hour. Big deal.)

The G6 has been one of the better cars I've ever owned. ~120K on the odo. Free of squeaks and rattles. All that's gone wrong is a broken wire for the IAT sensor, a front wheel bearing, and a bad front door latch. (THAT was a bunch of fun to replace.) Also a couple of tire pressure sensors, but I don't even count those.
I'm also not counting the couple of brake jobs. Just the cost of doing business, and driving in Atlanta traffic. We can't drive, but it doesn't stop us from doing it at 80 MPH.
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2022 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2000 Mr2 Spyder that has been very reliable.
Chaddiesel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2022 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChaddieselSend a Private Message to ChaddieselEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2008 Honda fit. 220k and drives my 100 mile round trip to and from work everyday with no drama.
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2022 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2010 Scion tC.
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2022 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drove a 2002 Saturn SL1, 35 mpg, for years until one of my daughters got in a serious bind for wheels. It was perfectly dependable, she still drives it. I now drive a 2007 Trailblazer with the 4200 Atlas inline 6. I think it may be the finest engine I've ever owned.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2022 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My daily driver is a 97 Toyota Harrier fabulous custom. You might know lexus rx300 first gen. RHD imported.
jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2022 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Charger turned 10 the other week. 135k, amazingly comfortable for road trips, gobs of power when necessary, reasonable fuel economy when I behave myself. Puked a water pump last year and has some age-related nuisances, but otherwise has never left me stranded and is reasonably easy to work on.

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2022 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My daily is a 2010 Acura MDX with the Tech/Entertainment package. 176,000 miles, runs great, the only thing is that it has developed a clunk in the front end going over bumps that I haven't been able to figure out yet.

RichLo1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2022 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLo1Send a Private Message to RichLo1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2014 Chevy Cruze ECO with the manual trans. 45+MPG non-hybrid
PFF
System Bot
SKJSS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2022 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SKJSSSend a Private Message to SKJSSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't have a picture of it handy, but mine is a 2011 BMW 128i 6spd. I couldn't love it more...
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2022 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon, 2.0, 5 speed purchased new. It currently has 223,000 reliable miles, Eaton supercharger, Koni struts, poly bushings and a few other mods. It's easy to work on and gets good gas mileage, I use non ethanol. It's the most fun daily driver I have had, like a go kart with a roof and AC. We have driven it all over the US and will continue to do so.

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2022 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2009 Ford Explorer Sport ... nothing particularly fancy about it. Just the standard 4L V6, sunroof, AC, towing package, and power package (door locks, mirrors, windows) are the only options. All the other stuff is basic... which is just how I like it. It looks good, and runs really well. I think it has around 70k miles on it right now, which is really nothing. I donated my 2002 Ford Explorer with 186k miles on it a few years ago, and this replaced it.

I think color combination, and the wheels are what really make the car... drives well too...

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2022 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2007 Chevy Colorado - about 236K miles.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2022 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kind of bragging here but there are few vehicles in the same league as my 94 Toyota pickup. 450K and still going strong. When you look up “reliable engine” in the dictionary, you see this:

Oops!
I didn’t realize I posted a while back.
Sorry! Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 07-08-2022).]

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rain, 1999 lexus ls400 , sunny day my 1996 kawasaki vulcan 800 or the fiero. I love everyone.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2023 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want a car to do anything with and beat the absolute crap out of...

I tow regularly with this, I do thousands of miles through the snow and rough mountain roads every year, smash through snowbanks, drift it in every snowy parking lot I can, I rip it off road, 4 wheel slide on every empty offramp in the dry, and I hit redline multiple times every single day. It is running 19lbs of boost and dynos around 240hp at the wheels, tuning done myself on the stock ECU with free opensource software.

It is NOT perfect. The trans is not the strongest, it likes to melt exhaust valves (at around 170k miles), it burns some oil, and it loves to rust.

But my original trans lasted 304,000 miles, I just never dump the clutch except in the snow.

After doing the exhaust valves and setting the clearances to the higher amounts recommended on the forums, no more issues.

Boxer motors burn oil, and this one has a ton of miles and gets beat on, especially sustaining high Gs. I just top it off every 500-1000 miles. Usually right in between the dots.

If I never drove it in the salty snow it would not rust, but it has to have almost 100k miles in salty weather. If I had been more proactive with rust proofing, it would have held up better, but definitely sub par compared to today's cars. It is just a matter of paint or lack thereof.

These EJ205 motors are much more robust than the 2.5L motors IMO. I also have it tuned to limit boost below 3000rpms. These motors break with too much cylinder pressure at low RPMs, the teeny bearings can't handle it. The 2.5 motors do not help this, JDM STI motors are all 2.0L, rev to 8K, and much better.

The only time it ever left me stranded was soon after I bought it in 2014 because the previous owner lied the timing belt was just done and it broke.

Of course it needs regular maintenance items, hoses, belts, bearings, CV joint re-greasing, timing belts, bushings, mounts, etc. Luckily it is one of the easiest cars to work on and parts are cheap.

I have 308,000 HARD miles on this car. I don't think there are many other cars that I could drive this hard for this long that would take it like this thing does. It was truly designed to go rally racing. If you want an exciting daily that can do everything and can be fixed with basic tools and cheap parts with tons of aftermarket, it is a great candidate.

Things I would do immediately if I got another one: Spray thick oil all over the underside and in all the cracks and crevices. Pull the motor out --> STI oil pan and pickup, equal length headers and the Grimmspeed up-pipe, replace the turbo inlet, re-shim the valves for extra clearance on the exhaust side, new timing belt and idlers. Done. ~ $1000 for all that and it will be pretty bulletproof with regular maintenance and checking the oil level.

Also this is very geared towards places with a snowy climate and pot-hole filled roads, and to people that like to travel to remote places. If you don't need the ability to go anywhere in any conditions, then there are probably better choices. But if you want to drive it like a rally car and fix it with ease for cheap, I don't think anything else comes close. Buyer beware that most previous owners do not take care of these, and that IMO is mainly where they get a bad rap from.

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 02-02-2023).]

PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2023 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2007 Toyota Matrix, 225k miles. 32mpg town, 36 highway. Put a clutch in it at 178k. Plus all the usual…brakes, exhaust, tires, shocks.
kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2023 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2004 Honda CIvic, 202k miles. Still no major issue.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2023 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's great to see all the cars that made it over 200k. Good job.

Originally posted by thesameguy:

Saab '85 900, hit a quarter of a million miles last year and it still pulls like a freight train.

WOW quarter of a million (250k)

Originally posted by css9450:

My daily driver is a Chevy Cobalt 250K miles

250k Wow

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

2001 Saturn SL-1, & 2006 Chevy Trailblazer Both cars are well above 200K

200k Wow

Originally posted by Chaddiesel:
I have a 2008 Honda fit. 220k

220k Wow

Originally posted by Larryinkc:
Mine is a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon, 2.0, 223,000

230k Wow

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:
94 Toyota pickup. 450K

450k Wow

Originally posted by PhatMax:
2007 Toyota Matrix, 225k miles.

225k Wow

Originally posted by kendell:

2004 Honda CIvic, 202k miles.

202k Wow

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 08-08-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2023 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, how things change in 2.5 years since my previous post. I had a bunch of equity in my Honda (thank you, pandemic car buying trends) so I traded it in about 6 weeks ago on a new Hyundai Sonata Limited. It's not the fastest or the best handling (although it's not bad in either of those respects) but it's fun to drive and it's got a great bumper to bumper warranty. (I thought black looked cool. Bad idea w/no garage in NC.)
fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2023 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In 2003 I had my first child. Sold my last "sports car" ('98 Integra Type-R with Jackson racing Supercharger). And since then I put 200K+ miles on a 2003 Camrey and 2013 Hyundia Elantra.

Still have the Hyundai, but got a new "daily driver" when my mom stopped driving her 2013 Impala. It has the 300HP 3.5. Pulls hard and gets 25+ MPG in a 3600 lb car. No way I can use it as a donor car because it looks like new and just has 102K miles.

I also have a 2002 GMG SIerra 4 wheel drive that I use around the farm.
JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2023 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had 3 Nissan Muranos. I had a 2007 I bought new and then traded in 2021 for a 2019. This winter a car ran a stop sign and it was totalled. Now I have a 2020 Murano Platinum AWD. It’s comfortable and well optioned. All 3 were/are metallic red.

[This message has been edited by JJFieroFan (edited 09-12-2023).]

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2023 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 1999 lexus ls400, white and silver. All leather interior, great stero. Cassette, and cd. And with silicone belts running the units everything works. It was a free car, it was dirty and smelled really bad. I had it service done, timing belt and valve cover gaskets and miss.it was almost $4,000 done by lexus. This car is out of my league. At 112,000 miles it is just broken in. V8, 295hp this engine belongs in the fiero.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2024 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2019 F-150 XLT.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock