Started on: 08-20-2016 10:26 PM
Replies: 6 (225 views)
Last post by: Threedog on 09-08-2016 04:41 PM
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have a perfectly good running L36 3800 in my Fiero. But I am in need of a winter car right now.

I am thinking about buying a car with an 3800 Series II Supercharged and just swapping the motors when I have time. That way I have the supercharged 3800 in my Fiero and a 3800 NA in the other car.

My question is, is this as easy as it sounds? Can I just drop a 3800 NA into a car that used to have an L67, hook it up, and be on my way? I imagine the computer will throw a code, but will it run alright?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will need to reprogram the computers for book cars. This swap sounds like more trouble then its worth. The wiring will be different as well

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2003 BMW 330I
2009 Dodge Charger

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover

Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2016 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

You will need to reprogram the computers for book cars. This swap sounds like more trouble then its worth. The wiring will be different as well

The only wiring difference between the l36 and l67 is the boost control valve, no?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2016 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a relatively easy swap. Get the Factory Service Manuals from each car and study the wiring closely.

The biggest headache will be with the PCM/BCM interface and the associated plug from drive line to chassis, although that issue can be avoided by adapting the SC car drivetrain wiring to the L36.

Not a hard swap at all if you research.
Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2016 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

This is a relatively easy swap. Get the Factory Service Manuals from each car and study the wiring closely.

The biggest headache will be with the PCM/BCM interface and the associated plug from drive line to chassis, although that issue can be avoided by adapting the SC car drivetrain wiring to the L36.

Not a hard swap at all if you research.

This is exactly the answer I was looking for! Thanks!

Now the only other problem, I really like my supercharged riviera, I don't want to make it NA...ill probably end up buying a third engine haha.

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2016 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can run the 98-02 harness on the l32 but will have to change the injector clips to fit the ev6 injectors.. Other that the harness is the same, can even run it on the 98-02 pcm

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
Northstar Rebuild

Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2016 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

You can run the 98-02 harness on the l32 but will have to change the injector clips to fit the ev6 injectors.. Other that the harness is the same, can even run it on the 98-02 pcm

Thanks for the response! This looks like my likely course of action, although it means I have to figure out the rivieras weird as heck dog bone situation.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock