Munson headlight fix?? by NightMare Cruiser
Started on: 05-10-2023 03:22 AM
Replies: 9 (227 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 05-14-2023 09:50 AM
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2023 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Besides brighter bulbs. Has anyone figured out a fix for the Munson headlight system? I’m talking about how the light only shines way ahead of the car. Yes, I aimed them down and adjusted the up and down & side to side. The bulbs sit to far back and the beams hit the front lip of the buckets. The other night I was driving home from a show and went around a curve. Being the lights shine ahead of the car it was very hard to see directly in front of the car and oncoming road. Figured I’d ask before I add fog lights to the car.

[This message has been edited by NightMare Cruiser (edited 05-10-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2023 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Munson kit was a very aesthetically pleasing design, but the functionality was limited. I had them on a car I bought but had the same issue as you. The problem is built in.

Because the headlights are set back so far, the bucket prevents roadway illumination immediately ahead of the car. For the same reason, the sides prevent horizontal scatter of the light beam. Then add that the bulbs do not have an independent adjustment of the high and low beams. Adjust one and you adjust the other.

I adjusted the low beam downward to give me the best illumination of the roadway ahead of me. I never used the high beams because one of them pointed up in the trees and the other pointed directly into oncoming traffic. I eventually removed and sold them but before I did, I experimented with two sets of LED fog lights mounted as far forward in the housing as possible. Two lights mounted on each side.

Each light was independently adjustable up and down and left to right. They lighted the roadway very well, but light scatter was a problem as it blinded oncoming traffic at almost any adjustment position.

There were others that created a much better design using a different lighting system moved forward in the bucket. This required a slightly raised dome in each cover. Doublec4 had this thread about his design. There are still a few images remaining that photobucket hasn't eliminated. This is a good example of why PIP should be your image poster of choice.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087489.html
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2023 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry but is nothing to help that mess.
While Munson kits used "legal" HL bulbs....

Many had problems like above because trim tries to act as "Barn Doors" blocking light down and sides. Look up the term for theater or photo work.
Worse, the Trim is Plan metal or Painted to match so the light bounces a lot, Not "Flat Black" finish as photo/theater ones.
Plus the Cover likes to hold water etc on and under them making light output even more "dim" light on the road. That's ignoring the cover is transparent but not "optical clear" materiel so "eats" some light as well.

Or even worse headaches because how installed and cover over the bulbs is Not Legal in most places and can get stops by cops and/or fail inspection. Some got away w/ this but has to remove the covers to pass inspection etc that cause other problems.

So your only real "fix" is to Remove them like some already did.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2023 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32332 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by fierofool:
There were others that created a much better design using a different lighting system moved forward in the bucket. This required a slightly raised dome in each cover. Doublec4 had this thread about his design. There are still a few images remaining that photobucket hasn't eliminated. This is a good example of why PIP should be your image poster of choice.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087489.html
That and others are Illegal and NHTSA and Canada equiv can even order a Recall causing him huge lawyer bills and more. Like one company made "Altezza" style taillight got bankrupt by NTHSA Recall years ago.

On top of that, Many State's rules/laws says any cover over HL or Taillights is Illegal.
IOW "Bug eyed" cover alone used for this projector kits is Illegal in many places and fail inspection or stopped by cops.

Is likely part of why TL/BTR change name again and no longer sell Fiero Light "upgrades" under new name(s).
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2023 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As pointed out the Munson headlight mounting system did not provide good light in front. IMO the aesthetics are there but the functionality is not. My solution would be to add ultra-bright LED's in the parking light sockets. If you do some research you should be able to find direct fit units.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2023 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

As pointed out the Munson headlight mounting system did not provide good light in front. IMO the aesthetics are there but the functionality is not. My solution would be to add ultra-bright LED's in the parking light sockets. If you do some research you should be able to find direct fit units.

Wouldn’t that take away my front blinker lights?

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2023 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NightMare Cruiser:

Wouldn’t that take away my front blinker lights?

You can purchase replacement LED lights that are direct plug in units with two circuits. That will allow keeping parking light/turn signals operational. You just need to use high brightness LED's.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2023 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

You can purchase replacement LED lights that are direct plug in units with two circuits. That will allow keeping parking light/turn signals operational. You just need to use high brightness LED's.

I’ll try to search for that lol no / thread. I doubt I’ll keep them on n past this year. I rather go back to the crappy pop up headlights then deal with the poor lighting. As soon as I take them off I’ll post the for sale thread.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2023 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bright Park/Turn can Fail Inspection because too bright.
Or seen as Fog/Driving lights On without Parking Lights On and Fail Inspection or stopped by cops and not only NJ cops if driving to/thru PA NY etc.
Many States have rules when Fog/Driving lights used and often only w/ Low Beam On at same time. Some states restrict to bad weather even then.

Even if you add Fog/Driving lights...
Is why nearly all OEM installed Fog/Driving lights only run w/ Low Beams and not On w/o Driver action every time to turn On.
Some aftermarkets kits show to wired them only w/ LB On too like Headlight page in cave but most are made very cheap and have problems of there own.

Even ignore that, Park/Turn Lenses and Fixture are not made to light the road and bright bulbs just make other issues and glare problems.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-13-2023).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2023 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bright Park/Turn can Fail Inspection because too bright.

>>>>>> No inspection is required in NJ where OP lives

Or seen as Fog/Driving lights On without Parking Lights On and Fail Inspection or stopped by cops and not only NJ cops if driving to/thru PA NY etc.
Many States have rules when Fog/Driving lights used and often only w/ Low Beam On at same time. Some states restrict to bad weather even then.

>>>>>> No chanced of this happening. The LEDS that I suggested are not as bright as a headlight and they are only on in darkness.

Even if you add Fog/Driving lights...
Is why nearly all OEM installed Fog/Driving lights only run w/ Low Beams and not On w/o Driver action every time to turn On.
Some aftermarkets kits show to wired them only w/ LB On too like Headlight page in cave but most are made very cheap and have problems of there own.

>>>>>Agree here but don't believe the OP wants to add them. He could add two more driving lights in the front facia opening. Some pickup trucks that I have seen use more than just the two headlights and I believe that they even may be OEM options.

Even ignore that, Park/Turn Lenses and Fixture are not made to light the road and bright bulbs just make other issues and glare problems.

>>>>>> Have you tried n them? Except for headlights, I run LED lights all around and do know. The object here is to get the OP additional up front light. Unless the OP wants to add driving lights LEDS may be the only solution available.
BTW, what solution to you suggest?

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock