Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any chance for Cliff to restore all of the missing images?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any chance for Cliff to restore all of the missing images? by Forrest
Started on: 10-16-2021 07:36 AM
Replies: 19 (558 views)
Last post by: wgpierce on 11-27-2021 01:31 AM
Forrest

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2021 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A picture is worth 1000 words. So many are missing or blocked for hotlinking. From what I gather Cliff was archiving them back in the day to save space.
Are there any discussions about them being restored?

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 10-16-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2021 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On a PC you can open them up one by one in a browser page but I'm not sure about about a phone. If you have a particular thread you want to see images, I can try to post them here for you.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-16-2021).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2021 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Forrest:

So many are missing or blocked for hotlinking.

For missing images which were uploaded/stored on Photobucket, installing the Hotlink Fix usually solves the problem and allows them to reappear.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-17-2021).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2021 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A picture is worth 1000 words. So many are missing or blocked for hotlinking. From what I gather Cliff was archiving them back in the day to save space.
No.
Because Most "broken" images were Never on PFF image servers but hosted just about everywhere else. Results:
Poster deleted/move the pics on the host.
Image Host killed old links. Some only allow x days or sees little/no traffic and block a link.
Site active block links unless users paid like photobucket. YT and others can block external links too.
Site sold/bankrupt and down now.
ISP et al killed a Site at Owner's Order or just for not paying like Fieronews and many others.

Some have copies but won't post for many reasons including can be sued under Copyright etc.
If in PFF Archives, even people that can restore/fix images etc... Archives are Read Only and cannot be edited. C.P. has no time to fix everything in archives w/ dead whatever.
I and others have no time to dig thru the active sections to look for dead things even in their own posts. I only fix some old posts that reused many times like in "rubber brake lines vs stainless steel" https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129208.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2021 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try wayback machine on the sites that posted
http://web.archive.org/
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2021 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:
Can try but often doesn't work.

They only crawl a site every X months or longer and data added deleted etc in between scans often doesn't show up there.
Even "static"/stable sites for years, My cave was only copied right when Comcast "called" archive.org or whatever happened when Comcast canceled user web site servers. Many other sites have same problem even where hosted as full site w/ real domain name.
Plus Many sites block any to all "legit" web crawlers using robot.txt at root of site.
Then the crawlers can barf on the coding at a given site even when the site doesn't block them.

Example: Old Ludis site w/ OBD1 GM ECM data is there but missing many drawings. Someone made a copy w/ all drawings and post elsewhere then that site is gone now too.
Those drawings are why I can find out Exactly How some ECM "grounds" are anything but Power grounds like my Cave, Ground "Myth" notes
GM FSM and all others Do Not put that data in them and most think a wire is "just a ground" can cause a lot of problems even kill the ECM/PCM.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2021 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have noticed doing several searches that images originally hosted on PFF are not showing up in some threads, showing the 'hotlinking blocked' image.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2021 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
I have noticed doing several searches that images originally hosted on PFF are not showing up in some threads, showing the 'hotlinking blocked' image.
Exact link of a img like that... copy and past w/o img tag.

Not all PIP servers are owned by Cliff P so you need a link w/ img problems at minimum.

Easy way, Right click and copy link for "chain link" button on upper right side of post.
then post here or email to cliff.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

That was a problem on my side and that should be fixed now.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11634 posts
Member since Jan 99
For those familiar with regexes, the problem was solved with this: (s)?

😁
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Yep, all fixed, I replied in the other thread.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/099925.html
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So after all this trouble, does the OP even give a damn? We haven't heard a peep from him.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

So after all this trouble, does the OP even give a damn? We haven't heard a peep from him.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2021 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've never deleted/archived pictures. Every single image ever posted on the PFF servers themselves (through PIP or now through direct upload) are still available. Missing/blocked images are images that were posted on PhotoBucket or other image posting services. And either those images have been deleted (by the owner or due to inactivity) or the service itself no longer exists. The "hotlinking" was a problem on my end and was a result of me moving over to https. That has been solved now.
Forrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2021 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Thanks Cliff.

I give a damn and appreciate your efforts. I do not check the forums every day. Just a few times a week. My son came in from college for a quick visit so he was my first priority.

Some of you doodz are a little salty.
Forrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2021 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Forrest

101 posts
Member since Sep 2019

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

peep
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2021 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

peep

Thank you for the peep.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2021 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

I just used this to recover the old Fiero Addiction web pages originally published by Jon Lagler, re-posted by Nathan Bittinger and now deleted. Lots of good tech info still there.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I just used this to recover the old Fiero Addiction web pages originally published by Jon Lagler, re-posted by Nathan Bittinger and now deleted. Lots of good tech info still there.

Where can we find these tech info pages?
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2021 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock