Does anyone know this guy? by Miller5862
Started on: 05-27-2020 10:49 PM
Replies: 29 (1254 views)
Last post by: RCR on 08-27-2020 07:25 PM
Miller5862

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miller5862Send a Private Message to Miller5862Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He has my dream car and i want to know everything.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=65-VhSWspVE

How is his engine pointed forward not sideways? What transmission would he be using a xfer case? Custom? Like so many questions.. supercharger blower? I need this car.

[This message has been edited by Miller5862 (edited 05-27-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats Tracy Powell. I believe he was from Florida. The engine is a blown 455. Lee on here (Larini74) posted this back in 2006:

Engine and transmission came out of an 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado. Modifed of course, with a variable pitch torque converter with 3k stall
speed to handle the almost 750hp that the engine puts out.

Unfortunately, Lee's webpage is gone with all the photos. Here is another pic:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 05-27-2020).]

Miller5862

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Miller5862Send a Private Message to Miller5862Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Thats Tracy Powell. I believe he was from Florida. The engine is a blown 455. Lee on here (Larini74) posted this back in 2006:

Unfortunately, Lee's webpage is gone with all the photos. Here is another pic:

So is the variable pitch torque converter whats allowing him to mount the engine facing forward?
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Miller5862:
So is the variable pitch torque converter whats allowing him to mount the engine facing forward?

The Tornado transmission is the key. It was made for a longitudinally mounted engine, where the Fiero and most front wheel drive cars are transverse.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
his vehicle frequently shows up at the Spring Daytona event and I have a few photos of it filed away.

Nelson
Miller5862

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Miller5862Send a Private Message to Miller5862Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:

The Tornado transmission is the key. It was made for a longitudinally mounted engine, where the Fiero and most front wheel drive cars are transverse.

I cant seem to find a tornado transmission on google..
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TH425 is the transmission.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I cant seem to find a tornado transmission on google..

Toronado - count the letter o, there's 3 of them.

Miller5862

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Miller5862Send a Private Message to Miller5862Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Toronado - count the letter o, there's 3 of them.

The guy i quoted said tornado so assumed there was a tranny by that name.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

If that is what it is, good luck finding one today.....

THM425

1971-1979 Cortez Motor Home

1966–1978 Oldsmobile Toronado

1967–1978 Cadillac Eldorado

1973-1978 GMC Motorhome

1973-1978 GMC TransMode multi-purpose vehicle

1972-1978 Revcon motorhome

1989–1993 Vector W8
Miller5862

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Miller5862Send a Private Message to Miller5862Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is there a manual version of this?

Turbo-Hydramatic 425 was an automatic transmission developed and produced by General Motors.
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Web site archived here https://web.archive.org/web...ountry.us/fcusa.html

Pic here https://web.archive.org/web...ountry.us/tracy.html

and here https://web.archive.org/web...untry.us/tracy2.html

And for anyone doing a super duty https://web.archive.org/web...s/HotrodSD4guide.pdf

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is there a manual version of this?

No. There isn't a manual transmission option at this point that would put the engine in the same spot and drive the rear wheels...

If that is what you are looking for, then turn the engine backwards, use a T56 6 speed, point the tailshaft to the front, us a V drive to change rotation and give you a driveshaft that will now go rearward to the rear differential. Lots of custom fab work...
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make is better by making it simple.

Put it in the front..………..

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Put it in the front..………..

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a supercharged setup like this a while back and the powertrain was so big that it actually entered into the interior where the console is. The supercharger belt was turning only inches away from the drivers head. There was somewhat of a plastic shield there but if that belt came off at 6,000 RPM the driver may be less one head. Scary.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I saw a supercharged setup like this a while back and the powertrain was so big that it actually entered into the interior where the console is. The supercharger belt was turning only inches away from the drivers head. There was somewhat of a plastic shield there but if that belt came off at 6,000 RPM the driver may be less one head. Scary.

That is the same car we are discussing.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No. There isn't a manual transmission option at this point that would put the engine in the same spot and drive the rear wheels...

If that is what you are looking for, then turn the engine backwards, use a T56 6 speed, point the tailshaft to the front, us a V drive to change rotation and give you a driveshaft that will now go rearward to the rear differential. Lots of custom fab work...

I have always wanted to do this. That would definitely be how to do a all wheel drive too.
Miller5862

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miller5862Send a Private Message to Miller5862Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I have always wanted to do this. That would definitely be how to do a all wheel drive too.

Awd fiero racer would be pretty end game stuff.. the dream
Rick Morehouse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2020 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MorehouseSend a Private Message to Rick MorehouseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OR you could find an old Pontiac Tempest rear transaxle, 3 or 4 speed or automatic, say from a 1961-63, hook up your V-8 and install(after you stretch something). JUST A THOUGHT!?! The Olds/Buick/Caddy T/As are hard to find as well. Best of luck.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The guy i quoted said tornado so assumed there was a tranny by that name.

My bad on the typo. Sorry for causing confusion, I meant that the transmission he used was from a Buick Toronado which allowed the longitudinal setup. Anyway, looks like the others got you pointed on the right direction.
PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:

My bad on the typo. Sorry for causing confusion, I meant that the transmission he used was from a Buick Toronado which allowed the longitudinal setup. Anyway, looks like the others got you pointed on the right direction.

Lol! What you REALLY meant was Oldsmobile Toronado. Worry not, there are spelling monitors and fact checkers among the readers. Tornado does sound like a rip roaring racing transmission moniker...

liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Lol! What you REALLY meant was Oldsmobile Toronado. Worry not, there are spelling monitors and fact checkers among the readers. Tornado does sound like a rip roaring racing transmission moniker...

Yes thank you! I got to stop posting on pff in the early morning lol!
Miller5862

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2020 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miller5862Send a Private Message to Miller5862Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nvm

[This message has been edited by Miller5862 (edited 06-07-2020).]

Miller5862

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2020 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miller5862Send a Private Message to Miller5862Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can someone show me a v drive? Ive been looking all i find is stuff for marine. Is the marine v drive what youd use for the rear facing engine?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2020 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can someone show me a v drive? Ive been looking all i find is stuff for marine. Is the marine v drive what youd use for the rear facing engine?

If you install a longitudinal V8, you don't need a V-drive. You will simply have to remove the trunk for more room and use the proper transmission. Here's a webpage regarding transmissions and the setup:
http://www.nathanbittinger....fieroaddiction/sbc-l
Miller5862

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2020 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miller5862Send a Private Message to Miller5862Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you install a longitudinal V8, you don't need a V-drive. You will simply have to remove the trunk for more room and use the proper transmission. Here's a webpage regarding transmissions and the setup:
http://www.nathanbittinger....fieroaddiction/sbc-l

My car isnt automatic. And i already planned to remove the trunk and cut into cab if needed but those seem to require automatics. In fact im gonna widen stance just to redo the well and move the clutch out from under the steering column i cant steer when i clutch cause feet to big or push clutch all the way down if not using tip toes. I like the 6 speed tranny with v idea but i cant figure out the v.

My goal would be a 6 speed 350 5.7l with super charger. So like 7 grand in completed tranny engine and a bunch of fabricating and fiber glass.. i just need to figure out that v method lol i cannot. I had a custom corvette and it was nowhere near as complicated.

[This message has been edited by Miller5862 (edited 08-26-2020).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2020 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Casale is one of the main people who make the drives for boats. They were also used in several 4x4 vehicles over the years. You can contact them for information. Hemi Under Glass uses one of the v-drive setups also:

http://www.casalev-drive.com

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-26-2020).]

Miller5862

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2020 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miller5862Send a Private Message to Miller5862Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Casale is one of the main people who make the drives for boats. They were also used in several 4x4 vehicles over the years. You can contact them for information. Hemi Under Glass uses one of the v-drive setups also:

http://www.casalev-drive.com

Ty those look nothong like the v drives ive been seeing on google lol.

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2020 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by IMSA GT:

http://www.nathanbittinger....fieroaddiction/sbc-l[/QUOte

There was Bubbajoe's... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000007.html

Bob

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock