Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
   The Driven Visions Notchback Tail light Panel (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Driven Visions Notchback Tail light Panel by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 01-25-2020 07:03 PM
Replies: 47 (1263 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 08-21-2020 07:34 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Driven Visions was a custom fiberglass business run by Joe Ophoven and his wife Jenny O'Konek in Duluth, Minnesota. Joe produced some great fiberglass parts and designed a nice looking notchback light panel. Just when I was about to order one in 2008 Joe passed away and apparently Driven Visions closed. Does anyone here know what became of the molds to the light panel shown in the picture? I saw one that was installed and it looked super. The panel also used inexpensive commonly available aftermarket lights. I believe that the molds were sold to a supplier (Dan?) who made products for the now defunct Fiero Fiberglass but to my knowledge the panel was never put back in production again. Does anyone know what became of this product?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Geez, I don't know Dennis... it looks kind of weird installed up there.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Geez, I don't know Dennis... it looks kind of weird installed up there.

Here are the pictures that show this panel installed. The other picture may have been taken before the maker had a chance to install it. At least we know that at one time this panel did exist. It really changes the look of the notchback. If the mold is out there somewhere it must be in great shape as the seller passed away about 2 months after the product was introduced. I guess this product will join the unsolved mysteries of where the Mecham side scoops ended up.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 01-25-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I couldn't find the pictures that show this panel installed.

I've seen at least one "installed" picture... and yes, it looks sharp. I'll see if I can find one.

[EDIT] Here's one. I'll try and find another where the panel is the same color as the body.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-25-2020).]

Villain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VillainSend a Private Message to VillainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a product, sold it on here, i know where the mold is along with mecham molds.
Johns 4.9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
/|\ /|\ Damn, that looks good! /|\ /|\
Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Johns 4.9:

Thank you

Oh, you're welcome! Does it also have a 4.9 in it... and what tranny?

Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, 4.9 and Isuzu 5-speed. Cheers
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, 4.9 and Isuzu 5-speed.

John, do you have a build thread on this Fiero?

PFF
System Bot
Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. Just kind of do my own thing. I just added a new set of headers.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No.

That's a shame. Looks like a very nice machine.

Are you concerned at all about the durability of the Isuzu behind that engine... or is the car designed to be more of a "cruiser" than a stop light warrior?

Villain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VillainSend a Private Message to VillainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a product, sold it on here, i know where the mold is along with mecham molds.
Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Villain
It is a nice light panel but back-up lights should be a consideration. Wiring was a bit tricky. I'm happy with mine.
Cheers
Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Johns 4.9

136 posts
Member since Jun 2017
Patrick,
My car is hardly a stop light warrior! lol Its good for autocross and curvy mountain roads. Its light, handles good and brakes well. I haven't had any problems with the transmission in the five years I've had the car together. I'm pretty conservative when taking off and shifting and its only a 4.9, so I think I'm okay.....for now.
Cheers
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My car is hardly a stop light warrior! lol Its good for autocross and...

Wow, I'm surprised that your Isuzu's 2nd gear hasn't given up the ghost behind that engine if you autocross. My experience when autocrossing is that 2nd gear really takes a pounding. Glad to hear you've not experienced any issues.

Apologies to Dennis for sort of sidetracking this thread.

Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Villain
It is a nice light panel but back-up lights should be a consideration. Wiring was a bit tricky. I'm happy with mine.
Cheers

Hi, John. Would you mind describing the trickiness of the wiring? I have a set of these lights waiting to be installed on my car.

Thanks.

Ernie

------------------
'87 Fiero 4.9 5-speed

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Villain
Cheers

Problem easily solved using Pilot Navigator back up lights that fit nearly perfectly into the reflector slots in the rear facia. Perhaps another location can be found on the panel itself but unless its the same identical size of the other lights only in clear, it may ruin the appearance. As for the panel itself, it the molds are still around, it escapes me on why these panels have not been sold again. They use a stock type of universal "off the shelf" trailer tail light (also available in LED form) so its an economical install. The demand may be there and IMO, they really improve the appearance.
The other comment that was made here was "I know where the molds are" So what, how does that secret help Fiero owners?

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Villain:

So Trent, I'll ask this since the Al Lindsey style taillight panel has just resurfaced after all these years. What is the secrecy of all these molds. Everyone who mentions them is from Florida (where they originated) so you obviously have some sort of connection to these. Are you family of the original owner of the molds? You offer a lot of products for sale and they are all legitimate as I've posted pictures for you in the Mall so I know you are not a scam. What I don't understand is why is there such "teasing" about these products. And I don't direct that comment just towards you. Others make the same claims as you. Why not just come on here and say "My dad owns them" or "Jim Cleary owns them". Why such secrecy? It's annoying as hell.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 01-26-2020).]

Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Ernie,
The wiring was a bit tricky because of the way I wanted the lights to work. Both lights on each side light up for brake lights and turn signal. I think the Fiero had a separate lamp for the turn signal. Back-up lights were mounted in the bumper. Brake lights are controlled by a pressure switch from one of the master cylinders.
Good luck with yours!
Cheers,
John
PFF
System Bot
Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dennis,
I think you are correct. Leave the panel alone and mount the back-up lights in the bumper where the stock reflector goes. I got my back-up lights at Autozone right off the shelf in the accessory aisle. Much brighter than the stock lights.
Cheers
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

So Trent, I'll ask this since the Al Lindsey style taillight panel has just resurfaced after all these years. What is the secrecy of all these molds. Everyone who mentions them is from Florida (where they originated) so you obviously have some sort of connection to these. Are you family of the original owner of the molds? You offer a lot of products for sale and they are all legitimate as I've posted pictures for you in the Mall so I know you are not a scam. What I don't understand is why is there such "teasing" about these products. And I don't direct that comment just towards you. Others make the same claims as you. Why not just come on here and say "My dad owns them" or "Jim Cleary owns them". Why such secrecy? It's annoying as hell.

One of Joes old threads. He made some great stuff. Check out those headlights. Beautiful.
Driven Visions Fiberglass Creations
The late Joe Ophoven /Driven Visions was based in Minnesota. I believe that Joe did all of his own fiberglass work.. When Joe passed away in 2008 shortly thereafter, his widow Jenny O'Konek offered the equipment and molds owned by the business for sale. There was a forum member that went up there to make an offer (he may have been from Florida) but I don't know if a sale was made. The entire story was told on this forum a while back but if anyone knows Jenny she could tell us. All I know is that I am on this forum to share info and help other members when I can. If I know something useful I share it and why not? Trent obviously takes an opposite view.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 01-26-2020).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

John, do you have a build thread on this Fiero?

Patrick, you might be interested in this:

http://johns49performance.com/index.html
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

David, thanks!
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had one on my 88. Those pictures above of the red car with the black panel are of my car. I sold it a few years ago to put stock lights with embrace racing led kits. It’s fit wasn’t perfect but it looked really good. Kinda wish I didn’t sell it.

------------------
88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
84 IMSA wide body SE: 3800 Swap in progress

Villain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VillainSend a Private Message to VillainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do i take an opposite view? And what have i been secretive about exactly? As you stated, you have posted photos for me. I have nothing to hide. And furthermore, it’s not that I’m family with anyone, it’s that alot of aftermarket parts were produced in florida and I know where to look for stuff. People call me quite frequently on leads of places to check, and I’m actually pretty well known to the facebook group as someone who can procure just about anything you can think of made for fieros. I don’t even keep the parts most of the time, it’s the hunt for rare items that is fun to me so cool your jets 😂
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Villain:

How do i take an opposite view? And what have i been secretive about exactly? As you stated, you have posted photos for me. I have nothing to hide. And furthermore, it’s not that I’m family with anyone, it’s that alot of aftermarket parts were produced in florida and I know where to look for stuff. People call me quite frequently on leads of places to check, and I’m actually pretty well known to the facebook group as someone who can procure just about anything you can think of made for fieros. I don’t even keep the parts most of the time, it’s the hunt for rare items that is fun to me so cool your jets 😂

Thanks for great information that will help all of us forum members!

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis and John, thanks for the info.

Ernie
Johns 4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Johns 4.9Click Here to visit Johns 4.9's HomePageSend a Private Message to Johns 4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to help, Ernie.
Cheers
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

/|\ /|\ Damn, that looks good! /|\ /|\

I believe that the panel that you reference was custom made by John, by setting the C4 lenses in the notchback tail light covers or he may have used a blank Pisa panel and cut it . The original panel made by Joe at Driven Visions; used Universal Tail lights for a trailer or truck marker lights. Similar LED lights have come on the market and they are inexpensive. I doubt if we will ever see the Driven Visions rear tail light panel manufactured again or the beautiful front headlight setup that Joe designed. At this point in time, it appears that only a very few fiberglass companies interested in producing Fiero parts remain.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

PFF
System Bot
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stupid question, where are the reverse lights?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by andreww:

Stupid question, where are the reverse lights?

The back up lights are Pilot Navigator lights that just happen to fit exactly in the space on the facia where the reflectors are now. These are very inexpensive and since they are Halogen, provide about twice the light of the Fiero back up/reverse lights. I believe that the pictures on this thread show them.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Panel is prepped, painted, color sanded, buffed and polished. Gloss black. Ready to go in. Maybe tomorrow. This shot isn't the best, but it at least gives an idea of the difference.

Ernie

------------------
'87 Fiero 4.9 5-speed

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Warlordsix:

Panel is prepped, painted, color sanded, buffed and polished. Gloss black. Ready to go in. Maybe tomorrow. This shot isn't the best, but it at least gives an idea of the difference.

Ernie

Looks real nice. The black panel seems to enhance the look of the four taillights. IMO, painting the panel the color of the car seems to lose the look .

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"The black panel seems to enhance the look of the four taillights."

Agreed. Also, I added aluminum tape to the panel behind each lens to act as a full width/height reflector. That REALLY made the lenses pop.

Ernie

------------------
'87 Fiero 4.9 5-speed

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Warlordsix:

"The black panel seems to enhance the look of the four taillights."

Agreed. Also, I added aluminum tape to the panel behind each lens to act as a full width/height reflector. That REALLY made the lenses pop.

Ernie

We think alike. When I dd the Corvette C4 panel I used chrome silver paint in the taillight housings. I can confirm that it brightens up the look. If you used the direct fit LED 2057 lights they also seem to add more brightness. IMO custom taillight panels make the Fiero more modern looking. While most use the stock taillight look, they look as a very dedicated 80's style to me. Nothing wrong with them but for my taste the custom panels look better.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post08-16-2020 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Speaking of the Corvette panels, I almost bought a Fiero with a C4 Corvette tail light panel already installed. And the instant I saw it in person was the instant I decided that the thing had to go as soon as possible. Even if it had been painted a different color, any color. Even if it had enhancements to break up the large field... You can make them look 'better' with some mods, but to look the best that it can it should just be replaced.

It's not a Corvette and back in the day Corvette people helped trash the Fiero. Pontiac had the most aggressive styling house and did it better than the rest of GM. Blending the two makes it look lesser. The Notchie tail lights need nothing other than perhaps the LED setups installed. Putting Corvette-esque panels on the Notchback makes it look like a cartoon hat/character off of Lidsville if anyone remembers that Saturday morning show.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2020 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Speaking of the Corvette panels, I almost bought a Fiero with a C4 Corvette tail light panel already installed. And the instant I saw it in person was the instant I decided that the thing had to go as soon as possible. Even if it had been painted a different color, any color. Even if it had enhancements to break up the large field... You can make them look 'better' with some mods, but to look the best that it can it should just be replaced.

It's not a Corvette and back in the day Corvette people helped trash the Fiero. Pontiac had the most aggressive styling house and did it better than the rest of GM. Blending the two makes it look lesser. The Notchie tail lights need nothing other than perhaps the LED setups installed. Putting Corvette-esque panels on the Notchback makes it look like a cartoon hat/character off of Lidsville if anyone remembers that Saturday morning show.

The C4 Vette, Euro, Pisa Ferrari and Driven Visions style taillight panels all change the stock Fiero look to a custom look. People do buy them as they want a different taillight design. I really like mine and am glad that I did the change but you apparently have a different opinion. I guess that I am just not part of the group think crowd.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post08-16-2020 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Group think is nothing that would describe my positions on most things. I'd disagree that it's a custom look. Buying something off the shelf isn't custom. It's aftermarket. Custom is using individual imagination to create something unique.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock