Maintenance Tips for a New Owner? by Godhydra
Started on: 05-20-2019 04:03 PM
Replies: 8 (537 views)
Last post by: hercimer01 on 05-21-2019 01:22 PM
Godhydra

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodhydraSend a Private Message to GodhydraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently got a 1985 Fiero Notchback with the Duke in it, and I've been enjoying it (As much as I could with it sitting in my back yard). I know next to nothing about Fieros, and I'm only just getting into really working on cars. I've never really touched a car with the intent on working on it, so I guess my Fiero will be a little bit of a learner car, both for driving and for working on it.

The previous owner sold it mainly because it kept pulling to the left after a while. It's not a hard pull, but if you let go of the wheel for more than a second it's going to put you into a tree. The steering wheel isn't perfectly straight when driving in a straight line. I suspect (hopefully) it's just an alignment issue, but I might check the steering rack just in case. It's also been sitting for a while with the previous owners, but it's been started up periodically for moving. New coolant, oil, and possibly tires (Though they look fine, no cracking or any visible damage, but regardless I'll be getting new tires by the end of the summer hopefully) are going to be on the list. I can't check the mileage at the moment.

Other quality-of-life fixes like fixing the sagging door on the driver side, getting a new lock for the trunk, getting a new radio, and a fresh clear coat will come after all of the necessities are taken care of. I might also modify it farther into the future. If you want me to go into more details about that, just ask.

------------------
[Noob Alert!]
Owner of a 1985 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 Notchback. :)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There could be other things causing the pull than the steering rack. It may be worth the investment to have an alignment shop look at it. They should be able to identify bad tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings or any other worn parts. Just ask them if they would give it an inspection, pre-alignment so you don't have to pay for a second alignment after replacing parts.

The Fiero is a good car for learning automotive repair and maintenance. Sometimes frustrating, sometimes straining the pocketbook, but they are a world of joy when you've accomplished a repair and can enjoy it on the road.

Before you sink a lot into it, be sure to pull the trunk liner and look in each lower corner for rust. Also, inside each rear fenderwell, in the arch at the bottom of the fenderwell liner, feel up inside for rust-through on the lower frame rail.

Welcome.
dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulling could also be brakes. Jack up the front end and see if the wheels spin freely, same left-to-right. If one side is harder to turn than the other, think nasty rotor, frozen caliper, or crap in brake line.

While the wheels are up, you can also do the basic checks for really bad steering/suspension components; namely, move the tire up and down with hands at 6 and 12 o'clock, and left and right with hands at 3 and 9. If the tire wiggles vertically, think balljoints or other suspension. If instead if shifts left to right, think tie rod ends. Not 100% accurate and you can certainly also use a real mechanic, but it's a quickie reality check you can do at home for free.

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 05-20-2019).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something I learned about checking suspension as dremu describes. To check the ball joints the car must be lifted by its control arms. If lifted by the body, the suspension loads downward on the ball joints and they won't move. Lifting by the control arms will allow you to wiggle the wheels as described and observe any movement of the ball joints. To check the ball joints, you will need a good pry bar or 2 x 4 to lift up on the bottom of the tire.

Grabbing the wheel at 12 and 6 is to check for any play in the wheel bearings. 3 and 9 checks tie rod ends.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Door sag on Fiero’s is all too common. Most auto stores sell the “Help” line and there is a door pin hinge kit that will work for you. Don’t remember the Help number though. Rodney Dickman.com also sells the right door pin hinge kit. And you can always trust anything you buy from Rodney! Dont try to do the job until you get a door spring compressor though. Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 05-20-2019).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bad wheel bearing could cause the car to pull to one side, also.....

One thing you should check is the ventilation fan resistor pack for rats nests, leaves, etc. To the right of center on the firewall in front compartment where the three wires connect to it- simply pull it and check behind......The resistors can set fire to debris!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-21-2019 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep this forum in your phones bookmarks. Many a Fiero enthusiast has been helped on the side of the road by posting a thread for answers.

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulling can be front axle, back axle or both even tho you feel this thru steering wheel.
Check for brake and suspension problems.
See my Cave, Brake Service etc
Note if have brake problem likely will heat 1 rotor more the other on same axle. If you have rims so you can easily see the rotors Get cheap IR thremometer from HF etc. See my Cave, IR thermometer

Tires... look at the tread carefully more in the low spots. Sidewall maybe look good but can has crack tread exposing the belts and means tire is trash. Example:
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-21-2019).]

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock