Baby's First Engine Swap by BadNewsBrendan
Started on: 12-08-2018 01:35 AM
Replies: 93 (2348 views)
Last post by: BadNewsBrendan on 06-22-2020 08:50 AM
BadNewsBrendan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2020 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IP: Logged
BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2020 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BadNewsBrendan

196 posts
Member since Aug 2018
Probably won't be pulling the engine until next winter as there are a lot of other things I need to do on it to make it more practical and reliable for this summer and want to get some miles on the engine before tearing it apart again. Just getting them cleaned up and oiled for storage.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleClick Here to Email pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you use walnut shells or something?

If the blasting media is too nasty, you may want to strip the heads apart for a good cleaning, to keep from contaminating the oil with abrasive particles.
BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not entirely sure what it was the guy I bought it from used. Was planning on scrubbing it in a warm soapy water bath and then maybe running it through the dishwasher when the GF isn't here

Otherwise will probably get it cleaned at the engine shop down the road before swapping them on.
BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2020 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went for a cruise to a state park over lunch. I'm liking wheel well gap a lot better since i lowered it a couple inches. Hopefully no more guys asking me if i lifted it at gas stations. May have cut the bump stops a bit too far cause its rubbed when hitting a few bumps but oh well.

ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2020 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigyClick Here to Email ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i admire your persistence

nice job man! looking sharp
BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2020 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was out for a cruise and hit the rev limiter once on an on ramp. Engine started popping very badly and died. Would not start and had to tow it home. First thought was the cam sensor connector popped out cause the clip is broken but it was still connected. Hopefully it didn't float a valve. Going to compression test it tonight. Maybe the cam or crank sensor went out? Hopefully i didn't just ruin a 3rd engine

If anyone has other thoughts on something else it could be I would appreciate it. Will update once compression tested.

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2020 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleClick Here to Email pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BadNewsBrendan:
hit the rev limiter once on an on ramp.

At what RPM was that?
BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2020 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever stock is (5600?) so wouldn't think it would hurt it. Did a compression test tonight and was fine, all over 165 psi
Modesto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2020 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ModestoSend a Private Message to ModestoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ohh my. You have much more patience than I do. I considered just using the 3.4 short block I pulled from the junk yard as is because it was relatively low miles and looked so good internally. I'll obviously never know if it would have been fine but the thought of completing a swap to only get a few hundred miles out of it makes my head spin. Way to go on not giving up!
BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2020 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! It ended up just being a wiring issue. One of the belts rubbed through the crank position sensor wiring so i spliced in a longer wire with the connector from a spare harness i have and routed it around and it fired right up!!
PFF
System Bot
BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2020 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The plot thickens and can explain why the wire started rubbing on the belt. I hit a bump in the road a while back and it wasn't anything to crazy so i made sure i wasn't leaking oil and figured something hit the sub frame and didn't drive it since except last week cause the trans seal started leaking and took me a while to get that replaced. Not sure how I didn't notice this while replacing that but....

Guess i can count myself lucky it didn't dump the oil and destroy the engine.

[This message has been edited by BadNewsBrendan (edited 06-21-2020).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2020 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleClick Here to Email pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump in the road, or the mother of all craters

I suggest Rodney Dickman polyurethane mounts, especially for the two transmission mounts.

The rubber transmission mounts I've tried tore apart even with a stock 2.8 L (and no big bumps that I can recall).
BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah mother of all bumps i guess, just confused how it missed the subframe and hit the oil pan and confused how it didn't pierce the oil pan but broke the engine mount.

Thanks for the tip, will probably go that route with the poly mounts for the trans. Surprisingly the rubber on the stock fiero engine mount didn't break but the steel on the mount for the 3800 conversion did. Must be using a pretty low grade steel but I guess its not like it should be seeing that high of a force especially in that direction.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock