Help me select or tune ?my horns by longjonsilver
Started on: 08-27-2018 12:31 PM
Replies: 12 (327 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 10-17-2018 10:16 AM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have always hated my wimpy Fiero horns. Sounds like the duke accelerates. ;-) So reading threads on horns i trot off to the scrap yard to find some. i found a cool one off a Caddy with a TRUMPET attached to it, rusty tho. i also pulled two off an Oldsmobile that are interconnected on the drivers side - one wire to two horns. Kinda cool. They are real greasy - thats a good thing for those of you that don't live in the rustbelt. One horn is damaged in an on-purpose-ident. Here are the horns:

best image hosting

They come from these cars:

Caddy

Oldsmobile

i didn't buy any horns because i came back with more questions than i left with.

As a woodwind musician (horns are my thing) i want to play not just a two note chord but a minor triad or even a minor seventh, which means that i need three or four horns. Can horns be tuned? How? Can i tune my Fiero horns?

Some guys on this forum say that Caddy horns sound good. Are there two of them? i only found one from the Caddy in the pic, and i can't find any horns on other Caddys. Where are they? What do big older Oldsmobile horns sound like? i can't find horns on Chevy trucks. Where are they? Which are the best sounding horns?

thanks
jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun! 3800 SC swap to come!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Charlie1963

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie1963Send a Private Message to Charlie1963Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the type of setup you need. There's 4 horns, A,C,D,F notes. Sounds great, I have a set like these on my Fiero. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM...4:g:f54AAOSwo2dbfO~D
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-27-2018).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie1963:

Here's the type of setup you need. There's 4 horns, A,C,D,F notes. Sounds great, I have a set like these on my Fiero. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM...4:g:f54AAOSwo2dbfO~D

Cool, they tune to a D minor 7 chord in the second inversion. ;-) What more could i want? How to test them in the scrapyard before buying? What are the electrical challenges of hooking up 4 horns to a Fiero system that is designed for 1 or 2??? i notice that the horns from the Oldsmobile that are daisy chained together use substantially heavier wire than my horns.

jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun! 3800 SC swap to come!

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2018 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many horns can be tuned. Look at your dual horns. See the Torx Head stud sticking up? That will change the tone or volume of the horn. I forget which.
Charlie1963

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2018 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie1963Send a Private Message to Charlie1963Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

Cool, they tune to a D minor 7 chord in the second inversion. ;-) What more could i want? How to test them in the scrapyard before buying? What are the electrical challenges of hooking up 4 horns to a Fiero system that is designed for 1 or 2??? i notice that the horns from the Oldsmobile that are daisy chained together use substantially heavier wire than my horns.

jon

I simply connected two of the new horns to each one of the stock horn wires. I didn't have to change the fuse or other wiring. If you're a member of the Fiero group on f/b this link will take to a clip that plays the stock horns and the new horns on my car. https://www.facebook.com/ch...os/1988715024481888/
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2018 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two Notes are often better then one even tho sound level is close to same.
Beat Frequency sound often gets thru other noises and sound insulation better. (Is part of why old Conelrad/EAS/EBS Sound was made to have two "notes"/tones. like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exf3PtnhQv8 )

Best is Get a set of horn from same car. Most Any vehicle w/ 2 horn are good.

See my Cave, Horn

To test the two tone setup use Audacity/Generate/Tone
Mute one tone, play and un mute that tone.
Two EAS tones are nice hearing either but "hurts" to hear both at same time. Note that you can easily make the EAS tones but Do Not broadcast them. FCC have fined many people/companies even for faking true tones. https://www.broadcastlawblo...nd-other-eas-issues/

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-28-2018).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2018 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For my cars I got horns from any GM full-size van or truck.
The hi/low pair are loud and sound better than the poor factory Fiero ones.

If you want to play music - get something like this.
https://www.amazon.ca/Wolo-...araha/dp/B00029XHWC/

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-29-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2018 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

If you want to play music - get something like this.
https://www.amazon.ca/Wolo-...araha/dp/B00029XHWC/
Almost any "big" cars have better horns too.

You should have a switch to use OE style quickly when you have a music/air horns. Most of them sold thru Wolo Fiamm and others are junk and often fail in a year or less. Fiamm aftermarket horns of any type are not the same as sold to OEM. In some places, using musical and/or air horns can get you stopped for noise and other reasons from cops so having a switch to what horns are used can be handy driving thru them. Or keep OE setup and use second horn button to run these.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

i pulled the horns from the Caddy in the original picture, not the other car. Easy peasy. The Caddy horns were all greasy and therefore not rusted. They were hidden on the drivers side, and the horn with the trumpet was in front of the radiator. i want to assure myself that the trumpet one works before buying it, , because it wasn't greasy and so i has rust. So i just installed the small horns. They are tuned to a Gb and Bb. A major third (or a minor 6th ), in any case they sound like a read car now. i wonder how much better they will sound with the trumpet one installed. i pulled the Y wire so i can hook up two to one side.
Plug right in to the stock wires and ground to the chassis. Along with my power brake booster from a 95 GMC Sonoma, i feel like i have a new car. A Sonoma booster is a good thing to have for an ex-northern California guy.

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie1963:

If you're a member of the Fiero group on f/b this link will take to a clip that plays the stock horns and the new horns on my car.

https://www.facebook.com/ch...os/1988715024481888/

The multiple horns are a huge improvement. I can also tell in the audio clip that either you have a dog... or you're very light on your feet.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2018 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't like the sound of having only one horn as it was low. Then I added a Fiamm aftermarket horn. It was better but not too loud. Finally changed the horn rely and now the horns blow pretty loud. The relay was not making full contact and that caused the horns to give out a weak sound.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-17-2018).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2018 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
I didn't like the sound of having only one horn as it was low. Then I added a Fiamm aftermarket horn. It was better but not too loud. Finally changed the horn rely and now the horns blow pretty loud. The relay was not making full contact and that caused the horns to give out a weak sound.

My 84 had two horns from the factory, and i installed two horns. i might add the trumpet horn from the Caddy if it tests out or if it can be repaired. It must have a low tone. A major third is nice, but a REAL chord would be much better. My car always has had a wimpy sound, but not now!

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock