Started on: 08-13-2018 07:30 AM
Replies: 13 (372 views)
Last post by: RCR on 08-17-2018 06:53 AM
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2018 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick question for anyone that's done the swap.

Does the ride height seem higher? Have you been able to get the car to the same ride height or lower than the pre-88 suspension?

I ask because mine seems very high, even with a coil cut out. I'm not quite sure how I will get it lower.

Bob

------------------

My Build

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2018 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May or may not help since mine is an 86. But when I cut my springs for lowering, I didn't get the full effect until after I took it for a drive and let the springs fully seat/settle. Mine looked like yours after putting weight in it, but then lowered after the test drive. You could probably try bouncing the front end a bit to get you a better idea right now if your car is not movable.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2018 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by da.slyboy:

May or may not help since mine is an 86. But when I cut my springs for lowering, I didn't get the full effect until after I took it for a drive and let the springs fully seat/settle. Mine looked like yours after putting weight in it, but then lowered after the test drive. You could probably try bouncing the front end a bit to get you a better idea right now if your car is not movable.

The car has been on the blocks for two years now. You'd think it would settle by now. Thanx for the thought, though.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 08-14-2018).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2018 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob, it could sit there forever and not settle, it needs to be driven.
The 88's sat an inch higher in the front by design, as customers of earlier cars complained about scraping the front air dams (and worse) on curbs, etc.
Do you have lowering springs, ball joints or cut springs on the front?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2018 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you make sure the springs were properly seated in the crossmember and on the lower a-arm? It is easy to install the springs wrong and doing so will raise the front.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2018 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe, didn't know that, but the car has been driven a little bit. Hopefully that's it. I did cut one coil from the stock springs, FWIW, otherwise stock 88.

Guru, I think I did it right. I've read that could be an issue. Is there any tell-tales that I can use to verify it's right or wrong?

thanx for the feedback guys,

Bob
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2018 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob, I think that the driving also helps to fully seat the top of the spring and the rubber isolator fully into the upper spring pocket. It's almost a force fit that is almost impossible to get done by pushing up, setting the car on the ground or even driving around the block.
Hitting the brakes or finding some speed bumps helps to get the front settled into place.
What diameter are your front tires?
Also, are the wheel arches higher in the Ferrari body than in the Fiero?
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2018 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Bob, I think that the driving also helps to fully seat the top of the spring and the rubber isolator fully into the upper spring pocket. It's almost a force fit that is almost impossible to get done by pushing up, setting the car on the ground or even driving around the block.
Hitting the brakes or finding some speed bumps helps to get the front settled into place.
What diameter are your front tires?
Also, are the wheel arches higher in the Ferrari body than in the Fiero?

Thanx for the info, Joe.

I'm not quite sure, as these are just junk yard rollers to move the car around. The plan is for 25-26" diameter, which should help a bit. And, the Mera seems to have higher arches, too, which obviously isn't helping.

I'll try to stick my nose up there this weekend and see if the springs are fully seated.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2018 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Here are two pictures of Meras from the 35 show. One high, one low.

Bob

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2018 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Original tire size on the MERA was significantly larger than the Fiero, wasn't it?
Something like 265/50/15?
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2018 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Original tire size on the MERA was significantly larger than the Fiero, wasn't it?
Something like 265/50/15?

That number is correct for the stock rear tires on a Mera. Factory standard for the front tires was 245 x 50 x15. Based on personal experience, you can run the 265s on all four corners but may have a bit of rubbing on the front tires at low speeds in a tight turn.

Nelson
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2018 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that info!
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2018 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The black car has Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2, 225 x 50 x16 on the front and 255 x 50 x 16 on the rear
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2018 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

The black car has Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2, 225 x 50 x16 on the front and 255 x 50 x 16 on the rear

Thanx for the info. That would be about a 25" tall front, and a 26" for the rear. That's what I would be targeting.

Bob

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock