runnin waaaaaay to rich by fierofrenzy
Started on: 08-10-2018 08:23 PM
Replies: 5 (195 views)
Last post by: fierofrenzy on 08-11-2018 11:12 AM
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2018 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, remember the 87 4cyl I bought 2 months back and boasted on how good she runs ? Well guess what, she doesn't run good any more. Matter of fact, the car runs awful.
It appears to me that the throttle body is dumping waaaaay to much fuel into the engine. When I look down the TB throat I can see loads of fuel being injected into the motor. The spark plugs are also pitch black. Obviously their aint much to this engine, so I'm hoping to fix it myself before she goes to the garage. ( Even thought I have a great place I take my cars to. )
So what do you think ? You all have been excellent in a number of issues I've had between my two Fieros. Anybody know the fix to this one ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2018 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

When I look down the TB throat I can see loads of fuel being injected into the motor.

Does it continue when the motor is turned off... until the fuel pressure subsides?

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2018 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No Patrick, no it does not.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2018 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofrenzy

851 posts
Member since Nov 2006
No Patrick, no it does not.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2018 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The easiest way to start would be with a scan tool. Look at the coolant temp sensor and see what it thinks the coolant temp is. If the ECM thinks it's cold, it will dump in a lot more fuel.
The IAT sensor is in the intake manifold. It will be harder to determine where it's supposed to read, since the air has already been heated by the intake.
You can also measure the temp sensor resistance with an ohm meter. This is a chart that I found online.

Also check to make sure that your O2 sensor isn't lying. I had one that read "full lean" (even though it wasn't) which caused my ECM to attempt to run "full rich".
Failed (miserably) an emissions test, and killed a catalyst because of it.
If you have a scan tool, the O2 sensor will read .445 volts when it's cold. As it warms up, it will switch back and forth between ~200 mV and 800 mV. This could/should happen several times per second, but even if it's slower, it should be okay. Just as long as it doesn't drop to around 200 mV and stay there.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-11-2018).]

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2018 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks you guys......looks like this ones goin to the shop. I got a great group of guys that actually are top notch and top trustworthy. Giddeons in Woodstock Ga,
i'll let them figure it out while I vacation at the beach. Zoom Zoom.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock