Trunk weatherstrip? by copperhens
Started on: 06-06-2018 03:06 PM
Replies: 29 (669 views)
Last post by: steve308 on 06-14-2018 08:49 AM
copperhens

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2018 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to do my fastback's trunk weatherstrip and don't wanna spend $150 on TFS. Older pennocks threads mentioned JC Whitney. The links in the threads redirect to the home page. Comments mentioned the JC weather strip to be $40. The one I found is $10... can't be same thing right? Anyone have a link to it?

Here is what I found: http://www.jcwhitney.com/de...W78348.html#plpslot1
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2018 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want a dry trunk bite the bullet and buy the Fiero Store trunk weatherstrip.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2018 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the pick & pull junk yards in your local area. If they have a FIERO or two on the lot you can usually find a usable engine or front trunk with the gasket you are looking for. A couple of bucks to get in and a couple of bucks for the gasket.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2018 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by copperhens:

I need to do my fastback's trunk weatherstrip...

That's been a common issue expressed here for a long time.

For a bit of PFF history on one solution (at the time) to this challenge, have a look at This thread.

And depending on terms used, a search in the archives will bring up many alternatives that have been mentioned to try.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2018 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The TFS seal is the way to go. I have all 3 seals.
freedom0226

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2018 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
same here I live in CA only drive on nice days and park in a gargage I do not need the $ 150 seal. I have tried all those searches to only come up to home pages of JC whitney .

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-070234.html

check this out in the link page 2 someone mentions part numbers but those are no longer sold by autozone but the part number comes right up for ebay or amazon ( Metro weatherstrip new part number MW00100 ) . I am going to order one and I will let you know. Also Autozone has one that seems like it MIGHT work in this link.

https://www.autozone.com/se...bulb-seal/267100_0_0

[This message has been edited by freedom0226 (edited 06-06-2018).]

freedom0226

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2018 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

freedom0226

954 posts
Member since Dec 2009
so based off the picture it looks to me like the autozone link is better. they actually have one in stock and I am going to go get it now and I will let you know if it fits.

Part Number: MW78348

https://www.autozone.com/se...bulb-seal/267100_0_0
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2018 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There used to be a guy on this forum who went by the alias " Infinitwill" who made and sold the trunk weatherstrips but he disappeared and no longer posts. In some of his posts he indicated ill health so who knows if he is even still with us. IMO, the problem with other solutions is that they don't provide a tight seal especially at the corners. The trunk seal is something that you do not buy often so the $140 may hurt but it may be the last one that you buy. If you are looking for the cheap solution, you can try piecing together a good section of an old weatherstrip to repair yours, joining the seams with contact adhesive.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2018 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

There used to be a guy on this forum who went by the alias " Infinitwill" who made and sold the trunk weatherstrips but he disappeared and no longer posts.

Try clicking my link.

Originally posted by Patrick:

For a bit of PFF history on one solution (at the time) to this challenge, have a look at This thread.

copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2018 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My trunk does leak now. Just some areas are torn. Thanks for the info.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2018 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There used to be a guy on this forum who went by the alias " Infinitwill" who made and sold the trunk weatherstrips but he disappeared and no longer posts. In some of his posts he indicated ill health so who knows if he is even still with us.

I seem to recall a certain now-banned member causing Will to pack up and leave here for good.

PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2018 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:
I seem to recall a certain now-banned member causing Will to pack up and leave here for good.

That was half of it, but certainly a trigger. Wiill is still around.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2018 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Infinitewill is around, he attends the Tyler Shipman memorial show from time to time. He left PFF but is otherwise active.

bkfly1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2018 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkfly1Click Here to visit bkfly1's HomePageSend a Private Message to bkfly1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased one of infinitewill's GT trunk seals a few years ago. He had since improved the product, but this is an early design with mitered corners. I wasn't happy with how it looked so I never used it. PM me if you're interested. I believe I paid around $75 for it a few years ago.

------------------
86 GT 5-speed, 88 Coupe Auto
Technical Director, NIFE
www.fierofocus.com

bkfly1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2018 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkfly1Click Here to visit bkfly1's HomePageSend a Private Message to bkfly1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bkfly1

136 posts
Member since Oct 2002
I purchased one of infinitewill's GT trunk seals a few years ago. He had since improved the product, but this is an early design with mitered corners. I wasn't happy with how it looked so I never used it. PM me if you're interested. I believe I paid around $75 for it a few years ago.

------------------
86 GT 5-speed, 88 Coupe Auto
Technical Director, NIFE
www.fierofocus.com

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2018 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Precision used to make a part number UWS 135-25 which is discontinued. I used that on my GT with no issues. Here is a cross section piece. The bulb is 3/4" tall:

Their replacement is the UWS 133-25. Same 3/4" tall bulb but round instead of oval and comes in a 25ft roll. More than enough product:
https://www.carparts.com/de...c_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 06-08-2018).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2018 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Their replacement is the UWS 133-25. Same 3/4" tall bulb but round instead of oval and comes in a 25ft roll. More than enough product...

How well does using a roll of "universal" weatherstripping work in the sharp 90° corners of a fastback Fiero's trunk? Did you cut and glue the corners at all, or just bend it tightly?
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2018 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

How well does using a roll of "universal" weatherstripping work in the sharp 90° corners of a fastback Fiero's trunk? Did you cut and glue the corners at all, or just bend it tightly?

It actually bent really well since it has that steel core. I will say that I have to push the hell out of the decklid to close it. Lets just say if you aren't familiar with these cars and try to close the decklid by pushing on the wing, it will be on the ground really quick

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 06-08-2018).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2018 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

It actually bent really well since it has that steel core. I will say that I have to push the hell out of the decklid to close it.

Well, I suppose just bending the weatherstripping would cause it to be much denser on the inside of the 90° corners... and thus rather stiff. That's why I was wondering if it might be preferable to cut/remove some rubber from the inside corners, and then glue/re-seal the cut edges with rubber cement?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-08-2018).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2018 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There used to be a guy on this forum who went by the alias " Infinitwill" who made and sold the trunk weatherstrips but he disappeared and no longer posts. In some of his posts he indicated ill health so who knows if he is even still with us.

Will is definitely still with us, and doing well. He made 3 different versions of the trunk seal, perfecting it with each new version. A few people on the forum rubbed him the wrong way, and he deleted every single post he had ever made over the course of 8 years here on PFF, in every single thread. (More than a 1,000 posts). He is a great guy, and still active on Fiero FaceBook pages.

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Wills trunk seal with the extra pieces in the corners. It works and looks great. I would buy from him anytime. He is a great guy to.
we are loosing to many members on here

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2012 Kia Forte Koup
2017 Kia Forte S

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners
FieroNews Hoodies and T-Shirts

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Will is definitely still with us, and doing well. He made 3 different versions of the trunk seal, perfecting it with each new version. A few people on the forum rubbed him the wrong way, and he deleted every single post he had ever made over the course of 8 years here on PFF, in every single thread. (More than a 1,000 posts). He is a great guy, and still active on Fiero FaceBook pages.

We read that Wills seals were good. If he dropped out just because someone criticized him, shame on him. This sounds like Will is very thinned skinned and childish. Jerks can call me names, they don't have to like me or what I do, they are entitled to give critical opinions... In the end I'll still be here. Why? ...because I really don't give a chyt. I live my life on my terms not on those of someone else.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If he dropped out just because someone criticized him, shame on him. This sounds like Will is very thinned skinned and childish.

That's an assumption, but not what happened.

Some people sit behind a keyboard and treat other people like dirt. You may enjoy this. Some don't. We may use screen names here, but there are real people behind those screen names. Why should anyone be expected to stay here, if they don't enjoy their vists? So many good members have been driven off this forum and out of Fieros by jerks, often with the excuse that other places are worse. The people who leave are often derided as being thin-skinned, when often they just didn't want to stoop to the level if those who were the jerks.

Will chose not to participate, and to erase his existence on this forum, for reasons that were valid to him.

As some good members leave because of the jerks, the percentage of jerks increases, and other good members leave, and this cycle repeats. Some people feel empowered by this.

This will surely get me flamed, but here it is. Knowing what I have witnessed and experienced here, I would not do it over again. I'm here, but barely. Honestly, if I had read through the forum a bit, before I bought my current Fiero, I'd never have gotten into Fieros, either. Not everyone here, by any means, but sorting through the posts by jerks often isn't worth it.

People say, if you don't like the content, don't read the thread. That eliminates most threads. After a while, why bother?

If you get zapped every time you attend a party, would you keep going to that party? If you stop going, does that make you thin-skinned? If someone keeps hitting you, but hitting is against the rules, are you thin-skinned if you walk away, rather than hit back?

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-09-2018).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Will chose not to participate, and to erase his existence on this forum, for reasons that were valid to him.

I know of at least a couple former members of PFF who've gone through the trouble of deleting all their posts... and I've got to admit, that to me seems a bit much. I couldn't stand the circle-jerk that occurs on a daily basis in O/T any longer, so I left. But I'll be damned if I was going to erase my presence from past threads.
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2018 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

If you get zapped every time you attend a party, would you keep going to that party? If you stop going, does that make you thin-skinned? If someone keeps hitting you, but hitting is against the rules, are you thin-skinned if you walk away, rather than hit back?

I think now is the time we put some thought into how much this forum does have. We take it for granted now and again. Imagine if some other members went to the extent to delete their contributions here?

Ogre is probably the single best example of someone who takes abuse with heavy opinions despite the sheer volume of help he has provided, and continues to provide. Nearly every thread with his prescence as it pertains to correct repairs and DOT compliance has backlash that I perceive is taken a bit excessive.

Those of us who frequent the forum can tire of a technicality like that being brought up often, I get it. But in the future, new fiero owners will Google an issue they are having, click a result that leads to such a thread, and likely be less than impressed. Use your imagination.

We are allowed to disagree, but hostility is not a necessary thread component.

That being said, we are all entitled to our opinions and the right to share them here as they pertain. But sometimes we forget to appreciate the hard work that this forum has done for us over and again. We all share at least one common thread, the one that led us here in the first place!

At this time, I would like to thank all of you, past and present members, who have contributed so much knowledge, research, resources, personal experiences, services, and the opportunity to remind ourselves of the Driving Excitement these little cars bestow us.

Cliff, Ogre, fierofool, fierosound, infinitewill, the list really goes on and on. You all know who you are, and I appreciate you guys so much.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2018 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:
Ogre is probably the single best example of someone who takes abuse with heavy opinions despite the sheer volume of help he has provided, and continues to provide. Nearly every thread with his prescence as it pertains to correct repairs and DOT compliance has backlash that I perceive is taken a bit excessive.

You made my point--in 2 ways.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2018 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

That being said, we are all entitled to our opinions and the right to share them here as they pertain. But sometimes we forget to appreciate the hard work that this forum has done for us over and again. We all share at least one common thread, the one that led us here in the first place!

At this time, I would like to thank all of you, past and present members, who have contributed so much knowledge, research, resources, personal experiences, services, and the opportunity to remind ourselves of the Driving Excitement these little cars bestow us.

Cliff, Ogre, fierofool, fierosound, infinitewill, the list really goes on and on. You all know who you are, and I appreciate you guys so much.

Well said and I agree.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2018 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To be on any discussion forum you have to be thick skinned and not worry about what other people say. You are never obligated to agree with anyone's ideas or opinions. There will be people who will dislike you and people who will like you. If someone goes through the trouble of deleting all of their posts here that says something. In the case of Mr Will, I just received a very vile and loathsome PM from him that includes some F words. All he did was to prove his extreme immaturity and child-like attitude.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2018 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In the end I'll still be here. Why? ...because I really don't give a chyt.

Sadly, you've proven that repeatedly.
It seems that you seldom see a "car for sale" thread that you don't deem worthy of pissing all over, even if you have no interest in the car, which is nearly all the time.
Strictly against forum rules, I might add. But I guess you're too good for the rules.
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2018 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock