Corvette Admiral blue Fiero? by TOMZILLA
Started on: 05-28-2018 03:31 PM
Replies: 7 (384 views)
Last post by: TOMZILLA on 06-01-2018 07:10 PM
TOMZILLA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2018 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMZILLASend a Private Message to TOMZILLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on my 88 GT for a month now. I've got the underside repainted and suspension/brakes all done. I'm ready for a full repaint and dismantling the car now. The car is white but I'd much prefer a color. I've had my eye on Corvette's Admiral blue ever since I laid eyes on a "96" Grand Sport back in the day.

I'm looking to see if anyone has a Fiero or pics of one painted as such. I did see a couple pics on the web of a Fiero with lambo doors but it was totally opened up, doors, hood, trunk... It's hard to tell what car looks like sporting Admiral blue.

[This message has been edited by TOMZILLA (edited 05-28-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2018 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you find a paint code for Admiral Blue? I think it should be WA 705U

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/096878.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-28-2018).]

TOMZILLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2018 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMZILLASend a Private Message to TOMZILLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've decided to just go for it. For 2016 GM re-released Admiral Blue on Corvette's but I knew it didn't look the same as 1996. I just found an article from Corvette museum saying the new blue is metallic and the 96 was non-metallic. I really like the look and lighter color of the 96. Here's the article in case anyone is interested it also has the 2 colors "96" and "16" side by side. https://www.corvettemuseum....-corvette-delivered/

Today I've been blocking out and priming my GT. I gotta run to the paint shop for some more supplies so while there I'm gonna lock myself in and get the 96 Admiral mixed up. I'm thinking 2 quarts would do it but may grab 3 for just in case. Painting should be finished up some time next week, hopefully. I post up some pics once I get er done.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2018 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2018 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I HIGHLY ( can not stress this enough) suggest that you do NOT use a photo to determine how the color will look! I did this, and the color is not what I thought it was going to be. Every camera, photographer, lighting situation is different, and thus all of the pictures are going to look different.

The Fiero and the Corvette have a basically similar body style and curves. I suggest going to a dealership in person and looking at the color. If you want variations to choose from, Head to Car Max where there are different manufactures, makes and models. There is a color that Honda makes, that is a spectacular blue, I just do not know the name of it.... yet

The best way to demonstrate this is with a photo. Every one of the Corvettes below are painted Admiral blue. At the same time they all look different.
(In my particular situation, I wanted the color in the below photo, of the vette in the top left. In the daytime, what I got, ooks like the one in the top right )

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 05-30-2018).]

TOMZILLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2018 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMZILLASend a Private Message to TOMZILLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a sample of the blue and did some spray out cards. The color looks great just as I remember it on the Corvette. But all my garage friends a screaming don't paint the car that color go for the shock factor. Along with someday you may want to sell the car and hot colors are always worth more. The three colors I was considering are yellow, blue and orange. They're all saying go orange. So I got a sample of 2015 Dodge Hemi orange and did a spray out card. I must admit it's a really sharp color. Its bright orange with a pearl effect.

Bottom line admiral blue paint has terrible coverage it took 5 coats to cover med grey primer. Hemi orange took just 2-3 coats for coverage. The blue cost $40 more per pint then Hemi orange. The blue paint is gonna take a lot more material and at a higher cost. Orange is going to have a lot more wow effect and cheaper to paint. Admiral blue may be getting saved for another future build. I'll be mulling this over tonight...
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2018 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go with the color you like better. It sounds like you like the blue better, and I have to admit, it looks really sharp on that Corvette. I'd imagine it'd look just as sharp on the Fiero. If you can afford the price difference of the paint (both the per pint and the number of pints cost), then I'd paint it blue and be happy with what you chose. Don't settle for a color because it's a bit less expensive (unless you can't afford it), and ESPECIALLY don't settle on a color because you think the person buying the car down the road might like it better or pay a bit more. You're building your car for you - NOT him!

Build it, drive it, and enjoy it!
TOMZILLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2018 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOMZILLASend a Private Message to TOMZILLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I found the color I really like and its not admiral blue. 2019 Corvette ZR1 Sebring Orange. I got a sample did a spray out and it's amazing. It's a tri-coat paint and my local paint shop said the mid coat was only clear base with just a couple grams of red pigment. I opted for just the basecoat and skipped the mid. Not sure how much the little bit of red would make but I'm good with it. It's nice an orange with tons of pearl effect. It's the one I'm lovin it.

Here's the color in a youtube video. My spray out looks identical as far as I can tell from pc screen to spray out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZr5IKJsbs

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock