Mechanic broke my car! by Dragonfish
Started on: 03-02-2018 02:48 PM
Replies: 74 (2585 views)
Last post by: GODFATHER on 03-20-2018 01:57 PM
Dragonfish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So three days ago I brought my 88 GT in to my local mechanic to have him install my exhaust. The car came with a brand new GM OEM cat back exhaust and the old exhaust wasn't even in the car anymore so all they had to do was hang it and weld it in. That was three days ago. I've called nightly to find out what was the status and I keep being told they got busy, haven't gotten to it yet etc. Finally this morning they call me.

Seems that last night they pulled my car in and got started but closed before they were finished. This morning they finished up and backed my car out. They claim that they put it in first and the car just won't move. They put it in every gear and it just sits there. They tell me they can see the clutch master cylinder moving and the "feel" it going into gear but it just won't move. They offer no apology, nor any offer to figure out what happened. Just come get it as it is. After pleading they guy agrees to tow it home for $20 but that doesn't seem right, since it broke in their possession, the very least they could do was tow it for free. I should mention that I live 1.5 miles away. I have to demand to talk to the owner who I've known passingly for 20 years and once I get him on the phone he agrees to tow it home free. No offer to look at it at all. Oh, and he says I have to pay cash. Feels ultra shady, like they are trying to get away with something. I'm stuck here at work until about 2:30 then I'm heading down there. I'm planning to pay with a credit card just so I have some record of my payment and I'm going to make they write on the receipt that they delivered my car broken.

Any other suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it would be really hard for them to have broken it so thoroughly, unless they took it out and beat on it.
Did you record the mileage when it was dropped off?
Dragonfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, you're the second person who asked me that Now I really wish I had. The guy that worked on the car told me he used to have one and he was really excited to work on it. That plus them trying to get me to pay cash makes me wonder if he joyrided it and broke it. I didn't mention that the trans and clutch were perfect prior to me bringing it in. No slipping and shifted clean. How the hell would it have broken on the rack?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never seen a Getrag blown so thoroughly that the car wouldn't move, without anything showing, outwardly.
I shattered the differential on mine, and was still able to drive it home.
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, try to get them to make it right, it seems you've already done it. Document everthing and take it to a trans shop to get it checked out. If you drove it in and it is a major internal problem, not just a broken cable or some other "consumable", I'd try to reason with them again. They know you drove it in and it didn't drive out, it would be hard for them to argue they weren't at fault.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We need more information. How long have you owned this car? Have they worked on your Fiero before?
There are fewer and fewer mechanics that know how to fix a Fiero....In a normal repair relationship, they should keep the car and at least give you a quote on what is wrong and how much to fix it. It sounds like they don't want to touch it....(which is not unusual).

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-02-2018).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's possible they want you to pay with cash because there's no way for you to contest it and get it back. I think I would call the police in to make a report on it, then pursue action through Magistrate's Court.

Dragonfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had the car for about 6 months now? I haven't been driving it much because it needed a few small things first, new EGR tube, Rodney's select cable and exhaust. I drove it 2 hours home and have taken it for several short drives but it has shown nothing to make me think it's going. It will occasionally grind a tad in third but the clutch grabs solid and it shifts really clean. I just got home, I paid with a credit card when nobody was paying attention They are towing it home now. I did get to jump in it and the clutch pressure feels normal but that's as far as I got.
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had similar issue with another shop. You are left with 2 options, find a new shop or persue action. I'd get a Transmissions shop opinion if its a fail part, i'd move on. If its something from abuse I'd go after them.
Dragonfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, it's home and I got to check it out. I'm totally baffled. I think the clutch might be shot? So with the car running, I can shift through the gears without pressing the clutch down. The clutch pedal feels pretty normal, maybe a tad softer than usual. I can see the clutch cable moving at the master cylinder. Trans feels great, still shifts nice.

On a side note, the shop straight piped my catalytic converter. I did not ask them to. It's just as loud as it was with no exhaust.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many miles are on the car? When was the clutch last replaced?

30 year old cars break, sometimes unexpectedly, without warning, and w/o abuse... so I would hold off accusing the shop of something until you figure out what is wrong.

If the shop truly didn't do anything to make it fail, you just lost a shop that is willing to work on your car.

The cash deal could be to avoid giving uncle sam 30% of it, it could also be about the straight-pipe mod and have nothing to do with the transmission issue.

Some possible causes:
Pressure plate is bound up in the released position
Center hub of clutch disk broke free or splines completely stripped off
flywheel bolts sheared off
crankshaft snapped at rear of crankshaft
Shift forks broke with transmission in neutral
etc...

Time to pull the transmission and figure out what is going on.

PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple of technical points:

The master cylinder is in the front compartment. There are no cables related to the transmission that go anywhere near it. You might be referring to the slave cylinder?

There are no clutch cables in a Fiero. The system is fluid operated hydraulics.

Movement of the cables can only be seen when the shift surround is removed and you're peering down into the shift mechanism, or when viewing the cables where they attach to the shift levers on the transmission.

Now, with the engine turned off, have someone operate the clutch pedal while you observe the slave cylinder and it's pushrod to be sure the pushrod is moving.

Next, have them shift through the gears to be sure both your cables are operating the levers on the transmission. If they are operating, then you have a clutch or transmission problem.

If you didn't tell them to remove the catalytic converter, tell them to replace it or you'll report them to the authorities. Even though you might know these people, they don't seem to care about you, so I wouldn't play nice with them.
Domtech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if this info helps or not, but when the factory clutch went out on my 88 gt it was instantaneous and with zero warning.
One second it was holding great, and the next it couldn't even make the car roll forwards. And that was with only 28,000 miles.

Maybe they were hooning your car, maybe they weren't. Without mileage recordings or dash-cam footage I don't think there is a lot you can do.
Dragonfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At the recommendation of somebody else, I just went outside and manually put the car in second gear at the transmission. When I move the linkage it feels like it's going solidly into gear. I then was able to push the car like it's in neutral. This was with the car not running and the clutch not depressed.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a remote possibility that you have a broken axle stub, where it plugs into the differential. If that's the case, everything inside the trans will turn - including the differential - but the axles won't.
If that's the case, you should be able to *gently* pry against the tulips (tripots) and the broken one will fall right out.
Getting the broken stub out will be a lot of "fun". You'll have to remove the good axle, and the drive the stub out from the far side.
Before you do any prying on the axles, make sure you have a pan under the differential housing. If / when the axle comes out, several pints of fluid will drain out, as well.

Or it still could be a broken clutch, as others have said. That still seems like the more likely scenario.

Edit - remove the bolts from the tin shield at the bottom of the clutch housing. pull it back out of the way. If the clutch is blown, there should be some pieces of clutch (hub or lining) in the bottom of the housing.
Also... (thinking) if the axle is broken, you should see the speedometer register, with the engine running and the car in gear.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-03-2018).]

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you check the clutch fluid ? Might be low, that could cause the same problem.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No clutch fluid would allow the clutch to stay fully engaged all the time and he wouldn't be able to move it when it's in gear as he described. Starting it while in gear would make the car move.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
No clutch fluid would allow the clutch to stay fully engaged all the time and he wouldn't be able to move it when it's in gear as he described. Starting it while in gear would make the car move.

Oh yeah, your right.

Sounds like what Domtech posted, "when the factory clutch went out on my 88 gt it was instantaneous and with zero warning"

Best of luck.
Dragonfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, replace the clutch, or go whole hog and do a 3.4 swap?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suggest you start with the necessities. You're going to have to pull the transmission, one way or another. If it's the clutch assembly, then the money you've saved on a transmission could be put toward a 3.4 swap. If it's a transmission problem, and your engine is in good condition, stay with the 2.8. Even having said that, it all depends upon your budget and time.
Dragonfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a quick video, I'm afraid my trans is trash.

https://youtu.be/v0dEAqs0Bfs
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar may have hit it. I think if it were the clutch plate there would be a lot of noise. Drain and save the trans fluid and see if there's metal in it. If not, you can put it back in the trans. But again, it seems that dropping the cradle is a given.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dragonfish:

Here's a quick video, I'm afraid my trans is trash.

https://youtu.be/v0dEAqs0Bfs

If the speedo is registering, the differential is turning. I'm still betting on an axle broken, somewhere.
With the engine running, and the car in gear, have someone look at the tripots, nearest the transmission. If one of them is turning, but the axle (or outer joint) isn't, you've found your broken axle.
If neither of them is turning, the stub could still be broken on the inside of the trans. I'll refer you to my post above.

If it's just a broken axle, it can likely be replaced without dropping the cradle.

Good luck.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be hard to imagine that problem occurring with the car just being backed out of the shop....
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

If the speedo is registering, the differential is turning. I'm still betting on an axle broken, somewhere.

Agreed. I had the same thing happen when I snapped a CV joint. Tach and speedo would climb, but the car went nowhere.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

It would be hard to imagine that problem occurring with the car just being backed out of the shop....

I agree. But the problem is proving it. It's pretty obvious that the shop isn't going to "butch up" and admit to anything.
At least, if it's just an axle, it can be repaired in a few hours, instead of dropping the whole cradle.

Dragonfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I think I'm screwed. This morning I jacked the back end up and started the car and put it in first gear. Neither wheel moved, even giving it some gas. If I spin the wheels manually i hear a loud clunk clunk clunk sound about every rotation or so.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that what Raydar said is something you should check; With the trans in gear, and clutch out, engine running, you should check your speedo....If it is not moving, it's the clutch/upper transmission, if the speedo needle is moving up, then it may be your half shafts or differential.

If it's a half shaft, that is a much easier fix than trany or clutch....Check this out before doing anything else!

I had a somewhat similar situation; Took my car to be smog checked for re-registration, then drove to the store maybe one mile....Clutch started making horrid noises and smoking...Got it home and the TOB was absolutely toasted! Maybe 500-1000 miles on new clutch! (And I was extremely careful to lube everything up with proper grease!) Ram Clutch covered it so I just spent a bunch of fun time re-tearing the backend apart.

I did not go after the shop....Owner is my friend and a straight shooter, but he had hired a helper who tested my car that day...lesson learned; I only let the owner test my car now.
Dragonfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the video I posted above, the speedo is definitely moving. Seems like my diff is trashed.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you try prying the axles out? If one of the stubs is broken off in the diff, it would allow the diff to turn (inside the trans) without either axle turning.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-04-2018).]

Dragonfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, do you think there's still hope? I'll try it this week and post my results.
PFF
System Bot
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would never drop off my car at a place that cant get it done while I sit in their shop.

I have a guy that owns a shop, he gives me a discount if I pay cash, saves him on credit card fees.

without any hard proof, it will be hard to put the blame on the shop.

Maybe it just decides to break there in the shop, who knows.
Dragonfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2018 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Talked to the shop today, they'll install any cat I want free of charge. Still maintain they had absolutely no responsibility in the damage, refuses to even put it on a lift and look at it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2018 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...refuses to even put it on a lift and look at it.

Time for a new shop.
gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the axle diagnosis. And the chances of that happening without abuse slim to none. I would not take it back there. You can get that stub out and replace the axle.

Did you get a receipt? Seems like the shop would have some explaining to do removing a cat and installing a test pipe...

make sure they didn't crush your coolant tubes too.
Dragonfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did get a receipt, and the cat removal is nowhere on it. They already agreed to put any cat I want on for free but I really don't want to go back there. I'm temped to just do a charge-back on my credit card.

I haven't gotten time to look at the axle yet, hopefully this weekend.
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

.... I'm temped to just do a charge-back on my credit card.

That shouldn't even be in question, should it? Best case scenario, they were not responsible but are refusing to practice good customer service and confirm it. Worst case, they abused your car.

I would not give them one cent.

Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Removing the cat was a federal offense for any shop. That's why they want cash. Tell them you have the EPA on the phone.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gary W:

Removing the cat was a federal offense for any shop. That's why they want cash. Tell them you have the EPA on the phone.

repeated for emphasis. These guys are crooks. It's very likely that they broke your axle in the parking lot dumping the clutch..
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2018 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

repeated for emphasis. These guys are crooks. It's very likely that they broke your axle in the parking lot dumping the clutch...

Yep, I suspect that's pretty much what we're all thinking.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock