Tight lug nut by 85fieroguy
Started on: 02-23-2018 06:23 PM
Replies: 14 (456 views)
Last post by: jmbishop on 02-27-2018 06:21 AM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2018 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man oh man have a front left flat. Cannot get one lug nut off of alum mags. Any ideas before I strip the hex top shape of nut?? HELP !!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2018 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

Cannot get one lug nut off of alum mags. Any ideas before I strip the hex top shape of nut??

A few suggestions.

If the lug nut is open end, spray penetrating oil onto the end of the wheel stud.

It may or may not make much of a difference, but don't loosen all the rest of the lug nuts before getting this tight one loose. (Tighten them back up if you've loosened them.)

And this should be obvious, but don't be using some crappy ill-fitting tire iron trying to loosen the lug nuts. Use a deep socket (correct size, of course), preferably 1/2" drive with a long breaker bar.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-23-2018).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2018 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After the lubrication as suggested, tap on the nut itself with a hammer and punch to break free any oxidation. It can work, or it cannot.

Good luck.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2018 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if you gotten that lug nut off yet but..............

I have driven (with a hammer) a deep well socket onto a lug nut to get it off before.

I have also used nut breakers, available at most auto parts stores.

Have used "Freeze Off" (I think that was the name), a product that you spray onto the lug bringing it to a very cold temp and causing it to contract and breaking the lock corrosion has on it.

I've also welded another nut onto the old nut and then twisted the heck out of a breaker bar to get one off. You may not want to do this with aluminum wheels.

There are probably several more methods.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-23-2018).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2018 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This may sound odd buy give it a try. I worked in an auto shop and was taught this.

Try tightening it up a little before trying to loosen it.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2018 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to apply heat (think propane torch) to get a nut loose.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2018 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
to further what tshark said, heat it with a torch for a bit, then spray it with water immediately after taking the torch away until it stops steaming, the dramatic temperature change can often time break free any rust
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2018 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mentioned earlier but you can't beat a deep snug fitting socket and a long breaker bar, backed up with a 3 foot section of steel pipe just in case. The satisfaction of hearing that "SNAP" is exillerating. Even if you break the stud in the process you'll still have a grin on your face days later.

On the other hand make sure your turning in the correct direction. You never know if a previous owner slipped in 1 left-hand threaded stud just for kicks or a clever deterrent to prevent wheel theft.

ps: GM and others use to have RH studs on one side of the car and LH on the other.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2018 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

On the other hand make sure your turning in the correct direction. You never know if a previous owner slipped in 1 left-hand threaded stud just for kicks or a clever deterrent to prevent wheel theft.

Damn, that would be sneaky!

GM and others use to have RH studs on one side of the car and LH on the other.

GM? I dunno about that. None of the many Chevs I ever owned had reverse-threaded wheel studs. Going way back, I don't think my parents' 1955 Chev even had 'em. I believe Chrysler did though.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-25-2018).]

Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2018 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully you've been able to remove it by now. If not, and you have tried everything that folks have suggested, it may be time to use an impact gun. Even an el cheapo electric impact gun from Harbor Freight should do the trick. Also, if it is on there that tight, then there is a very strong possibility that it is cross threaded and you'll end up replacing the stud and the nut.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2018 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

GM? I dunno about that. None of the many Chevs I ever owned had reverse-threaded wheel studs. Going way back, I don't think my parents' 1955 Chev even had 'em. I believe Chrysler did though.

My 60 Pontiac has LH studs. Many others too.

https://www.jalopyjournal.c...-wheel-studs.417894/

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2018 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My 60 Pontiac has LH studs. Many others too.

CHRYSLER'S LH THREAD WHEEL STUDS

No Chevys... ever, and ancient Pontiacs don't count.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-26-2018).]

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2018 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've run into this problem so many times ( due to overzealous "auto techs" that crank every lug nut to 150 Ft/Lbs) that I took a spare 1/2" socket wrench and jammed it into a 4 foot piece of steel pipe. A giant breaker bar, if you will.

Now ALL the lugs come off.

A couple of times the stud came off with the lug nut but if you do the oil spray thing, then loosen just a bit, re-tighten, loosen, re-tighten a few times it usually comes off OK.

[This message has been edited by RayOtton (edited 02-26-2018).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2018 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to mention ... put a long handled four way lug nut wrench on it and a car jack stand on the outside of the lug wrench to keep it level. Then stand on the end of the right side of the lug wrench and jump up and down on it.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2018 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

This may sound odd buy give it a try. I worked in an auto shop and was taught this.

Try tightening it up a little before trying to loosen it.

A few times my wife has handed me a soda bottle she couldn't open, me thinking I was being funny crank it down even tighter but when I give it back, she's able to open it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock