Sail panel interchange by gocart
Started on: 02-09-2018 10:45 PM
Replies: 10 (281 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 02-12-2018 03:36 PM
gocart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2018 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gocartSend a Private Message to gocartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you put the 1984 glass sail panels on a 1986?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, if you are putting the entire sail panel. Its easy to do if you have the mounting hardware. The early panels have 2 small metal bolt ends that slide into a metal retaining clip. The newer ones used a plastic rivet type nub. Then there is one larger bolt end that has a nut screw on it through the B pillar. The newer ones have a metal clip that slips onto the panel and that bolts through the B pillar. The bolt ends are all attached to the sail panel, but they can break. If the sail panels you want to put on have all the bolt ends and you have the retaining clips and nuts, then putting it on is easier than putting the later type on. Just slip the retaining clips onto the plastic body panel over the mounting holes. Push the panel on and then put the bolt on through the B pillar. The hardest part will be removing the inside B pillar panel. But you will have to do that anyway to remove the other sail panels. I wish I had some pictures to help explain better.

[This message has been edited by liv4God (edited 02-10-2018).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did this on one of my cars, but when I removed the windows at the yard, I didn't realize that the windows had the different mounts as liv4god described. I did, however remember what they kind of looked like.
At the time, I was working in a machine shop and had access to a good variety of nuts, bolts, clips, and whatnot. I used some U nuts. This may not be the correct one, but it's just for illustration to show you what it might look like, if you need substitutes. These are designed to accept a threaded screw, but they are also available for push-in pin type. This site or AuVeCo.Com are good sources of various automotive fasteners, as well as Fastenal, who carries many of these manufacturer's products.

http://www.clipsandfastener...ew_Size_p/a10064.htm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2018 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:

Yes, if you are putting the entire sail panel. Its easy to do if you have the mounting hardware. The early panels have 2 small metal bolt ends that slide into a metal retaining clip. The newer ones used a plastic rivet type nub. Then there is one larger bolt end that has a nut screw on it through the B pillar. The newer ones have a metal clip that slips onto the panel and that bolts through the B pillar. The bolt ends are all attached to the sail panel, but they can break. If the sail panels you want to put on have all the bolt ends and you have the retaining clips and nuts, then putting it on is easier than putting the later type on. Just slip the retaining clips onto the plastic body panel over the mounting holes. Push the panel on and then put the bolt on through the B pillar. The hardest part will be removing the inside B pillar panel. But you will have to do that anyway to remove the other sail panels. I wish I had some pictures to help explain better.

"Newer ones", being 87 and 88? Just 88?
I cant remember.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2018 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

"Newer ones", being 87 and 88? Just 88?
I cant remember.

84-85 are the glass panels and 86-88 are the plastic. I probably should have said later instead of newer.

After using both I've noted a few pros and cons to both styles in case someone is debating which style to go with while replacing:
Glass- Pros: better quality, lasts longer, stays shiny, doesn't dull or crack (unless impacted)
Cons: Considerably heavier, Glass panel is smaller (Due to the rubber surround holding the glass) and does give a slightly more aged look

Plastic- Pros: Light, readily available and cheap to replace the plastic panel (although with the recent announcement of Fiero Sales end this may not be so in the future :'\ )
Cons: Less durability, fades in sun, becomes brittle and cracks, can look cheap if not in good condition

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2018 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe only the 84 were glass and used the metal post and clip. Both my 85GT's were plastic and used a plastic expander pin as an attachment.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2018 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:

84-85 are the glass panels and 86-88 are the plastic. I probably should have said later instead of newer.

Thanks

I previously thought only 84s were glass, but what I meant in my question to what I quoted was regarding only the way they attach.

Fierofool cleared it up I think.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 02-12-2018).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2018 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2.5, I am in error. I went back into my hard copy files and looked at my first 85 after it was in an accident that removed the passenger side quarter window. The metal clip like used on the 84 was present. A larger hole would need be drilled in the flange to mount the later versions.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2018 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.

So as far as attachment 84-85 are the same and 86-88 are the same?
Are 84's still the only glass ones?

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2018 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Waaaay back in that time I was working for the vendor who made the glass panels. It was a running change in 1985, most cars getting plastic, but the glass ones were more expensive, so they used up the supply.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock