WWYD.......What Would You Do? by Nextel dude
Started on: 01-18-2018 12:15 PM
Replies: 26 (982 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 01-26-2018 08:56 AM
Nextel dude

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WWYD.............What Would You Do if you had worn out and uncomfortable seats?

Recover the seats with Mr Mikes or replace with seats from another vehicle?

I did some searching of the archives and found that most people like their Fiero seats. A few others
have replaced with seats from other vehicles, Cavalier, 300ZX & Corvette. Some where
easy installs others a little more effort involved.

Comfort over looks at this point but not by much. The corvette seats look great in the car but look like they could be
difficult getting in and out of the car. Cavalier seats are a no go for me as they don't add anything to the look of the car
The Cavalier seats are an easy install, the others not so much but still not out of the question.

I am not so concerned with keeping it stock but would like to be comfortable and have the interior match the exotic/sporty look of the exterior.
Thanks

Chuck

------------------
1988 Notchback

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mr Mikes...

Bob

------------------

My Build

f85gtron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87gt with cavalier seats and they are comfortable. I haven't used it for long distance, so I don't know how they'd do. The 87 is a yard queen. They are really comfortable for the five minutes I sit in them and make motor sounds and pretend to drive.
My 85gt on the other hand, has Mr. Mike's seats and when you buy his kit, he sends padding and cotton to add to the bolster padding. With the new foam, my seats are ultra comfy. I've driven that one from ga to Memphis several times, to northern Alabama and lots of places. I would buy from Mr Mike again in a heartbeat. It's more comfy than my wife's Subaru outback and many other cars.
Ron

[This message has been edited by f85gtron (edited 01-18-2018).]

JMTUT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 notchy and had to replace the fiero seats with sunbird seats. They aren't as stylish as the Fiero Seats but mine were showing bare metal and hurt to sit on.
$50.00 dollars total at Junkyard in good shape.

I saw some Mini cooper leather seats that would look great but will need mods to fit. Lumbar support, Up/down adjustment all mechanical.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nextel dude:

...or replace with seats from another vehicle?

That's often not a viable option for tall people as most other seats sit higher than factory Fiero seats... and result in no head room.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still have-and really like- my original seats......One thing I did (Maybe 20 years ago) was to fold up a hand towel and slide it up in the back to give a bit more lower lumbar support....I also replaced the speakers with Clearwater speakers (They used to have a kit specifically for the Fiero, but they still fit/work).....

In all of the reviews/road tests, the one thing NOONE ever complained about were the seats- Even Car & Drivel, who was famous for their anti-American(And specifically their Anti-Fiero) slant.....
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The mini cooper seats I looked at will lower to the same height as Sunbird seats. The width/length back height were all within one inch. I just didn't have the time to mod the rails for the studs in fiero.
Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mr. Mikes x2.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'14 Yamaha FJR - 0-60 in 2.8s w/ 34MPG!!!

Nextel dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's looking it is Mr Mikes by a land slide......thanks everyone
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I installed my MrMike's seats, I used a hint from MrMike, he suggested swapping the seat bottoms , Driver side to Passenger side. This gives you unused bolsters on both door sides.

I swapped the tracks, and the seat bolts and clip for the torx 50 bolt. Both seat bottoms are the same, when finished, the fit feeling is like brand new.

Great hint MrMike, Thanks.

Here's a link showing the install process. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-1-063469.html

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 01-18-2018).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I did when my '84 SE seats were worn thin: I found a filthy but otherwise undamaged pair at a local wreckers for $30 each.
A local detailer cleaned them up & I installed them along with an excellent $70 dash from the same car.
A cheap refresh on its 30th birthday!

PFF
System Bot
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another vote for Mr Mikes. Fiero seats in good condition are comfy and look great. When worn, they can be neither. Mr. Mikes kit will restore both the look and comfort or rather exceed the look and comfort of original Fiero seats. The extra padding he provides makes the seats more comfortable than before, and since you do the install yourself you are welcome to add even more if desired. His materials and designs are top rate and gives you custom options to match and enhance your car. His work is well worth the money given the looks, comfort and durability. After using his in my Formula I'm saving up for a set for one of my other Fieros.

Night and day difference! (Ok a few other changes were made too)
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of people swap Fiero seats into other cars. I find them to be quite comfortable.
At one time I washed that they sat a little higher, but not so much, any more.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Solstice and 4th Gen Trans Am too. TA seats are hard to find b/c its been a while since they were made, and junkyard seats are usually trashed. But a few vendors on Ebay have good sets. Solstice seats are easy to find, I just got a set out of an 2006, but drivers seat had the typical wear, similar to what the Fiero seats get over time. Reskinning the solstice seats will cost about the same as Mr. Mikes.

Rob

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Solstice and 4th Gen Trans Am too.
Rob

I have 3rd gen Trans Am seats in one of mine. (not 4th) I like them.
I'm a big fan of the stock Fiero seat, but this car had these in it when I go tit, and I liked them enough to leave them in.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-19-2018).]

Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mr Mikes here too. The quality can't be beat and with his video the install goes great. We went on a weekend cruise with our local Fiero group and they are very comfortable.

I met a Pantera owner last year at the Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revival, he had replaced the seats with a pair of Fiero seats with Mr Mikes covers.
He likes the Fiero seats much better than the original Pantera seats and they look great in his car.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

A lot of people swap Fiero seats into other cars.

Yes, particularly hot-rodders with 30s/40s-era cars. They fit well in choptops. I've seen a lot at shows.
tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the looks of Mr Mikes leather seat covers, but when I can pick up some C6 leather seats for $400 locally. It is hard to justify the extra cost and effort of recovering the Fiero seats.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nextel dude: WWYD.............What Would You Do if you had worn out and uncomfortable seats?

If I were in your situation, I would have the Fiero seats reupholstered. Don't just replace the covers; have some of that old nasty foam replaced too. It'll feel like a new seat.

That said, you did ask what *I* would do. So here's what I did:

But my criteria are different from yours.
420ponies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2018 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 420poniesSend a Private Message to 420poniesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Tiburon seats. '04 I think . Nice seats, good side bolsters and very comfortable.
Nextel dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2018 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to my fellow Fiero owners for all the good ideas and opinions expressed. I am leaning toward reupholstering & recovering my seats although if a cheap pair of vette seats fell in my lap well all bets are off. lol

Now my next question is vinyl or leather? Decisions.........Plenty of time as I am going to order the covers right after I receive my tax return.

Thanks everyone,

CHuck

[This message has been edited by Nextel dude (edited 01-20-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2018 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went with vinyl. Not only did it cost less, but also Mr Mike recommended it since I wad doing the red. He said a lot of the colored leather is painted that color and will wear off quickly. So depending on the colors and styles you use one may be preferred over the other.
Wraith177

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2018 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wraith177Send a Private Message to Wraith177Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you would like to try something different... I recommend procar. The classic look seats they have are similar to muscle car and retro seats, if that’s your thing. Don’t get me wrong, I’m considering mr mikes, but I’m looking at the procar sportsman because I like a good sport seat, but good comfort as well.

------------------
This signature adds .5 bhp.
When in doubt, gun it.
84 2m4 —in progress to— 84 2m6sc

tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2018 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While doing the seats you might want to consider adding a heated seat kit while you are at it.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2018 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have leather C4 seats installed in one of my Meras and they are good seats. They fit well into a Fiero and allow sufficient headroom for a person 6'3" to comfortably drive the vehicle.

Nelson
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2018 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
liv4god,

Did you install those cupholders in front of the shifter yourself. That seems to be much more practical than the add on pad I see in the forums.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2018 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 420ponies:

I have Tiburon seats. '04 I think . Nice seats, good side bolsters and very comfortable.

Pics?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock