Started on: 01-12-2018 11:58 AM
Replies: 11 (374 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 01-14-2018 06:06 PM
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking of other possible sources for transmissions for the Fiero, especially the manual transmissions. I remember that I once worked with a lady that had a Cadillac Cimmaron with a V6 and a manual transmission.

I don't know if it was a 4-speed transmission or a 5-speed, nor what year it was. I think the Cimmarons were made along the same period of time as the Fiero and maybe on into the early 90's. I seem to recall that some model years or trim lines had pop-up headlight doors, too.

Has anyone ever looked into these as possible sources?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Cimarron was just a (tacky) re-badged Caviler/Sunbird. Exact same platform, just a lot more stick on chrome pieces.

Wikipedia link

[This message has been edited by trivet (edited 01-12-2018).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking that it was on the Cavalier platform. That's why I thought that it might be the same driveline shared by the Beretta and Corsica, which we all know uses the same bellhousing pattern.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12810 posts
Member since Jan 2002
I just found a GM spec that says the 85 V6 had an MX6 4-speed. Is this the same as tne 85 and 86 Fiero 4-speed? The Cimarron also used the THM125C, so the bellhousing is the same.

Edit:

With some input from Raydar, I did some more searching and found this:

Cimarron transmission MX6 : TRANSMISSION, MAN 4 SPD, MUNCIE, 76MM, 3.31 1

Fiero transmission M17 : TRANSMISSION, MAN 4 SPD, MUNCIE, 76MM, 3.31 1

So, they are the same.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 01-12-2018).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only difference between the transmissions would be the shift levers on the outside I believe......I think someone was selling a conversion kit to install a FWD trans in a Fiero....
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I just found a GM spec that says the 85 V6 had an MX6 4-speed. Is this the same as tne 85 and 86 Fiero 4-speed? The Cimarron also used the THM125C, so the bellhousing is the same.
Fiero transmission M17 : TRANSMISSION, MAN 4 SPD, MUNCIE, 76MM, 3.31 1

The M17 was a 3.65 FDR.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Then that rpo listing was incorrect and they must have been putting the Econo 4-speed in the Cimarron. If that's true, then the Econo 4-speed was available from 85, all the way up until 88 when they stopped production.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Econo 4 speed was in 1984 only and had a FDR of 3.32. It was called the MY8. The Cadillac transmission must be slightly different if it is called a MX6. Perhaps the difference is in the front wheel drive linkage. Not many Cimmerons got a manual transmission! It was a sad car, built when GM had no idea why German cars were selling well.

84, 85, & 86 Pontiac 6000 used the MX6 also.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-13-2018).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would expect that being for FWD, it had the cast mounting brackets for the cables like the 84 Fiero trans had. You're probably right that there weren't many with manuals but they were available all the way up until June of 88 when they ceased production of the Cimarron. I did see that the trans was also used in the J6000 and also in an Oldsmobile. I think it was the Cutlas Euro or something like that.

A GM RPO reference chart:
http://www.rpocodes.com/GM-...ocodesGthroughM.html
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

A GM RPO reference chart:

I see a few errors on that chart...so use the info carefully.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

The only difference between the transmissions would be the shift levers on the outside I believe......
I think someone was selling a conversion kit to install a FWD trans in a Fiero....

Correct. See here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000038.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been trying to find images of a Cimmaron manual transmission. The only thing I found that I could really make out was a 5-speed. Essentially, it looked the same as our transmissions, but the gear levers were a little different, and it looked like the clutch release arm was down on the side so that it was actually attached to the clutch fork arm. I also did a search for Cimmaron slave cylinders, and the one I found was more on the style of the Getrag, having no mounting studs. It had what appeared to be about a 2 inch pushrod that just barely cleared the dust boot.

I found this on Nemiga.com. It's listed as a 5-speed Isuzu.

https://nemiga.com/cat_spar...c/62j-j/04/mj04-017/

And this listed as the M19 r-speed.

https://nemiga.com/cat_spar...c/62j-j/04/gm04-080/

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock