Mystery GT vent hinge? by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 10-28-2017 09:50 PM
Replies: 5 (335 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 10-29-2017 11:48 AM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2017 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just cleaning a set of GT style engine vents when I discovered a hinge with no apparent purpose. I thought it might be a hinge to open the leaf guard to clean out all those annoying leaves that seem to get trapped in there constantly but the piece seems to be riveted in place. (Why isn't there one! LOL )

I've attached a picture of a vent from my 88 GT without the hinge and a few pictures of the hinge on the other set. .

This is nothing more than idle curiosity, but I wonder if anyone knows the purpose or origin of the hinge.

By the way, the hinge is non-functioning. It doesn't even move... So what's the point?

From my 88 GT vent. No hinge.

Hinge from an unknown GT vent

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2017 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never seen a hinge like that. Either GM was thinking of adding that and never finished their idea. Or it's someone's modification that was not well thought out. Either way it's new to me.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2017 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It certainly looks factory so can see why your asking.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2017 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I converted my 85 SE V6 to a 86-88 GT backend style...In the process, I picked up 2 sets of GT decklid grates....One has the rigid 90* tab for the rubber bumper and one has the hinge style...I did not pay attention to which years they might be....

Possibly, during production, it was easier to store the batches of vents inside a crate with hinged tabs....Or possibly they thought it would be easier to remove from the car with the hinge and they later decided that it wasn't necessary.....I dunno....
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2017 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even if the hinge moved, you can't remove the vent from the car without opening the deck lid. The rear flange has the hold down screws and also that flange is underneath the edge of the lid.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2017 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never seen that.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock