Started on: 09-02-2017 07:48 PM
Replies: 6 (494 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 09-04-2017 12:39 PM
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2017 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know there are other threads about Electronic Power Steering, but I could not find anything about this specific EPS rack. Its off a 2013 Buick Lacrosse and I grabbed it up this weekend from my local Pick n Pull. I was able to get the wire harness from the power supply to the rack but the harness that was attached to the engine was cut. I'm sure that was all the wires that went to the BCM/ECM to control it. Has anyone looked into this rack. I like that the EPS unit is attached to the rack vs. attached to the steering column. No issues w/ installing it under the dash.

When i put the rack on top of my pulled 88 front you can see the the rack is w/in 1 inch of being the same size. End to end its an exact fit. Two issues are the rack boss's are way different and will require cutting off the stock rack mounts, and the other is the angle of the steering rack to steering column, it looks way off. I could create the mounts w/ a 45 deg angle that would help the steep angle, but its also off left/right too.

if anyone has any idea about the electrical, i'd appreciate any help.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB #95, LS376, F40 and a GT clip
88 GT "Daily Driver" w/ SIII 3800 NA

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2017 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://drive.google.com/fi...qlX/view?usp=sharing

Hopefully this helps some

-Mitch

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 09-03-2017).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2017 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is the Lacrosse a front steer (rack in front of the axle) or rear steer (behind the axle)?
Based upon the pics, it looks like the steering rack is going to move in the wrong direction.
I hope I'm wrong. It would be nice to see other options for PS in our cars.

I'm presently retrofitting a Trans Am rack to one of my cars. It has all the same issues that yours does. I'll have to remove the stock mounts, and fabricate a plate at 45 degrees for the rack to bolt to.

Edit - Everything I've found seems to indicate that the Lacrosse rack (same as the Impala) is mounted behind the cross member.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-03-2017).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2017 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I think it was. I assume that the steering column turns left, but the motor gets the input and pushes the rack to the right. Because its behind the cross member by pushing right its moving the spindle counter-clock wise, which is turning left. if i put it in front of the cross member if i turn left the rack will push the front of the Fiero spindle clockwise, turning right. Is this correct? Can't i just reverse something so that left is left, right is right?

Rob
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2017 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Yes, I think it was. I assume that the steering column turns left, but the motor gets the input and pushes the rack to the right. Because its behind the cross member by pushing right its moving the spindle counter-clock wise, which is turning left. if i put it in front of the cross member if i turn left the rack will push the front of the Fiero spindle clockwise, turning right. Is this correct? Can't i just reverse something so that left is left, right is right?

Rob

It's not that easy.
The only way it will work, is if you switch to right hand drive, and flip the rack over. The motor just provides the assist. It still depends upon the gears.
For any rack you choose, the pinion shaft (aka steering shaft) must be below the sliding rack part, in order for it to work correctly.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-03-2017).]

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2017 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
For any rack you choose, the pinion shaft (aka steering shaft) must be below the sliding rack part, in order for it to work correctly.

This, or get used to turning clockwise to go left, counterclockwise to go right!

You don't need perfect alignment between the steering column and the rack's input shaft. The U-joints will accommodate angle errors. Visually, it looks like there would be about a 20° angle on the lower U-joint; kind of a lot, but I would try it like that.
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2017 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought about this some more... the pinion being over/under the rack depends on whether the tie-rods are ahead or behind the ball joints.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock