Finally some SD4 progress. by Lilchief
Started on: 08-19-2017 01:51 AM
Replies: 47 (1911 views)
Last post by: La fiera on 03-11-2024 07:46 PM
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2017 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got some work done on my sd4 3.3 . Had to get some epoxy removed and aluminum welded in. New valves, guides, springs ( 140 lb seat pressure, good for .700 lift ), 1.7 rockers, radius valve job, pressure tested and all surfaces straightened. Come January I'll start on the block, new rods and pistons ( 8.25 cr ).

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
8.25 cr?? Why so low? Will you be adding a turbo? I have 10to1 in my SD4 and I wish I had gone higher. If I were getting new pistons I'd go to at least 10.75.

Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, turboing it. GT3076R , .82 A/R. Boost to 20 lbs. Target HP 450 @ 7200+.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's so nice to see another SD4 build underway...

I just installed the multi-port injection I built using an Edelbrock 2-bbl intake.
Still tuning the fuel table – but the engine has never been happier.
(I have 11:1 CR - works out to about 10.5 at my elevation of 3500 feet)

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-22-2017).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierosound looks too pretty to drive.

My SD is out of the car right now due to timing gear failure. Taking the opportunity to Jetcoat my header and reinsulate the firewall.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New SD4 build? I'll grab the popcorn...
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2019 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Made some more progress. Took 4 months to get a cam made. I've had it now for 3 months. Specs are 238/243 dur @ .050, .650/.650 lift and 114 lca. My pistons and rods came in last week. Callie's 6" rods and Ross pistons yeilding 9.0 cr. Had to sink the Piston some just to get it that low. You can see the wrist pin is in the oil ring land. Had to have the head studs custom made. Arp doesn't make them any more. So far the cam was the most expensive with the head studs in second place. I've got some Piston and rod pics if someone wants to post them for me.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2019 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 437 Casting, you're going old school! Looks very clean!
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2019 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lilchief:
Had to have the head studs custom made. Arp doesn't make them any more.

These won't work ???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GE...Priority!19343!US!-1
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2019 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm. Too late now.
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2019 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody want to post some pictures for me. I can text them to you.
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anybody want to post some pictures for me. I can text them to you.

I can likely help out.

Nelson
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nelson, p.m. sent
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are the photos.

Nelson
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like turbo things... watching for progress with this thread.
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2019 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big thanks to Nelson for posting pictures. The yellow 88 is what my sd4 is going into. Still have a long ways to go. Fuel management , exhaust and transmission just to get it running. Turbo and intercooler next year.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2019 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are your goals with the turbo?
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2019 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Humm goals. I'm hoping for 450hp at 7k. But will most likely turn it down to 350hp to save the transmission. Still debating on either a 4t60 or a 4t60e. Transmission builder says the e will hold up to 350hp. Should be pretty wicked with a 3.73 gear and 3k stall convertor. Just going to use it for a weekend warrior. Take it to some shows, weekend cruises and some drag strip duty. Also got some black louvers to put on the front hood and an imsa spoiler for the rear. Should be pretty sharp.
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2019 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you will like that stall and gearing. I know its a different car and but I had that gearing in my camaro with an auto and 3k stall. Was very fun to drive and still very street-able. I believe it will all ready depend on how the convertor is built.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2019 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
84 IMSA wide body SE: Restoration project
14 GMC Sierra: Daily Driver

Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2019 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One more addition for the sd4.. 1 3/4" primaries and 3" collector in SS.

The 555S is the gasket I had. As you can see the holes don't match..

A few more pictures. If you see any issues I may have, feel free to comment.

PFF
System Bot
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It appears that you have a gasket for the 801 high port head. Try a Felpro 1441 and see if that helps you out. The 1441 measures about 2-7/8 on center on the diagonal outboard exhaust port bolt holes for reference. You will need to port the gasket for your round tube header. Sorry, no pics. I have a MAC.

Fred
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

It appears that you have a gasket for the 801 high port head. Try a Felpro 1441 and see if that helps you out.

Here's a comparison of the difference in exhaust gaskets.
The 1441 matches my SD4 PN 10038433 head's exhaust ports.
The lower is a stock Duke exhaust gasket.

------------------

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2019 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As Fierosound mentioned the Felpro 1441 matches Cylinder head 10038433. However looks like the OP has the 437 style head. 437 has an "inverted" bolt pattern. That gasket might work, if you put it on 'upside down'. But even if the bolts holes lined up, I don't think the exhaust ports will. I'm not sure what the correct gasket for the 437 head is.....even if its still made. 1441 is all I've seen in the last few years.
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2019 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Making more progress. If you look closely at # 3 cylinder, you can see a knick on the block. THey over reved it and threw a rod, you can see where they patch the hole on the other side. The mains are steel except for #5. Got them with the crank plus 14 cams, 2x4 intake and other miscellanous parts. You can also see my mystery part installed for the oil pump. THe cam gears is the angle tooth type. Anybody care to comment on the pros and cons between it and the straight tooth kind. I noticed fierosound's has a straight type.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2019 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

THe cam gears is the angle tooth type. Anybody care to comment on the pros and cons between it and the straight tooth kind. I noticed fierosound's has a straight type.

Angled teeth will be quieter.
Straight cut gears produce gear whine. I'm OK with that.

------------------

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2019 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do NOT use that angled gear unless it is steel. The aluminum gear will not hold up under the power of the SD4. I know from personal experience.
I switched to the straight cut steel gear and have had no problems. The engine is other wise so noisy a little extra gear noise is not even noticeable.
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2019 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up edfiero. Still have some other issues I need to discuss with my builder. He likes to make fun of the sd4. Says it's in the back with the real motors. And now it's the motor from hell. LOL.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2019 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Angled teeth will be quieter.
Straight cut gears produce gear whine. I'm OK with that.

The driver's ears may be OK with gear whine, but the knock sensor may pick up the sound and mistake it for knock.

Are you running a knock sensor on your Indy?

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 12-12-2019).]

Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2019 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, if it's an aluminum gear. What is the brand and part number for the straight steel gear set ? Won't see my builder till Monday, they're all at a pri convention in Indy. I have found a cast iron cam gear made by isky. (Used on a straight 6 )

[This message has been edited by Lilchief (edited 12-13-2019).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2019 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a picture of damaged Aluminum gear on the SD4. Complete and total failure is the only way to describe it.

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2019 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, if it's an aluminum gear. What is the brand and part number for the straight steel gear set ?

Cloyes 8-1018 HP Matched Gear Set
Iron cam gear, steel crank gear.
Might be hard to find though.

Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2019 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edfiero, did you do any internal damage when your cam gear broke ? Have you replaced it and if so with what ?
Fierosound, thanks for the gear update. I found some in China. I'm a little leery about that. Unless they're originally made there. I've also been looking at a cloyes 2764S and a Isky 250 -TGM. Does anybody anything about either one of these ? I'm starting to think I should have put this thread in the tech section. Oh well. This engine is starting to be a pain finding parts for.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2019 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've also been looking at a cloyes 2764S

Rockauto has that set.
https://www.rockauto.com/en...fo.php?pk=4720&jsn=3

It's a cast iron cam gear/steel crank gear combo, but with angle cut gears. It will be stronger than aluminum.
I'm pretty sure it's the recommended replacement for the 8-1018 set (and is all that's available now)

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-16-2019).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2019 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the big straight cut gear, with the original GM part number available for sale if you are able to locate a the matching small gear.

Looks like Coyles must have discontinued theirs just last year. I ordered a new set in 2017 from Summit Racing.

[This message has been edited by edfiero (edited 12-16-2019).]

Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2019 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edfiero, p.m. sent
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up my motor today. Here's some pics.

Just a few things of interest . The cam has a bolt holding the sprocket on so the cover needed modified. the cam also has a roller thrust bearing. The oil pan needed modified to allow rod clearance and greater oil capacity. Small cap distributor fits nicely. Lifter cover was fabed , stock interfered with the lifters ( solid roller). Still have a long ways to go. This is not a cheap engine to build unless you have all the parts.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Picked up my motor today. Here's some pics.

I had looked at balancers like that. I wanted a Fluidamper.

84-86 Duke had no harmonic balancer, only a double v-belt pulley on a hub.
87-88 Duke had a serpentine belt harmonic balancer/pulley.

Either way, the belts were tucked close to engine to line up with alternator, A/C compressor and water pump (see below)
Alternator belt is installed. A/C belt would be in outer pulley grooves to line up with A/C compressor.
You'll have some fab'ing to do to move accessory pulleys out to line up with pulley mounted to front of balancer you installed.

This is the balancer I have on my SD4 for double v-belts like 84 Duke pulley. GM part number 10039905

------------------

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-14-2020).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2021 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has the SD4 been installed?
How does she run?
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2021 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good question, been a long time.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock