Economical by timenewton
Started on: 08-14-2017 01:44 PM
Replies: 18 (386 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 08-18-2017 06:55 PM
timenewton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2017 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timenewtonSend a Private Message to timenewtonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I have a 3.8 SC fiero pushing about 300hp and it has a 4.10 4 speed. 2nd sync is going out. Now im at the point would it be to cheaper to get an isuzu 5 speed and swap it or go with the m17 gears swap?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
timenewton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2017 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timenewtonSend a Private Message to timenewtonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I found an isuzu 5 speed in a fiero at the junkyard for $200 with the added costs of the other components.

To swap in an Isuzu 5 speed here is what you will need:
Isuzu 5 speed (duh!)
Isuzu shift and select cables
5 speed shifter
Shifter console trim plate with the 5 speed pattern on it
You will need the brackets for the slave and the cables at the transaxle, and the transaxle mount brackets.

Anything else I need for this to work? Please respond I need to know by tomorrow.

Also like I said mine is a 4.10. So do the axles need to be swapped too?

[This message has been edited by timenewton (edited 08-15-2017).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2017 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would keep the 4 speed considering how much torque your engine is making.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2017 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do you find the 4.10 gearing with that much power?

What's good about the M17 is the ribbed case for durability, more so than the actual gears. And the ratios are different.

If you like this gearing, why don't you just keep it? Find a 4-speed transmission somewhere; there ought to be one good synchronizer ring in it.
timenewton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2017 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timenewtonSend a Private Message to timenewtonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont like the gearing honestly. At 60mph im at 3k rpm wondering when im suppose to shift again. It's fun up until 60 then it's just mehh. I have a 3.8 SC that tops out at 90.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2017 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You would like the M17, I think it is 3.65....so rpm would be much lower at speed. I think you would break an isuzu.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 08-15-2017).]

timenewton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2017 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timenewtonSend a Private Message to timenewtonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah i've thought about it. I believe im just giving up on the manual and going auto. Less hassle to worry about. Save money in the long run anyways, and not have to worry about hearing about breaking/fixing issues anymore. The fiero trans are just to weak for the modern age and I have now been enlightened.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2017 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think the Fiero transmissions are so bad, but none of them are new anymore. They're old and abused. Junkyard stuff needs rebuilding before use; cars don't end up in the JY because they still drive nice.

A crunchy synchro doesn't mean the transmission is weak. A synchro ring is a wear part requiring periodic replacement.

Saying your trans is broke because the 2nd gear is crunchy is like saying the design of your brakes suck, but you've worn the pads to the metal.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2017 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timenewton:

I believe im just giving up on the manual and going auto.

Well... that'll suck about 90% of the fun out of driving the car.

timenewton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2017 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timenewtonSend a Private Message to timenewtonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I understand the synchro will be easy enough to replace. I just don't like the 4.10 gearing. The car is fun up until 60. Mine has a spec 3 clutch in it. So i'll prob keep it the way it is till it rips some gears then its auto after that. As for 90% of the fun I doubt it. About the only fun I have with manuals is on curvy roads up and down shifting. For periodic driving auto is the way it is.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2017 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

I would keep the 4 speed considering how much torque your engine is making.

How much does a 3800 SC with 300 hp make?
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2017 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

The fiero trans are just to weak for the modern age and I have now been enlightened.

The Getrag is behind V8s. The Isuzu is weaker.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2017 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok so I found an isuzu 5 speed in a fiero at the junkyard for $200 with the added costs of the other components.

Originally posted by 2.5:

The Getrag is behind V8s. The Isuzu is weaker.

Agreed. Finding a FWD Getrag is easier too...
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000038.html

Rodney has everything he needs. Adapters, cables etc.
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=37&products_id=143

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2017 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

How much does a 3800 SC with 300 hp make?

Peak torque would be around 300, as a guess, but would be at a higher RPM than a V-8.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2017 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To swap in an 5 speed here is what you will need:

5-speed shift and select cables
5 speed shifter

Can someone explain why you need the 5-speed shifter?
How it is different from the 4-speed shifter?

One of our guys went from 4-speed to 5-speed and used the same shifter.
It's not like there's a "gate" limited to the "H" pattern.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2017 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15144 posts
Member since Nov 1999
The other choice would be a Getrag F23
(unfortunately all the pics were hosted somewhere else and are lost )
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087296.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-18-2017).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2017 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:
Peak torque would be around 300, as a guess, but would be at a higher RPM than a V-8.

Really, that surprises me I would not think near that high.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2017 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A stock Series 2 makes 240 horse @ 5200 and 280 ft lbs @ 3600.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2017 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your cable to transmission mount and slave mount are one and the same for the Isuzu. A question that wasn't answered was about what else you will need. You can use the same clutch and pressure plate, but you'll need to get an Isuzu throwout bearing.

One good thing about using an Isuzu behind the SC is that when you pop it, Isuzu's are fairly plentiful and cheaper than a Getrag. Tina, an old PFF drag racer ran Isuzus in her Fiero just for that reason. //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-2-055573.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock