P.I.P. on windows 10 by notwohorns
Started on: 07-04-2017 07:03 PM
Replies: 32 (557 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 07-06-2017 10:15 PM
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to configure P.I.P. with Windows 10. I downloaded it. Then I press on the P.I.P. image on desk top and brought to the screen the page where images on uploaded to the forum. Next it says to click on the new button to bring up the configuration page. Then it says push the "get" button. I do this and nothing happens. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you follow all steps listed in the Manual?
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Did you follow all steps listed in the Manual?

Yes I did. Went through it several times
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never got it to work with Win 7 or 8...even with dozens of attempts. Worked great with Win 98.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

Yes I did. Went through it several times

And in the Automatic Configuration Field, you had copy and pasted (or typed in)... //www.fiero.nl/fieroforum.pip (Ignore the link.)

I currently use PIP with Win 7 Pro. Hopefully someone running Win 10 can chime in and offer some further insight. Ogre could probably help.

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I never got it to work with Win 7 or 8...even with dozens of attempts. Worked great with Win 98.

Roger, as you've been informed numerous times in all these threads over the years... PIP is able to work with all versions of Windows. I don't know why you continue to take such delight informing us of your failures.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-04-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/097609.html#p16

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have it working on both of my Windows 10 machines, so I know it can be done. I don't recall having any issues getting it to work so unfortunately I'm no help in figuring out the problem other than encouragement that it is a double feat.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
" Roger, as you've been informed numerous times in all these threads over the years... PIP is able to work with all versions of Windows. I don't know why you continue to take such delight informing us of your failures. "

...because it dont work on any of my 5 computers at all. I guess I have a lot of special custom computers. It may work fine on your computers, but it dont on mine. Even the guys at the computer repair shop couldnt get it to work. Thats the reason ive used alternatives for a dozen years. Its not a delight...it was a pain in the azz when id spend half a day trying to get it to work. I got better stuff to do with my time. Besides, like ive said a hundred times...I like being able to delete them when I want to. If I do and you havent saved it, its gone. As long as other people keep asking about it, ill keep telling you the same thing so get used to it. Thank you.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got windows 10 and it worked right off the bat! I followed the instructions on the page. Do you have an anti-virus or firewall blocking it?

shem
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

As long as other people keep asking about it, ill keep telling you the same thing so get used to it. Thank you.

When people are asking for assistance, simply telling them that you couldn't figure it out and subsequently gave up is hardly helpful. You're welcome.
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, Okay, that appeared to have worked. I'll resize a photo and see if I can post it. Thanks to you and every body
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick, Okay, that appeared to have worked. I'll resize a photo and see if I can post it.

Maximum width - 1024 pixels. Maximum file size - 300 kb. I like to use IrfanView for image resizing, It's free. It's great.

Waiting with great anticipation.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-05-2017).]

notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried using P.I.P. but my photo was too big. I resized it to 1024 but the bytes are too much. How do I fix that.

Thanks again

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I tried using P.I.P. but my photo was too big. I resized it to 1024 but the bytes are too much. How do I fix that.

Thanks again

I use a different photo sizer (Light Image Resizer 4) but set my max size to 1010 bytes and I almost always get a PIP postable photo. If the size is too large , work the resizer once again with a lower limit. BTW, my resizer creates new copies of the photo and does not change the original one.

Nelson
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I resized it to 1024 but the bytes are too much. How do I fix that.

There needs to be higher compression of the JPG image.

One feature of IrfanView that I really like is that you can set the maximum file size of the JPG image (your goal is 300 kb for PIP) before you save it. The program itself then works out the compression required, and implements it. Takes all the guesswork out, makes the process so easy.

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just open the picture in paint, go to resize. On my old phone resizing to 50 would make the files under 300k, but my new phone(i go thru them monthly,sometimes a day) I have to resize to 32.

shem
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Just open the picture in paint, go to resize. On my old phone resizing to 50 would make the files under 300k...

Shem, that might be an option, and it's probably very simple to do... but I imagine that process will actually shrink the image size, and not just the file size. Is that correct? If so, it's a shame to make the image smaller than it needs to be when all it needed was a higher compression ratio with the same pixel dimensions (as long as it's not wider than 1024).

Both of these images are just under 300 kb. I prefer the larger one.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been using PIP on every Windows series since Windows 95. Never failed to work. If you don't use a resizer like Patrick's, and can set the pixel to a custom setting, I use 1024 x 768. I think I open the picture in Paint to resize it. Then with PIP open, click Browse, find the folder and open and file and open. Then Post, then OK. Place your cursor in your message, and hold down Ctrl and click v. The pictures are never over 300k, whether I use the little Sony, the phone, the Sony HD video camera in snapshot, or the Canon EOS.

On my last PC running Windows 10, I used PowerToys for Windows Image Resizer, but for some reason, that won't operate on the current PC with Windows 10.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paste the following into the box by Automatic Configuration:
//www.fiero.nl/fieroforum.pip

Then click Get.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not had issues with any of the Windows versions. I use GIMP2.0 to resize my images. I would not recommend it, unless you are doing photo editing, but I do resize all of my images to 1024x768, AND compress them to 85%. I usually start with 3-4Meg images from my phone. They are usually around 200-280K when done. No issues at all.

Good luck getting it going.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 07-06-2017).]

Fiero Tom

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used IfranView for years to resize and crop photos ........

http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

PFF
System Bot
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Testing PIP on Windows 10...... hey, it works......
I did nothing special other than resizing the picture ( a little too much on the first one) using paint.

Once you get the size correct, simple matter of going to the history in PIP and then clicking the button under the picture you want to post, then hitting control / V.
It will be on your clipboard, so go to the section you want to post it, and simply right click and paste the image link on the clipboard there.

All of my images are on Photobucket, and today I just downloaded them all to back them up just in case.

I will be using PIP from here on out for sure.
At first it was a bit cumbersome, but then I started thinking about how I have to log in to Photobucket, find the image, right click on the link, copy, then come back here and paste, etc.... this will be much easier.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When people are asking for assistance, simply telling them that you couldn't figure it out and subsequently gave up is hardly helpful. You're welcome.

Its not I cant figure it out. I installed it fine before on Win 98. Me and no one at either local computer shops could get it working either on XP, 7, or 8.2. I have Vaios, Gateways and Toshiba cmptrs. You simply saying it works doesnt make it so either. I do have Avast and MWB. Tried PIP install with and with them off. I quit trying years ago. Too much aggravation when I have something that works just fine...AND gives me the benefit of deleting. People are welcome to ignore...their choice. I dont push any particular host, like I said there are 100.

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is why when I find an interesting thread with valuable reference information, I save a local copy on my hard disk...

It must be expected that any externally-hosted photos can disappear at any moment.

Actually, it must also be expected that PFF may cease to exist at any time, therefore, the need to save valuable information locally already exists, even without the whole photo-hosting brouhaha.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 07-06-2017).]

railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Tom:

I've used IfranView for years to resize and crop photos ........

http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Irfanview has a very nice batch conversion feature also that you can add as many pictures to as you want all at once, save them to a "resized" folder, and point PIP to it.
I did all of mine now at 1024 x 768, and every one is picked up by PIP......
Example:

Doing this is actually much easier than using an external host for me now.
I wish I had looked at PIP closer years ago........
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick. Sorry to keep buggin you----But-----I resized my photo using InfanView and the worked great. But the byte size is still over 300. I read everything on the InfanView side but can't see anything that will change that.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I resized my photo using InfanView and the worked great. But the byte size is still over 300. I read everything on the InfanView side but can't see anything that will change that.

Did you download and install the PlugIns?

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The host I use automatically resizes any size photo I want to use, so it never posts an oversize pic that makes you have to scroll to see.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

Irfanview has a very nice batch conversion feature also that you can add as many pictures to as you want all at once, save them to a "resized" folder, and point PIP to it.

I did all of mine now at 1024 x 768, and every one is picked up by PIP......

Simply set the width to 1024... no need to worry about the height. Just make sure Preserve aspect ratio (proportional) is selected.

Yeah, the batch conversion feature is great.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-06-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Read my link above.
Two programs are easy and free. resizer in made to work for limited picture size services.
Right click the picture file, set size needed, done.
You can batch resize too using any method Win Explorer will select including Turn On "Use check boxes to select items" under organize/file-search options/view

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maximum width - 1024 pixels. Maximum file size - 300 kb. I like to use IrfanView for image resizing, It's free. It's great.

Waiting with great anticipation.

Tried this program today, when I went to save the image it said could not load RIOT.DLL.
Looked in the file folder, there is no RIOT plug in.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-06-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is just a test photo

Hell, Looks like it works

Thanks again to Patrick and all others
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock