Gen1 Headlight Overhaul / Electronics Upgrade by SmokeJaguar
Started on: 06-28-2017 11:20 PM
Replies: 4 (394 views)
Last post by: Ales on 07-03-2017 11:42 AM
SmokeJaguar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2017 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeJaguarSend a Private Message to SmokeJaguarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up one of the new headlight control modules from Rodney last week and am going to go over the install for anyone who might be interested. Tossed an Arduino and a couple of 12V motors with static loads (3A per motor) on it and have been cycling the hell out of the controller. So far no hang ups or signs of failure, doesn't even seem to miss a beat unless I cycle the thing really fast (sub .5 second intervals, relays are only so fast). Just finished up rebuilding the headlight motors themselves with the aluminum gear upgrades and amazingly enough, the isolation relays were still good. Due to their obsolescence, price and the fact that I am cursed on them, I am glad to be getting rid of them.

I am definitely happy with the upgrade kit so far, seems to have been well thought out. Might have to extend some wires, but after pulling a few headlight harnesses, they seem to differ in length anyways. The case is very well sealed and potted as well, so I will not have to worry about water ingress. The kit also contains all the electrical connections, splices, and relevant hardware as well. Only thing I am going to be adding is a different style of wire loom as opposed to the corrugated plastic flex. I am MUCH happier using the fabric style wrap as it clings tightly to the wire, it doesn't need tape and it has a much slimmer look.

Upon opening one motor, I found the brushes mixed around in the green chunky schmoo that was the old gear bumpers. Thankfully, I bought new brushes just in case! Currently I am awaiting some new electroconductive glue as my old container had set solid. No photos yet as it seems the general headlight rebuild process is well documented. Though, for anyone who has run into motors with damaged actuator arm threads or missing nuts, 1/4" x28 is the size. Just standard national fine thread, which was a good thing as the threads were in bad shape on one of the motors.

More to come, plus photographs!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I'll be waiting
SmokeJaguar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2017 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeJaguarSend a Private Message to SmokeJaguarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started soldering on some of the connectors, rain messed things up, so all indoor work. The butt connectors SUCK for soldering, so I am foregoing them and just using some really nice lead based solder to join the wires. The butt connectors on their own aren't terrible, but they downright repel all the types of solder I have thrown at it.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2017 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed a controller kit in a local Fiero owners 85 yesterday. I used my new technique for soldering the butt splices. Strip the wires 1/2". Then solder the middles (on most of the butt splices the solder flowed into the center area well but on some it did not) then solder the ends. I want to think some do not flow because they are air locked. But I soldered the ends and flowed solder out and over the butt splice. I think this technique works especially well. I found butt splices that have a larger open area in the middle. There is enough room to even get in there with a sharp scribe or something and slightly lift the ends of some of the wires so the solder can flow well around the ends of the wires. But you would still solder the ends. I put a picture of this on the installation page:

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=21&products_id=424

This was the fifth controller system I have personally installed now. I have it down pat now. I took more pictures and I'll be updating my web page soon. I think I have all the installation bugs worked out now. This last installation went really well. All the soldered butt splices were excellent. They way we routed the wires, grounded the black wires etc was excellent. His headlights went up and down like new again.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Ales

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlesSend a Private Message to AlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was at Rodney's home this past Saturday and with his help we got this Headlight Motor Control System installed and working as expected, the installation process is not too complicated, you just need to take your time in order to get things done right, the kit is top notch, high quality and very well thought out, it contains every single little thing you need to get it installed, despite the fact that my headlights were in working order I still wanted to upgrade to a newer, more efficient system and remove old/obsolete parts that might fail at any time n the near future, all I can say is that after we finished the installation on my Fiero GT, my Headlight Motors System works better than ever, they go up and down without missing a beat in a fast and reliable manner, I feel confident that my system will continue to work for many years to come.

Thanks Rodney for helping keeping Fieros alive and for developing such an amazing product (once again).

Ales

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock