Looking at buying a Mera... by KennyC
Started on: 06-08-2017 02:02 PM
Replies: 12 (614 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 06-20-2017 08:29 PM
KennyC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Long story short, I was recently told I'll be heading for degenerative issues in the neck/shoulder in the future. That means if I'm going to ever have and enjoy a Mera for long, it better be sooner than later.

The MUST haves:

* Transmission - automatic so my better half can enjoy it too.
* Title - clean, not bonded, not rebuilt, no accident history, no replacement title subject to rights under original

The wants:

* prefer an 87 over an 88
* prefer original paint, even if it has some issues
* prefer sunroof
* prefer the more original the better

Not too interested in dealing with some "museum" or "dealer" that's asking 30-50% over normal value either.

I saw 88-094 for sale, but the car has been modified a bit (wheels, radio, plenum, intake, ferrarized) and seems to need a decent bit of work (seats, carpet, bumpers paint etc) for the price considering no undercarriage and common rust area pics either...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should post this in the mall under the wanting to buy section. You will get more feelers there. Good luck with your search. Mera's are very cool.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2012 Kia Forte Koup
2017 Kia Forte S

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners

DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a Mera on eBay right now that might be what you are looking for. The paint can use some attention, but a good paint correction detail like I had done on my Mera might do wonders for it. The interior is very plain and really needs a set of MrMikes seat upholstery. And sadly the original wheels are gone. But it is a 1988 Mera automatic which makes it very desirable.

Here is the link to the listing. To be clear I have ZERO association with this car and only have stumbled on the eBay listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...AOSw~FJZOIS-&vxp=mtr

Good luck, I really hope you find your dream car.

------------------

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the right price I do have a spare set of original 88 Mera Chromadoras.

Nelson

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

There is a Mera on eBay right now that might be what you are looking for. The paint can use some attention, but a good paint correction detail like I had done on my Mera might do wonders for it. The interior is very plain and really needs a set of MrMikes seat upholstery. And sadly the original wheels are gone. But it is a 1988 Mera automatic which makes it very desirable.

Here is the link to the listing. To be clear I have ZERO association with this car and only have stumbled on the eBay listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...AOSw~FJZOIS-&vxp=mtr

Good luck, I really hope you find your dream car.

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 06-10-2017).]

KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2017 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the offer on the rims Nelson.

Honestly, I don't think that 88 is a good option, unless the guy takes about 5k less than he's fishing for. (Ebay is at 12k, local listing say 14k, for that particular car I'd probably be 8-9k tops on a good day.

First, it's almost everything I don't want in a Mera - it's an 88, hardtop, with tons of modification and damage.

The dash is broken in many places, including missing a couple inches off each corner. Needing seat covers and rugs isn't a huge deal necessarily, if price takes it into account - which this guy doesnt. Radio was hacked up and has a newer gp unit, power mirrors are missing with hole for controls left in the warped console, got the Ferrari treatment with the original mera stuff stripped away including the rims.

Not counting the paint, the modification on the engine (air intake, upper manifold, who knows what else) there's a ton of work needed to make that car come back, and I'd be time and money ahead holding out for a nice car rather tHan a beat and abused example like that one.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2017 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car and good luck, it's number 8094. I like
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw another Fiero at the bottom of that ebay listing. Another dealer who thinks his Fiero is a gold mine...$21,000

I loved my 308 kit. Put 100K on it in just about 7 years. I just got tired of it and wanted something new...got a 450 SL Mercedes convertible as its replacement. After I built it from the ground up, I never had any issues with anything on it. The only problem in that time was it needed a new ignition module about every 2 years on average. I did it often enough, it was a 10 min repair job.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you were willing to do without an auto transmission and spend quite a bit more, I have two 87 Meras (t-top and sunroof) that i might be willing to sell. They are mostly stock except for engine upgrades. One is my backup show car and the other one is in the paint shop right now.

Nelson

BTW, I will not hold my breath until you decide to buy one of the cars!

Originally posted by KennyC:

Thanks for the offer on the rims Nelson.

Honestly, I don't think that 88 is a good option, unless the guy takes about 5k less than he's fishing for. (Ebay is at 12k, local listing say 14k, for that particular car I'd probably be 8-9k tops on a good day.

First, it's almost everything I don't want in a Mera - it's an 88, hardtop, with tons of modification and damage.

The dash is broken in many places, including missing a couple inches off each corner. Needing seat covers and rugs isn't a huge deal necessarily, if price takes it into account - which this guy doesnt. Radio was hacked up and has a newer gp unit, power mirrors are missing with hole for controls left in the warped console, got the Ferrari treatment with the original mera stuff stripped away including the rims.

Not counting the paint, the modification on the engine (air intake, upper manifold, who knows what else) there's a ton of work needed to make that car come back, and I'd be time and money ahead holding out for a nice car rather tHan a beat and abused example like that one.

KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

If you were willing to do without an auto transmission and spend quite a bit more, I have two 87 Meras (t-top and sunroof) that i might be willing to sell. They are mostly stock except for engine upgrades. One is my backup show car and the other one is in the paint shop right now.

Nelson

BTW, I will not hold my breath until you decide to buy one of the cars!

Thanks for another generous offer, but I'm afraid the automatic is an absolute must. My other half neither drives, nor would I entrust a mera for her to learn to drive, a stick.

I talked to the current owner of 094, and he's either not a car guy or simply delusional. He said, and I quote, "the car can be made mint for under $3000" after admitting and acknowledging in the previous sentence the car needed the whole interior redone and a full paint job.

Not sure what fantasy land he's in, but if you can get quality paint of the body, bumpers, etc, pay for seat reupholstery and installation, new carpets and installation, purchase and have installed a replacement as mentioned for the broken cracked dashboard, missing rims, fix broken power mirrors, wrong radio, wrong underhood parts, and reproduce those emblems all for $3k, I need some of what he's on.

Around here you *might*, stress ***MIGHT*** get a quality paint job done for $3k, but that'd be it and count yourself lucky at that!

[This message has been edited by KennyC (edited 06-12-2017).]

KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KennyC

316 posts
Member since Jul 2006
Those more in the know on the "Mera market" feel free to chime in if I'm not being realistic here:

$12-14k range:

Mechanical: car has 40-70k miles, no repairs needed and no fluid leaks. A/c works as it should, steering rack tight and trouble free, parking brake works properly, no funny noises or worn shocks/suspension. Should not be modified, or slight value deductions made to return to stock. (Does not apply to a drivetrain swap car obviously) Tires match, good tread, not a bottom line "generic" brand and not 12 years old - (note, a preserved original tires low mileage car isn't what's being dinged here)

Paint: will be nice, if red will not fade to "gm pink" a week after waxing. No peeling or fade, no delamination into the fiber layers near an edge (roof, sunroof lup, etc). May have a small chip touched up here or there, or a small scratch somewhere but no major issues.

Exterior/trim: may be missing some original mera emblems, and may have been "stickered" as a ferrari. Grille, bumpers lenses, black trim etc all intact, and do not need refinishing or replacement. May not have original mirrors or rims, but if these are missing will push car to bottom end of range. Dew wipes may have a couple small cracks, but should not be fallen apart with scratched windows. Headlight motors should work normally.

Interior: clean and original. Headliner has no sag. If sunroof or ttops, these do not leak with seals in good repair. Seats in good repair, not worn bolsters or damaged foam. May be recovered, but if so, professional quality without ripples/sags and nor worn. All gauges work correctly, radio works and is original type. Dash should not be cracked or broken. Console should have only very minor, if any, warping or issues. Carpet should be clean and unworn.

If cars are missing things along those lines, value goes down correspondingly. Obviously a showroom fresh condition almost "perfect" car would be thousands higher.

Sound about right? Basing that on looking at auction results and ads for cars over the past 2-3 years I found..
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are not too unreasonable with your requirements but the possibility of finding a relatively rare vehicle such as a Mera with an automatic transmission as well as your other desires will make for a difficult search. IMHO, you would be better locating a vehicle that has most of what you want from a mechanical standpoint and then refinish the remainder of the car to your personal specifications. Feel free to send me a PM so I can give you a phone number and I will discuss this in more detail if you wish.

Nelson

Originally posted by KennyC:

Those more in the know on the "Mera market" feel free to chime in if I'm not being realistic here:

$12-14k range:

Mechanical: car has 40-70k miles, no repairs needed and no fluid leaks. A/c works as it should, steering rack tight and trouble free, parking brake works properly, no funny noises or worn shocks/suspension. Should not be modified, or slight value deductions made to return to stock. (Does not apply to a drivetrain swap car obviously) Tires match, good tread, not a bottom line "generic" brand and not 12 years old - (note, a preserved original tires low mileage car isn't what's being dinged here)

Paint: will be nice, if red will not fade to "gm pink" a week after waxing. No peeling or fade, no delamination into the fiber layers near an edge (roof, sunroof lup, etc). May have a small chip touched up here or there, or a small scratch somewhere but no major issues.

Exterior/trim: may be missing some original mera emblems, and may have been "stickered" as a ferrari. Grille, bumpers lenses, black trim etc all intact, and do not need refinishing or replacement. May not have original mirrors or rims, but if these are missing will push car to bottom end of range. Dew wipes may have a couple small cracks, but should not be fallen apart with scratched windows. Headlight motors should work normally.

Interior: clean and original. Headliner has no sag. If sunroof or ttops, these do not leak with seals in good repair. Seats in good repair, not worn bolsters or damaged foam. May be recovered, but if so, professional quality without ripples/sags and nor worn. All gauges work correctly, radio works and is original type. Dash should not be cracked or broken. Console should have only very minor, if any, warping or issues. Carpet should be clean and unworn.

If cars are missing things along those lines, value goes down correspondingly. Obviously a showroom fresh condition almost "perfect" car would be thousands higher.

Sound about right? Basing that on looking at auction results and ads for cars over the past 2-3 years I found..

PFF
System Bot
Drewbdo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrewbdoSend a Private Message to DrewbdoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is an [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Pontiac-Fiero/222549668861?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D501bac581d12443fa09e9802a0732448%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26mehot%3Dpp%26 sd%3D222549668861]88 Mera on eBay[/url] right now. Needs some work, but it's automatic with a clean title.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D 222549668861

It is F-car badged, but can be removed. Needs good detailing and cleaning.

Not my car, but I happened to see it mentioned on another thread this morning.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The vehicle referenced here is the same Mera that did not get a bid at $12000 and has now been relisted at $9500. If it goes down a bit more this may be a worthwhile vehicle to consider if you want an automatic transmission. BTW, the vehicle appears to be located in Vicksburg, MS.

Nelson

Originally posted by Drewbdo:

There is an [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Pontiac-Fiero/222549668861?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D501bac581d12443fa09e9802a0732448%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26mehot%3Dpp%26 sd%3D222549668861]88 Mera on eBay[/url] right now. Needs some work, but it's automatic with a clean title.

[URL=http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Pontiac-Fiero/222549668861?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D501bac581d12443fa09e9802a0732448%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26mehot%3Dpp%26 sd%3D]http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D[/URL] 222549668861

It is F-car badged, but can be removed. Needs good detailing and cleaning.

Not my car, but I happened to see it mentioned on another thread this morning.

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 06-20-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock