Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Who Makes The Best 86-88 GT Sail Panels in 2017?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Who Makes The Best 86-88 GT Sail Panels in 2017? by JCircs
Started on: 03-08-2017 08:52 AM
Replies: 29 (1709 views)
Last post by: Old Lar on 03-21-2017 03:03 PM
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm aware of the issues with the molds, seems like that's a dead issue. There are still a few suppliers around and would like to hear opinions on the fit and quality on the most recent installs. I still have the OEM installed on my car but they have some imperfections after 30 years would love a new set.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was the GT tail lights for which the molds were lost/destroyed.

I put the aftermarket sails on mine after it was painted in 2015. They were initially installed before the drip rails which made it pretty easy. But the tape failed and both came off while the car was being driven. I replaced them and did a better install job- cleaned the whole body area with 3M adhesive remover, used two thicknesses of new 3M high bond tape, and more importantly, ran a bead of black caulk along the leading edge to prevent air from getting under them. No more problems.

The compound curve might not be there out of the box, but they flex and look fine. The ways in which they are obviously not OEM is that the tinted version doesn't have the green cast like OEM and the GT logo is under the tint so it's muted. The clear version has a sharp GT logo, but they have not tint unlike the OEM greening tint.

I went with the gray tint but if I had it to do over, I'd go with the clear.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tinted my OEM sails 7 years ago and they still look perfect. I would get the clear and tint myself, I would hate to remove the originals and not be happy with the replacements. The little cracks are getting bigger every year......
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:
The little cracks are getting bigger every year......

If they are like mine, which were intact before paint but had to be removed, they will come off the car in hundreds of tiny fragments.

I wish I'd thought about getting clear and tinting myself- that's a good idea.

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the ones on ebay sold by gtfiero are really nice. I picked up a set recently after being disappointed with a used set I bought. aside from the bottom to top curvature not being there they look great. Mine do have the original green tint to them.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

the ones on ebay sold by gtfiero are really nice. I picked up a set recently after being disappointed with a used set I bought. aside from the bottom to top curvature not being there they look great. Mine do have the original green tint to them.

I know once mine are removed there's no turning back, there going to crumble. Does the lack of curve make them stick out on the top/bottom?
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2017 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

It was the GT tail lights for which the molds were lost/destroyed.

I was talking about the molds Pokey has been working on for the last 9 years that are now held up in a shop in California.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2017 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know once mine are removed there's no turning back, there going to crumble. Does the lack of curve make them stick out on the top/bottom?

I've installed 2 sets of Chris Cook's (gtfiero on ebay) GT quarter windows without any issues. It seems no one is making them with the complex curves, but if you clean the body panels properly and apply the tape properly and in the same places as OEM, let them sit in the sun for a day, you should be OK. The biggest problem with detachment seems to result from the use of the wrong type of ink/paint for the black background.

This is what happens when the wrong ink/paint is used. It doesn't bond to the window.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 03-09-2017).]

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2017 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not at all. Do NOT skimp on the tape. Use 3M HB or VHB (high bond/very high bond). Clean the area thoroughly so the tape can bond to the car.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2017 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can someone post a few pics of their replacement windows please ?
Thanks !!!
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2017 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I'd love to see some installed replacement sails.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-12-2017 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've purchased grey tint quarter window set from Chris Cook, GTFiero on eBay. I'm very pleased with his product.

From others who have tinted their sail panels, it often gets deteriorated due to the heat coming from the engine depends on how often you drive it. So, IMHO, you'd be better off going with grey tint which will be protected from the heat cuz it's built into it.

And if you clean the area very good before you install, it should stick very good under the sun. You don't have to run a black caulk on the leading edge at all. It should seal right next to the door seal. Any type of caulking will make it look like sh*t. No offense.

Cheers!
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2017 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:
It should seal right next to the door seal. Any type of caulking will make it look like sh*t. No offense.

Cheers!

Saying someone's car looks like **** and then tacking on "no offense" is a total dick move. No offense, of course.

I had both panels come off on the freeway. Risking that happening again, from a safety standpoint, much less the cost, is also a dick move. Again, no offense.

Chris' panels are fine. They flex to fit the space and don't stick out. If someone still wants more pics let me know exactly what you want to see and I'll post them today.
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2017 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2017 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best angled picture I have of Chris Cook's windows on my brother's 86GT. These replaced the windows in my picture above. We used Mustang 5.0 GT emblems positioned over the stock GT logo, to continue with the Silver and Black theme.

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2017 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris' panels are fine. They flex to fit the space and don't stick out. If someone still wants more pics let me know exactly what you want to see and I'll post them today.

I'd like to see from back to front, where it almost comes to a point. If you can get an angle that shows the reveals and also the curve.im going to order a set either way just to have but still contemplating removing my OEM sails.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2017 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JCircs

961 posts
Member since Jan 2011
I just ordered a set from Chris I'm sure I'll be happy.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2017 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree.

Here are a few more pics. Sorry for the reflections.

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-13-2017 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Saying someone's car looks like **** and then tacking on "no offense" is a total dick move. No offense, of course.

I had both panels come off on the freeway. Risking that happening again, from a safety standpoint, much less the cost, is also a dick move. Again, no offense.

Lorennerol,

Whoa! You jumped the gun here over my opinion. I guess you have a thin skin. Look, it wasn’t my intention to insult you at all, but stating my opinion about the caulking itself. Don't put words in my mouth! I didn't say your car looks like sh*t, but the caulking makes your sail panels look like sh*t! I was being honest here. A guy can’t even state his opinion without hurting your feelings?

If you saw someone’s Ferrari with caulks all over it, would you say “Yucky”? You bet! You can’t use redneck fixes on Fieros cuz it makes our Fieros look tacky. Gotta make our Fieros look its best!

Every time you open your door or someone opens your passenger side door, that caulking is gonna be the first thing you / they will see right in front of you / them.

Remember, the car didn’t come from the factory caulked up either. So, you must have done it wrong!

Out of my busy schedule, I was kind to express my honest opinion. So, relax & try not to take things personally. Have a great day!

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 03-14-2017).]

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-13-2017 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Clear or Tint?
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2017 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

Clear or Tint?

I ordered the clear, if I decide to put them on I will have them tinted to match my windows.
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2017 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store ones are well made, dot matrix, correct curves etc (I have heard they are cris cooks)
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2017 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done something a bit different with mine- I converted my 85 SE V6 to 86-88 GT rear quarters w/ no Ground effects and a 87-88 base car nose. Both quarter windows broke at the front while removing at the JY...I wanted to create a different look, so I made "B" pillar covers that fool you into thinking that the "B" pillar is thinner than the tinted section makes it look. I used 1/8" Aluminum and had it curved and then had a friend weld on a front strip and 3 hooks to hold it on....Painted them Graphite grey metallic to match the center of my wheels, and then after twisting them on, ran a screw thru into a nylon expanding nut in a square hole to lock them, then covered the screw with a G6 trunk arrowhead emblem- Looks factory.

The problem for me tho is that I need windows that have the top-to-bottom curve- I don't need the leading edge curve.....I actually bonded them on with....Black Silicone RTV...(But it doesn't show)...I wanted the windows in a bit to match the fact that the front side windows are NOT flush...Obviously, my car is not stock....I'd post a pic but this site doesn't let me do that...I can Email to someone who knows how if you guys wish.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 03-15-2017).]

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2017 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I'd post a pic but this site doesn't let me do that...I can Email to someone who knows how if you guys wish.

You got me curious. I'll post it for you.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 03-15-2017).]

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2017 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015
There you go, Cvxjet! Not a bad idea!

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2017 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks vice....(Thanking vice...somehow, that doesn't seem right...) By the way, I painted them the Graphite metallic paint to make them stand out from the black surround of the rear windows so your eye is fooled into thinking that all of the plastic is window which makes you think the "B" pillar is narrower.

Originally, my idea was to sort of copy the styling of the mid 70s Monza- the "B" pillar was a row of venting that I always thought looked good...I wasted quite a bit of time trying to route out some plexi to create the illusion of the decklid vents on a GT....But, boy...that was a big waste of time! So I went with the smooth panel...and the G6 trunk emblem is a huge step up in quality vs the older emblems...Looks like a jewel!
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2017 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What windows did you use and cut down? I see the dot matrix.
I really like the look, I know the emblem is covering a hole so you really can't center it, but what about adding something like
Fiero
GT
Next to it, so the emblem doesn't look off centered.

I also like the coupe nose on the GT body, you should also do the later year coupe rear end too.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2017 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are, as far as I can tell, original windows; They came off the Fiero GT I took the deck and rear body off of. I actually wanted the emblem where it is....But I know some would think otherwise- it sort of copies the layout of the notchy side pieces.....I will admit that I had thought of doing a "Fiero GTU" in outline letters next to it. I found out years ago that dark red and gray are hard for our eyes to focus on- it looks like the letters are vibrating; I made some print-outs using excel with outline lettering in dark red...They look nice....But the new excel doesn't have the outline style lettering. (At Zion Canyon NP, I noticed that light green on orange does the same thing(tree leaves against the canyon wall).

I also like the early rear- with the bumper pads....and I am starting to work on a molded-in kicktail- I want it to continue the curve of the taillight cove and the upper edge of the "C" pillars so it lengthens the tail approx' 5-6"....I did a practice run on a ruined decklid, but it's still a little bit too cold for resin to cure.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2017 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I had the sail panels replaced in my 87 & 88 GT, they were installed using the "goop" which is used to install windshields. No issue after 15 years with them loosening.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock