Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Where are YOU in the Fiero lifecycle? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Where are YOU in the Fiero lifecycle? by tshark
Started on: 02-18-2017 11:47 AM
Replies: 82 (1489 views)
Last post by: tshark on 03-03-2017 08:09 AM
FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I believe at this time I'm ready to move on
Once it warms up and I find a new place to live I'm gonna sell the car on Craigslist

Same here. Bought it as a daily driver in 2012 to save on gas. It had it's problems that are pretty much worked out for much less than the price of a new car. Have to rebuild the front suspension now, but really don't feel like it. Getting tired of working on something because I have to, rather than I want to. Put on approximately 125,000 miles and went through 2 or 3 throw-out bearings. Clutching it because of traffic approximately 14 miles each way is not good. The bearings have actually turned blue from the heat. Already got an 06 Cobalt that I've been using for 2 or so months.

IP: Logged
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am at a 3-4
I am still making subtle changes to my GT but I enjoy the heck out of driving it.
I will stay into it as long as I can.
Another big plus for me are the events.
I have met many really good people going to these Fiero events and I really enjoy attending, even the times that
my Fiero has been down.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine's all stock, but I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. I bought it for the long haul.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:

Same here. Bought it as a daily driver in 2012 to save on gas. It had it's problems that are pretty much worked out for much less than the price of a new car. Have to rebuild the front suspension now, but really don't feel like it. Getting tired of working on something because I have to, rather than I want to. Put on approximately 125,000 miles and went through 2 or 3 throw-out bearings. Clutching it because of traffic approximately 14 miles each way is not good. The bearings have actually turned blue from the heat. Already got an 06 Cobalt that I've been using for 2 or so months.

Had to sell my V8 Fiero when I left Florida
I was hoping that this SE would have resparked my interest but it's just not doing it
I just don't have it in me to do another Engine swap to get back where I was

Not when I can take the equivalent cash and buy a newer car that's already got a V8 and a back seat
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Recapturing the spark is difficult. That having been stated, go to some Fiero events. Hang out with the people.
BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm somewhere between 1 and 7! Just depends on the day.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can no longer afford the expense of keeping an older car running.
Since I moved to Florida in 2008, my salary has been half what it was in Texas, for doing the same work. So my hobbies have had to cost less.

So anyway, I think I'm done.
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OP, what number does "reliving your teenage years" fall under?

I was obsessed with these cars between 17 and 21 years old. Went through four of them. Got another at age 30, but bailed before getting it road worthy.

Now, at age 44, I've got my low mileage Sunday driver . . . although age took a little more of a toll than I would have anticipated. Just some minor refresh needed on my part, and I hope to be done with the bulk of it within the next month or so.

I can see where working on these things constantly has made some grow weary of them. After all, they weren't exactly reliable when new, more less 30 years later. As a naysayer said to me when I was trying to get that Fiero road worthy some 14 years ago . . . "Man, they weren't good when times were good!"

At the time, I wanted to punch him in the throat.

[This message has been edited by USMUCL (edited 02-22-2017).]

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USMUCL:

Now, at age 44, I've got my low mileage Sunday driver . . . although age took a little more of a toll than I would have anticipated.

I'm right there with you....oh, wait . You meant the FIERO. Nevermind
mafv8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Currently in the 5-7 area, but will hopefully get back down to 4-5 as soon as the weather co-operates and I can drive it again.

------------------
84SE, aero body, 4 speed and an injected 355 V8

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USMUCL:

OP, what number does "reliving your teenage years" fall under?

Maybe step 5. Dunno. As some mentioned, you may cycle through some steps several times.
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so I'm probably a 2. I just got into the Fiero 4 years ago. never owned one before that. I'm no youngster but having some fun doing mods and making a fast car even though I don't often go fast. have a SC3800 and putting parts together to do a V8 Fiero. maybe I should put that on hold and wait for someone who just wants their V8 project out of the garage for a super low price. certainly seems like there are a bunch of people dropping out. as people know it's not only Fiero's but most cars. the younger group just isn't very interested. I've got a extra 2 car garage at our new place so I've got room for 2.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2017 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will never fall out of love, but I lack the space and tools and time and money to keep one of these cars alive.
Like that FieroRumor guy used to say - "Better to have owned one (or three) and lost than never to have owned one at all..."

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2017 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1,3,4,5, all at the same time.
I think it is generally not being involved, not satisfying curiosity as related to the history of the car, not developing relationships with fellow enthuisiasts, not having or taking time to devote to the hobby, not going for a drive in the car, that generally makes most people lose interest. Or they just decide a different car is more their thing.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2017 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

I can no longer afford the expense of keeping an older car running.
Since I moved to Florida in 2008, my salary has been half what it was in Texas, for doing the same work. So my hobbies have had to cost less.

So anyway, I think I'm done.

Even a $1k 2m4 that just keeps on running? I know a lot of those.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2017 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
The "young" folks use facebook, it is active. Much activity moved from PFF to there, but the activity is still there. They mod their cars more. But they do like them. If you see them at events, talk to them. Invite them.
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2017 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm definitely a 3. I love working on my car....one day I may even be able to drive it.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2017 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
e

Have 3, all running, but many plans for them, engine swaps, body mods, etc, etc that I don't have money for yet (hopefully soon, graduating in May). Want 4 more!
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2017 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2017 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
5.5. For us it wasn't about losing interest in Fiero's as much as it was about having limited space. At one time we owned three Fiero's. The first was an 85GT, that I converted into a fastback, and then we picked up an 88 to be my wife's daily driver, and then I picked up another 85 that I had Archie turn into a chop top (#4). So even though they are gone we still have an interest in Fiero's, and I continue to check them out to this day.

However, as I said it was a space issue for us because , and we fell in love w/another Pontiac two seater, the Pontiac Solstice. So we had to make the decision to sell the Fiero's in order to make way for the Solstices (a 2006 and a 2009 (1 of 1266 coupes). In fact quite a few Solstice & SKY owners were, or still are, Fiero owners.

There's also some similarities between the two cars, both makes are what I'd consider cult cars, both are now orphan cars, and the Solstice forum is also starting to slow down from it's heyday. But like the Fiero, there will always be enthusiasts and lifers, and new owners joining the forums to keep the platforms alive.

BTW, I just have to add that it's great to see Fiero's crossing a few of the bigger auction blocks and bringing respectable prices. It's been a long time coming, and it's great to see Fiero critics proved wrong about the cars collectibility.

[This message has been edited by ChopTop (edited 02-26-2017).]

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2017 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
6.5 moving to 7 as soon as it sells...

If the damn thing sells...
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2017 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least I'm getting a mix of responses. Still, most of the responses are in the second half of the cycle.

Even many of the people in the middle of the cycle are in the 70+ age bracket.

What happens when they are forced to retire from Fieros? Worse, those 70+ people have a lot of the Fiero know-how.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2017 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChopTop:

BTW, I just have to add that it's great to see Fiero's crossing a few of the bigger auction blocks and bringing respectable prices. It's been a long time coming, and it's great to see Fiero critics proved wrong about the cars collectibility.

Not sure which critics you are referring to... the Fiero from day 1 was thought to be highly collectible. That's why there are so many pristine 88s with low miles parked away waiting to be sold for high dollar. Mark Kelly's last Fiero ever was waiting to be sold for high dollar and he continued to drive it occasionally waiting for the payoff. As far as I know he's still waiting.

In other words, the Fiero did not turn out to be the instant classic people assumed, but after almost 35 years attrition is making them more scarce and prices are creeping up ever so slowly. So in other other words I don't think any critics have been proven wrong here. The cars are nowhere near as collectible as people first imagined, but like any old car good examples are getting harder to find and price is creeping up.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2017 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4/5

Just happy enough to maintain the one we have and drive it once in a while - not super serious about it much anymore. It has pretty much become a casual when I feel like it car.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2017 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

At least I'm getting a mix of responses. Still, most of the responses are in the second half of the cycle.

Even many of the people in the middle of the cycle are in the 70+ age bracket.

What happens when they are forced to retire from Fieros? Worse, those 70+ people have a lot of the Fiero know-how.

1. Your sample for this poll is too small to conclude much.
2. There are a lot of people whose age I don't know on this forum.
3. Same as any car I suppose, the know how will need to get re learned by those who need to and want to know, or found online or in books. The cars of those who leave will get sold.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2017 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to encourage more responses.

I'm more worried that the cars will get junked.
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2017 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChopTop:

Solstices (a 2006 and a 2009 (1 of 1266 coupes).

Jealous.. I'd take a coupe over a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by TommyRocker (edited 02-27-2017).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2017 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was chatting with Rob, (MinngreenGT) recently about that sort of thing. He has been around the Fiero community since the mid 90s, when there was a show as big as the 30th anniversary every year. There are many interesting cars that dropped off the map over the years. Haven't been heard of in a long time. I think the cars are either sitting in garages, maybe with a blanket an d boxes on them, or someone dirves them as a weekend fun car a few times a year but isn't involved in the Fiero community. We may do some features on the facebook site of some of these interesting cars. I could post it here to.
This site: https://www.facebook.com/midwestfieroclubs
http://midwestfieroclubs.com/
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2017 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Will never fall out of love, but I lack the space and tools and time and money to keep one of these cars alive.
Like that FieroRumor guy used to say - "Better to have owned one (or three) and lost than never to have owned one at all..."

Yeah. What ever happened to that Fiero Rumor guy anyway? He used to post all the time and was REALLY annoying!
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2017 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jason88Notchie

1693 posts
Member since Oct 2009
3, 4, 5. My Dad bought our first Fiero new in 88. Was red with the Duke. Loved that car! He gave it to me 5 years later. Drove it till around 03 till my Dad wanted a project so I gave it back. He took it apart down to the space frame and lost interest. I took it back to finish it but had to get rid of it when I moved. A couple years later my son ran across a Formula on Fiero Store . I ran up to MI and bought it. Been a happy camper ever since. I really missed driving these cars!!
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2017 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably around 3 or 4 I just got my 3800sc on the road and have had the Fiero for 2 years in March.
I'm still dealing with little issues regarding the swap so I'm no where near done yet and the car is a blast to drive!
I really think I'll have it for a long time.
Jessica
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2017 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 78_elky:

Probably around 3 or 4 I just got my 3800sc on the road and have had the Fiero for 2 years in March.
I'm still dealing with little issues regarding the swap so I'm no where near done yet and the car is a blast to drive!
Jessica

Great work on that car Jessica. I've followed your thread from the beginning and you are very talented.
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2017 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

Great work on that car Jessica. I've followed your thread from the beginning and you are very talented.

Thank you!
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2017 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 78_elky:

Jessica

It's been 2 years? I had no idea it was so long. I've followed your thread from the start, also.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2017 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2001 to 2017:
3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 5 6 6 6 4 and 3 by spring

1. Interest
2. Just getting into Fieros
3. Attend events, buy parts, build up your Fiero
4. Maintain, satisfied
5. Been there, done that
6. Lost interest
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2017 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am a pretty solid 4.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2017 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Getting too old to be crawling under cars/pulling engines but so long as it's nothing major, I'm good. If something expensive/lot of work blows up then that may change.

I did have a phase recently of wanting a Porsche. Love the Cayman but maybe slightly too small (Fiero is roomier for me LOL) . Would settle for a decent hard top 911 but then I read about the infamous IMS bearing problems which pretty much rules out anything pre 2009 in my eyes (when it was done away with) which puts the min price in the mid 30k so way too rich for my taste.
Nissan 370s look interesting and pretty cheap (compared to a Porsche anyway) but for now I'm sticking with my baby. It does not go out a lot but it's fun when it does. Right now the gear shift has gotten stiff. I'm hoping it''s just the cable. we shall see. That 4 may become a 5 (or 6 if not!).

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2017 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Even a $1k 2m4 that just keeps on running? I know a lot of those.

I have heard rumors of Fieros that "just keep on running", but I'm not fortunate enough to have gotten my hands on one. But of course as they get older, things wear out that you don't normally have to deal with.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2017 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For specifically Fiero, way past lost interest. I still like the platform if Id want another kit.
Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2017 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HorseSend a Private Message to HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had many Fieros for many years and I still enjoy them, but it is not my everyday vehicle. I still find them attractive and they are relatively rare these days.

------------------
1987 GT LS6 4T65HD/LSD
Arraut Motorsports suspension

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave