Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  1988 Fiero perspective (comparing the Fiero to other '88 cars)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
1988 Fiero perspective (comparing the Fiero to other '88 cars) by railshot
Started on: 12-16-2016 07:50 PM
Replies: 6 (489 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 12-22-2016 09:12 AM
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2016 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just cruising the internet and thought it might be fun to see what cars were like in 1988 compared to my '88 GT.
Well, I came to the sudden realization that nothing could beat the style of the Fiero!

After taking some time, and looking at how "boxy" all the cars were then, now my obsession with the Fiero makes sense.

Example #1
'88 Lincoln

Example #2
'88 Conquest
Only the Conquest TSI or Mitsubishi Starrion caught my eye back then. Even though it was nice, my heart always led me to back to a Fiero GT!
Yes, I did own one and drove it for many years, (while owning and driving an '87 Fiero GT) which led me to buying my '91 VR4 (which I miss to this day), but look where I am again..... '88 Fiero GT!+
The Starrion became the 3000GT in '91 which I immediately went out and bought.
I am still a somewhat active member on 3SI to this day, (my write up on how to change the clutch master is still viewed regularly which is why I keep the pics active on Photobucket) even though I got rid of the VR4 over 12 years ago.

The last 3000GT I owned was a Danube Blue '95...... now this one was special.
Not my car, but exactly like this except I had factory chrome rims.

Example #3
'88 Mercedes
Even my beloved Mercedes looks a bit "dated".

Example #4
'88 Corvette
Corvette. Yes, I would like one, and really thought that when I turned 60 one would magically appear in my driveway (an assumption based on the people I saw driving Corvettes doesn't the government issue them when you turn 60?....) lol.

And now, where I am at today.
My GT.
Nothing can compare!

Almost all pictures have been "borrowed" without written consent, so if anyone wants me to remove them, buy a Fiero, drive it on some nice twisty windy roads, and then contact me.

What most people do not realize is that the Fiero is not a 1/4 mile drag car, but a fun, go out and drive on the back roads car.
This is where I absolutely find it the best. If I cannot find a twisty road to take, I will go way out of my way to get there the most "fun" way I can find.
Google "hogsback Wisconsin" and you will see what I mean. We even have a "Goatman" on that road!
heheheh!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2016 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, please remove the 88 Lincoln. No, it's not mine. It's just hideous!! Damn the eyes!
I got into Fieros 2 years ago. My 85 trans am was what got my hobby of tinkering with cars really rolling, been nearly 10 years now. I chose the fiero because I felt like it was a miniature trans am and I needed something fuel efficient that I actually WANTED to own. And they were easily affordable!! Anyway, my love of Fieros has grown greatly, and fast. Have 2 already, but for the sake of this topic, the one-year only two tone blue and silver trans am (or even the formula) is still a dream car that I hope to own one day.
Borrowed this picture from thirdgen.org

Definitely one of the best offerings of '88 in my opinion! Could be had with a tuned port 305 and a digital dash. The single reason this car beats the fiero, for me, is because the interior options were plentiful as opposed to the Fiero, and the colors were cool! The fiero really took a hit from GM in this department as most 80's GM cars could be had with an interior color that matched the exterior color! My '85 buick century was light sage (green) metallic, inside and out! Not a popular car to seek out, but man was that catchy for me. Poor fiero

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2016 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The body of the GT was certainly a good look for the day. If your talking how it looks. What makes Fiero look good is the skeleton frame with no motor in the front so the fenders only have to cover the wheels. The corvette achieves the fender look with front engine.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 12-17-2016).]

railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2016 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Yes, please remove the 88 Lincoln. No, it's not mine. It's just hideous!! Damn the eyes!
I got into Fieros 2 years ago. My 85 trans am was what got my hobby of tinkering with cars really rolling, been nearly 10 years now. I chose the fiero because I felt like it was a miniature trans am and I needed something fuel efficient that I actually WANTED to own. And they were easily affordable!! Anyway, my love of Fieros has grown greatly, and fast. Have 2 already, but for the sake of this topic, the one-year only two tone blue and silver trans am (or even the formula) is still a dream car that I hope to own one day.
Borrowed this picture from thirdgen.org

Definitely one of the best offerings of '88 in my opinion! Could be had with a tuned port 305 and a digital dash. The single reason this car beats the fiero, for me, is because the interior options were plentiful as opposed to the Fiero, and the colors were cool! The fiero really took a hit from GM in this department as most 80's GM cars could be had with an interior color that matched the exterior color! My '85 buick century was light sage (green) metallic, inside and out! Not a popular car to seek out, but man was that catchy for me. Poor fiero

LOL, that Lincoln is pretty bad.
I have to admit I do like the looks of the Trans Am's from back then.
A while back I knew a girl that had a Formula, and it was actually a fairly decent car.

I would love to have 2 Fiero's right now, but sadly it is almost impossible to find any rust free "project" Fiero's with an automatic, and by rust free I mean no holes in the frames and trunks, around here... I am still looking for a Formula for myself daily.
Hey, I think everyone on this forum would love to have 2 Fiero's, and why not two '88's at that?
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the lincoln is not cool, untill you roll the window down and the little smokers window slides down first, then the big window. I always thought that was awesome for some reason.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

A friend in Jr. High really loved these back when they were new and I must admit they have grown on me over the years! I wouldn't mind having one if I could find a rust free one, then do an engine swap!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2016 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trans Ams do rock. 3 words tho...

Engine wrong spot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock