Started on: 10-25-2016 02:44 PM
Replies: 7 (270 views)
Last post by: Threedog on 10-31-2016 08:23 AM
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So next summer I am going to be tearing my Fiero GT apart(I think). I want to start the planning process and need help with a few questions.

I want a 3800SC. I currently have a 3800 that works fine and I installed myself(I did wiring and installation). I also want to throw a 3.4'' pulley on it.

Getting the 3800SC:
- I have seen tons of them around me for sale for around 250-400, but how can I trust that the engine is any good?
- Will any wiring harness from a same series 3800SC have all of the connections necessary?
- My current ECU is from a 96 Buick. Should I get a new and get that reprogrammed or just use this one?
3.4in Pulley:
I know I need a lower T-stat, headers/exhaust, and a tune.
- With the ECM tune, can I switch back to a 3.8" pulley? Or is it permanent? Can I tune it myself?
- I KNOW I am going to need to headers, but will I need a new exhaust as well? Here is a picture.

[This message has been edited by Threedog (edited 10-25-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like you would be able to use your current exhaust with stock SC manifolds, but would require some modifications if you're planning to go with headers on the SC. Headers aren't a necessity to run a 3.4 pulley though. Why would you want to switch back to a 3.8 pulley?
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you get a wet/dry compression test done on the engine that'll tell you lots about the internal condition of the engine. This can be tough if the engine has been pulled already.
Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

It looks like you would be able to use your current exhaust with stock SC manifolds, but would require some modifications if you're planning to go with headers on the SC. Headers aren't a necessity to run a 3.4 pulley though. Why would you want to switch back to a 3.8 pulley?

I have no reason that I would, I just don't like doing things that are non-reversible.

Say I send my computer out to get reprogrammed for the 3.4...but then I hook everything up and the exhaust is too restrictive. All of a sudden I am left w/o a running car(its my second car obv, but still). I know it sounds like "Have my cake and eat it too", but I just want to know my options haha.

That exhaust should be fine though, even without new headers?

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2016 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might keep an eye on local CL ads. I've had good luck finding a running car ( so you can test the engine and trans) for less than $700. There are two GTP's for sale locally right now for less than $500. Take what you need from the car, then part out any good remaining parts. When it is done, sell the remaining hulk to the local scrap yard.

------------------
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e.

Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

You might keep an eye on local CL ads. I've had good luck finding a running car ( so you can test the engine and trans) for less than $700. There are two GTP's for sale locally right now for less than $500. Take what you need from the car, then part out any good remaining parts. When it is done, sell the remaining hulk to the local scrap yard.

Any idea on what kind of miles? I am afraid to find one without 200k+ on it..

I guess, where should the cutoff be?
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3.8s are very reliable engines. If you choose to get one and rebuild it, it is usually recommended not to touch the bottom end... A running car is always the best bet.

Personally I wouldn't touch anything over 150K... However, they have been known to run well into the 200k+ miles. The transmissions usually go before the engine does.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know how substantial the power difference is between a 3.4 pully and 3.8 in a Fiero?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock