Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Looking at getting an 88 Fiero Formula I found on CL, thoughts?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Looking at getting an 88 Fiero Formula I found on CL, thoughts? by arbartz
Started on: 10-17-2016 10:41 AM
Replies: 8 (301 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 10-21-2016 08:53 AM
arbartz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arbartzClick Here to visit arbartz's HomePageSend a Private Message to arbartzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone,

So last night I decided to quick browse Craigslist, because why not? Well, I ended up coming across this 88 Fiero Formula. From the photos it looks pretty good, and the price seems reasonable (I could be wrong though), so I was thinking that it might be a good buy.

I've always wanted to buy a Fiero, but never came across one that seemed like a good deal and was in decent shape until this one. So before I go up and take a look at it in person, I wanted to get your opinions on it. Things like, how big of a deal the rust is (I do plan on building this car, so some rework isn't out of the question) and how much you would pay for it.

Also, as a side note, are there any good "tall person" mods that can be done? I'm 6'5", and while I have driven a Fiero in the past, it was a bit tight, so before I do pull the trigger on this, I want to make sure I can actually make it reasonable.

Thanks for the help!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty crappy that he wont sell you the wheels that actually came with the car. Typical rust in trunk and cradle....yikes. May be worth taking a look. But don't get your hopes up.
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

Pretty crappy that he wont sell you the wheels that actually came with the car. Typical rust in trunk and cradle....yikes. May be worth taking a look. But don't get your hopes up.

I agree with the above.
Here are a couple that I would investigate before buying anything with major rust.......

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/074618.html

and if you do not want an automatic, here is a 5 speed that needs to be brought back to life and is a terrific deal.....

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/074523.html

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

I agree with the above.
Here are a couple that I would investigate before buying anything with major rust.......

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/074618.html

and if you do not want an automatic, here is a 5 speed that needs to be brought back to life and is a terrific deal.....

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/074523.html

The first one looks like a pretty sweet deal. And dropped price to 1300. Seems a motivated seller. But again. The more obvious spots that rust are the trunk and cradle. If its bad in those spots watch out! It's been said many many times here. These cars hide rust very well.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 10-17-2016).]

arbartz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arbartzClick Here to visit arbartz's HomePageSend a Private Message to arbartzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for the input. So from what I'm hearing, it's probably not worth getting the Fiero that I linked.

That one for $1300 looks very temping, only problem is that auto trans... It's probably going to be about a year yet before I can start my build, and I'd like to be able to occasionally drive it and have some fun in the meantime.

The next one, for $1000, looks to be a decent deal, but I'm a bit worried with how long he's said it sat. Plus, La Cross is a bit more of a drive from where I am than I'd like to make right now.

Thanks again for the input!
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It can't hurt to take a look at that car from CL. BUT...the guy don't even want to sell the rims that actually came with the car. Seems kinda dickish and cheap to me. He's going to send you out on a set of 14" rims and call it a sale? Really? Wheels come with the car. Period. And the rust issue to boot. He may be trying to be up forward with that considering most Fiero people that know ANYTHING will go there first. Like I said. Check it out. If there are ANY holes in those areas, then no deal. It's a parts car.
arbartz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arbartzClick Here to visit arbartz's HomePageSend a Private Message to arbartzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I will be driving up there on Friday afternoon to check it out. I asked him about the wheels and his answer: "Long story with the wheels, I can explain on Friday. If you want the wheels with the car we can negotiate that."

I guess we'll see...

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by arbartz:
Also, as a side note, are there any good "tall person" mods that can be done? I'm 6'5", and while I have driven a Fiero in the past, it was a bit tight, so before I do pull the trigger on this, I want to make sure I can actually make it reasonable.

Thanks for the help!

Some people have removed the seat rails, but then your seat is always stationary.
Some people take their shoes off. I actually do that on long trips its nice. I'm only 6'2.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock