No lights on stereo by andreww
Started on: 10-13-2016 08:39 AM
Replies: 10 (214 views)
Last post by: darbysan on 10-14-2016 01:40 PM
andreww

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just put a new stereo in my 84 Notchie as the original was falling apart. This is the one I got at the wrecker:

Problem is that there are absolutely no lights working at all. From what I can tell, there are about 10 bulbs in this thing, could all of them be dead? The display on the previous stereo was flakey as well and would only come on once in a blue moon. BTW, I used the common adapter kit to install, so no splicing was done. Oh, and the reason for the cassette is that it allows me to use a cassette/Aux cord gizmo so I can play MP3s.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you may not be getting enough juice for the lights. Are you sure you got the right adapter?? what are you driving? I'm in TO as well
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If radio wiring and dash dimming is good... (GM radios uses dash dimmer when Parking light are on.)

Only 1-2 bulbs and often blown.
You have to take apart the radio to fix them.
use Google and YT

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

you may not be getting enough juice for the lights. Are you sure you got the right adapter?? what are you driving? I'm in TO as well

Adapter is right. Everything works perfect but the lights and display. And I drive a white 84 2M4 that I have owned since 1985.

[This message has been edited by andreww (edited 10-13-2016).]

andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

andreww

240 posts
Member since Sep 2011

Originally posted by theogre:

If radio wiring and dash dimming is good... (GM radios uses dash dimmer when Parking light are on.)

Only 1-2 bulbs and often blown.
You have to take apart the radio to fix them.
use Google and YT

Im wondering if there is an issue with my dimmer or the dimmer wire? I would expect at least one light to be working in this thing! To be honest I haven't driven the car at night in many years.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by andreww:

Im wondering if there is an issue with my dimmer or the dimmer wire?

Does the dimmer work with your dash lights?
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Does the dimmer work with your dash lights?

I'll double check tonight
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I confirmed last night that the face lights do in fact work, its just the display that is dark. So the question is what type of bulb this takes? Is it the single twist in light or the three lights soldered to the board?

[This message has been edited by andreww (edited 10-14-2016).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bulb for the CD player version of that head unit is

They carried them at GM dealers 10 years ago, they may still?

P/N 16208443

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089227.html
Fiero Tom

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These links may be of some use to you, on repairing the lights in GM radios

http://www.automotiveforums...e_radio_display.html

Replacement bulbs:

http://www.corvetteradios.c...rvetteradios_013.htm

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors