Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Has anyone used this parking brake (Wilwood MC4 mechanical)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Has anyone used this parking brake (Wilwood MC4 mechanical) by Napoleon_Tanerite
Started on: 07-24-2016 08:43 PM
Replies: 4 (1316 views)
Last post by: zmcdonal on 08-02-2016 05:05 PM
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The parking brake as designed for our cars SUCKS. I recently upgraded my brakes to larger rotors paired with 88 calipers all around. The parking brake on the 88 system is extra junk. My 87 calipers were tolerable (because at least they worked) but my 88s do not. And before you go throwing a bunch of links my way, YES I have reviewed the article on Ogre's cave, YES I have searched and read MANY threads on how to adjust the calipers. YES I have followed EVERY guide I've seen to the letter, including contradicting information. NO, none of them have worked. My parking brake still doesn't work, it's still junk.

So that leads me to researching alternatives. What I think I'm going to do is put a pair of 88 front calipers in the rear. Obviously this deletes the parking brake so I need an alternative. I'm looking at the Wilwood MC4 or similar mechanical parking brake. Link

https://www.summitracing.co...0-12069-bk/overview/

The idea is I would put the Wilwood caliper on its own custom built bracket. I have already deleted the dust guards from behind the rotors, so I'm thinking I will use those mounting points (or somewhere else on the knuckle). This would position the brake where it needs to be, and if I need to put an extension cable on the OE cable that's no problem.

So here are my questions
1. Has anyone used a system like this-- thoughts?
2. Should I put a parking brake on BOTH rear wheels, or is one sufficient? I don't have a problem spending the extra money if necessary, but if it's absolutely unnecessary I won't spend it.
3. If I go with one wheel, does it matter which one? The obvious choice would be the LR as it's closest to the handle, and I could delete the majority of brake cabling and just run a straight shot to the left.
4. Unknowns-- what do I need to know about this job that I don't already know?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I have.
Not impressed with the design.
Replace your rear calipers with Fiero rear calipers.
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Putting only one parking brake sounds like a half-arsed job... probably wouldn't pass state inspection if you have that sort of thing.

For that matter, I usually just leave my Fiero in gear, without parking brakes.

I wonder why the Summit page has a mention of an NPT fitting; that is confusing.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2016 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Yes I have.
Not impressed with the design.
Replace your rear calipers with Fiero rear calipers.

Troublesome as they can be, the Fiero rear calipers seem to offer the best choice. I dislike them as well but if your brakes fail, it always pays to have some kind of backup system

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The biggest question I have for your new setup is what end result are you looking for? Are you just trying to pass like a state inspection? Or do you want an actual functional parking brake/E-brake setup?

What year is your Fiero?
From what I have read the Willwood spot calipers are kind of a joke and really only belong on something like a go-kart. I did a little research on them myself. Here is a quote from a thread where someone installed them along with a set of Brembo's in the rear:

Just remember that while the Brembos are the best caliper out there for our cars (in my opinion), you will not get a real ebrake with the Willwood spot caliper that some of us are using - it is worthless, but may satisfy some state laws.

Here is a link to the thread where I read that //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-110051.html

That being said, if you really want to go with the spot caliper setup, maybe we could work a deal. When I bought my 3800 swapped car, among the pile of parts inside the car was a box with 4 of those Willwood spot calipers as well as custom brackets that I believe were part of the 12" Willwood setup that was available for Fieros.
Here is a pic of what I have:

Here is a pic I found online of a complete Rear Willwood setup for the Fiero that has the same brackets that I have.

I believe these brackets are designed to work with 12" Willwood rotor, but may be a good start for what you would need.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock