Welcome to Canada Captain by Quad GT
Started on: 06-12-2016 11:31 AM
Replies: 8 (581 views)
Last post by: Quad GT on 06-29-2016 04:49 PM
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2016 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So recently I purchased a '86 Fiero SE 3800 SC that belonged to Curry Obenshain, Jr, President and Founder of Fiero Owners Club of South East Virginia
His sister Tina was very gracious in selling me that car. As some of you know Curry passed away and she wanted the car to go to a good home and Fiero enthusiast.
Im going to need a bigger garage as Fiero #4 has entered the stable lol

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2016 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another one disappears into Canada?

I'm glad you could save this one. I know it's in good hands.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2016 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't know that Curry had past. During the mid 90's he was once a prominent name and a great cheerleader in the Fiero hobby. Now that you are taking that Fiero North you might have to change the name. A guy in the Vancouver area goes by the name of Captain Fiero. He was the guy with the modified 4.9L that always seem to malfunction. Last I heard he was either selling or going SBC.
Good luck with the car. You'll like the 3800SC performance but just don't go too small on the pulley

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2016 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to take her for a spin but I'm having issues starting her up
I think it's the fuel pump

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/138178.html

I'm trying to find the relay so far no luck

Any ideas?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad GT:

Can't wait to take her for a spin but I'm having issues starting her up
I think it's the fuel pump

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/138178.html

I'm trying to find the relay so far no luck

Any ideas?

On a 3800 swap it is likely that the original fuel pump was replaced but maybe not.
Determine if there is fuel pressure at the schrader valve fitting on the rail as you attempt to start the car. Should be at least 35-43 lbs. No pressure then its the fuel pump, fuel pump relay or an electrical connection. You obviously need a fuel pressure gauge to do this but the threads on the valve are the same as on old R-12 A/C equipment gauges..
If the engine sat for a long time and was not started it is also possible that the fuel injectors are clogged.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sat for about a year

I'm getting a fuel gauge this afternoon
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2016 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm honestly not sure who got the nick first, he or I, but yes we talked online a few times. He always went by Captain Fiero, I have always been Capt Fiero.

As to my 4.9 yes it was great until I went down the rabbit hole of mods. Now its blowed up, stripped out, and an over the top swap is in progress.
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2016 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

On a 3800 swap it is likely that the original fuel pump was replaced but maybe not.
Determine if there is fuel pressure at the schrader valve fitting on the rail as you attempt to start the car. Should be at least 35-43 lbs. No pressure then its the fuel pump, fuel pump relay or an electrical connection. You obviously need a fuel pressure gauge to do this but the threads on the valve are the same as on old R-12 A/C equipment gauges..
If the engine sat for a long time and was not started it is also possible that the fuel injectors are clogged.

So finally got some spare time to work on the Fiero
Have 0 pressure on the fuel rail

Looks like I need a new fuel pump

Any suggestions as to what make and brand? The fuel filter is a stock ''86 one so im thinking that maybe the stock Fiero pump was used.

Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2016 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replaced the fuel pump and problem solved
Started right

Next is to figure out why it's overheating

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock