Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Well, it begins again today, picked up my '88 GT! "Calizonia" (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Well, it begins again today, picked up my '88 GT! "Calizonia" by railshot
Started on: 05-18-2016 06:44 PM
Replies: 194 (5174 views)
Last post by: railshot on 07-13-2017 09:11 PM
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2017 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Not necessarily OEM parts. I justmissed out on the TFS Y-pipe. Then there were the TFS and paulv glove boxes. There were several iterations of the dew wipes. How about clear front parking light covers? Remember the flushmount headlights Kris made? How abour the aluminum fuel tanks? The list goes on and on. I think BTR is getting rid of their LED rear lighting.

And the proportional brake valve.

Door weatherstrips? Steering rack bushings?

I just saw a post about coolant tube clamps. Apparently, GM never sold them separately.

Very true tshark,
I keep forgetting about the special production items, as I am more of a purist when it comes to my cars.
So many things have been lost and are now irreplaceable that a lot of people are now regretting not buying when they were around.

Hopefully a new generation of Fiero enthusiasts is on the horizon and will be willing to step up to the plate with today's technologies to make what they want.
It is not impossible that is what is coming, but we need to make a better argument for the Fiero for them to be on the front page and wanted.

I am longing myself for a high quality scanner and 3D printer.
Scan a part, modify it to your liking and print it!
"Buck Rogers" thinking!.... lol, not many people will get that one.
What a fun time that would be!

I have been waiting for a good time to post this again, so here it is!
Plazma Fiero!

I know I said I was a "purist" but this car has haunted me since the first minute I saw it.
I even "stalk" it once a year or so to find out where it is.
Last I heard the creators relatives had it in Florida.
The only change I would make would be to tone down the rear wing.
Modified Fiero's can be a thing of beauty and elegance like I like.

Talk about modified!

Edit: Either I am the only one posting here, or I have been lucky enough to own every pages first post!

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 03-29-2017).]

IP: Logged
Lilcargal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LilcargalSend a Private Message to LilcargalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Railshot, you've spent some time in my neck of the woods. Lost your bowling ball in "84?!! Perhaps a couple too many " refreshments"? Myra Lanes has changed hands, seems to be focusing more on food now, but they still have a few bowling lanes running. The boneyard is just south of hubby's family farm. If you ever lived in the area, y'all might know each other. Kinda funny. I am loving the Formula! Only driven it a handfull of times so far, but it is WAYYYY more fun than my usual mini van! Still doing the " mom thing" homeschooling two high school students. ( I must be nuts!) On warm, calm summer days my preferred mode of transport is my little Honda Rebel. I'm quite short and my puny bike fits me just right....so does my little car ( with a pedal block on the clutch...ha ha). I hope to last several years without any major problems on the formula. I lack the skills to do much on her myself. The last car I wrenched on was a '73 charger back in the late '80s, and that was just basic stuff. Hubby has a cousin who is a GM mechanic who used to work on fieros back in the day. He will probably be the one doing anything major. Hubby and son can are pretty capable, they just replaced the clutch in the kid's ranger, but farming really cuts into the time available for recreational wrenching.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree about the wing. I'm not a fan of the ricer look.

My car is modiffied, but I think they're improvements. Nothing glaring.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lilcargal:

Railshot, you've spent some time in my neck of the woods. Lost your bowling ball in "84?!! Perhaps a couple too many " refreshments"? Myra Lanes has changed hands, seems to be focusing more on food now, but they still have a few bowling lanes running. The boneyard is just south of hubby's family farm. If you ever lived in the area, y'all might know each other. Kinda funny. I am loving the Formula! Only driven it a handfull of times so far, but it is WAYYYY more fun than my usual mini van! Still doing the " mom thing" homeschooling two high school students. ( I must be nuts!) On warm, calm summer days my preferred mode of transport is my little Honda Rebel. I'm quite short and my puny bike fits me just right....so does my little car ( with a pedal block on the clutch...ha ha). I hope to last several years without any major problems on the formula. I lack the skills to do much on her myself. The last car I wrenched on was a '73 charger back in the late '80s, and that was just basic stuff. Hubby has a cousin who is a GM mechanic who used to work on fieros back in the day. He will probably be the one doing anything major. Hubby and son can are pretty capable, they just replaced the clutch in the kid's ranger, but farming really cuts into the time available for recreational wrenching.

Yup, lived in Palmyra for a few years.
I was a supervisor at Polymer Technologies in Whitewater between '84 and '90.
Drove my first Fiero I ever owned to work there.... that brings back memories for me!

And, guilty as charged!
A few too many beverages one night, and for the life of me I could never find my bowling ball again.....!
Knowing me, I probably gave it to someone that liked it. LOL

Glad you are liking the Formula!
Hmm, a GM mechanic that you think will actually work on a Fiero?
I need to meet him.... and ask him when he lost his sanity....

My grandparents were dairy farmers in central Wisconsin for all of their lives, so I basically grew up on a farm myself.
Really miss those days, but I tell you this, to be a dairy farmer you have to be dedicated.
Probably why I still wake up when the sun is still down, and go to sleep before it sets.
Farming is 24 / 7.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a fuel line that goes from the filler to the tank. Probably a good idea to check on it.
Lilcargal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2017 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LilcargalSend a Private Message to LilcargalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. Now I have a " grocery list" of parts to keep an eye out for. It is good to know what is hard to find and what to look for. I don't think I am looking to do any mods on my formula, just hope to keep her running for a long time. Maybe my son can join me on a couple of junkyard walks...we'll call it a field trip for his "shop' class.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2017 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to our obsession.

As a long time owner of 88s, may I suggest that you acquire a pair of front wheel bearings. (If they include the pair of front knuckles, it's okay. Not necessary, but okay.)
Also a set of brake calipers. Calipersonline has NOS 88 front calipers. (They appear to be jerking someone around on rebuilt rear calipers, however. I'll post an update if/when he gets them.)
Maybe a steering rack. All 88 steering racks are the same, so the donor doesn't matter.
You might want to acquire a set of rear knuckles. They are fairly plentiful now, but nothing else uses them.

There are bushings, shocks and struts still available from the aftermarket. Just got through rebuilding a complete suspension.

The dot matrix interior trim is "88 specific" if that's "a thing". (I replaced all of mine with silver, in one of my cars.)

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-01-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2017 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lilcargal:

Thanks guys. Now I have a " grocery list" of parts to keep an eye out for. It is good to know what is hard to find and what to look for. I don't think I am looking to do any mods on my formula, just hope to keep her running for a long time. Maybe my son can join me on a couple of junkyard walks...we'll call it a field trip for his "shop' class.

Be sure to let us know if you do find anything on your "field trip"!
That would be a fun learning experience for anyone.

There are a few odds and ends I am still looking for as far as my T-top GT.
Just a couple of interior parts, rear speaker B pillar cover for my passenger side (someone thought that rear speaker cover popped off on mine, they do not, and break when you try to remove them by prying on them ), and they are a bit large for me to buy in the mall and have shipped to me.

Also watch for early Grand Am radios with a CD player.
They go in fairly easy with an adapter plug and are pretty cheap now at the yards.
Monsoon is the ultimate to fit in as they have the ability to connect a cd changer and control it....... although I have no idea where I would mount that in these little buggers. lol
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2017 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:
Monsoon is the ultimate to fit in as they have the ability to connect a cd changer and control it....... although I have no idea where I would mount that in these little buggers. lol

They ones with the CD changer controller (i.e., Monsoon) also support an iPod adapter harness. Allows the head unit to control and charge the iPod.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-01-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2017 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

They ones with the CD changer controller (i.e., Monsoon) also support an iPod adapter harness. Allows the head unit to control and charge the iPod.

Good options to have Raydar, I like, no love mine now that it is in!

Very nice day out today, 58 degrees, and for the first time since I have had the T-tops I actually appreciated them.
Sunny and 58 is just about right for a T-top, because I did not really need the heater or A/C today on my 50 mile "wake up it is spring" drive.
The T-top shades I got from Russ will sure be a welcome addition come hotter weather.
Too nice to not drive it, but not quite nice enough to work on the interior stuff I want and will do.

Still loving the Fiero ride and the looks it got today were worth every bit of "stressing" I have had so far.
Just not that many on the road anymore, and so many people do not recognize it anymore.

More than 1 thumbs up today...... awww, that really feels good!
Can't wait to meet all the Fiero guys at the Dells in June.
I will be there with at least the T-tops,...... maybe another?

Can't wait to get #2 soon.... yup, another '88 GT with no sunroof or T-tops is on it's way before the end of April from a fellow member here..
Someone that is really into them more than I thought I was, and a very decent example that "needs me"...

I am actually getting this one for my wife, who in the last 2 years has gone through chemo and radiation for breast cancer and is now cancer free!
She will be one of those "cool" "grandma's" that deserves it now that the first grandbaby is in town and recognizes people and things!
A bit of a celebration for her recovery...... ok, if she does not like it, I will. ....

Sleeping in the garage with 2 Fiero's aint all that bad is it?
lol......

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 04-01-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just another "dear diary" post:

Had to go in to work this afternoon to do some "magic", and decided to take the GT.
60 mile round trip, and not one issue after the long winters nap.

Just was looking out the kitchen window and decided that the driveway looks oh so much nicer again!

In a couple of weeks it is going to look twice as good.... ????
Just waiting for a "special delivery".

(really need to start hiding the old P/T cruiser more, it does not add to the beauty in this shot at all).... lol
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am actually getting this one for my wife, who in the last 2 years has gone through chemo and radiation for breast cancer and is now cancer free!

I am happy for you both. That's great!
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I am happy for you both. That's great!

Thanks Raydar, it was a rather stressful 2 years, but she made it through the chemo and radiation with a positive outcome.
Cancer, any kind of cancer is horrible to deal with because it is such a nasty treatment right now.

She is either going to love me for getting her a Fiero, or...... make me sleep in the garage with it... heheheh
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm happy for you and your wife with the positive outcome.

She is either going to love me for getting her a Fiero, or...... make me sleep in the garage with it... heheheh

You write that as if it's a bad thing.

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2017 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm happy for you and your wife with the positive outcome.

You write that as if it's a bad thing.

Thanks tshark, she is doing well!
It was a scary time in the beginning to say the least.
You always prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
I got the best!

Not a "bad" thing sleeping with the Fiero's tshark, lol, it might be just a little less, shall we say, comfortable. lol
Concrete is still cold out there in the garage, and I actually have tried to sleep inside a Fiero a long, long, time ago.... funny how the reclining seats will only recline a little bit! (stupid firewall lol)....

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 04-11-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I decided to begin to polish the one "PON" GT lens I bought quite a while ago that needed some small scratches removed to be as nice as the "TIAC "one I also bought., and here is some advice to anyone that is going to do this....

Do not try this while it is sitting in your lap!
LOL, this will be so much easier to do when mounted on the car.....

Started out in the basement with my little microfiber towel and some Flitz polish, after taking it apart and washing it to remove the 28+ years of dust on the inside along with the dead spider that had called it home.

After an hour or so of rubbing, and rubbing, and rubbing, and then rubbing some more, I finally had an area about 1" x 1" just above the "N" in PON to the point where I thought it might be acceptable.
I then decided to get the orbital buffer out, go outside to the deck, plug everything in, get a new polishing bonnet for the buffer, and have at it.

Needless to say this is quite an awkward way to polish anything (with it setting in your lap), but I kept at it for another 1/2 hour or so.
Then the wife pulls in (she was out for a mammogram which came back perfect!) and started to laugh at me.

Polish all over me, the deck, and even the nosy cat that was helping me. lol

So, I have decided to discontinue my polishing until this is mounted on the car.
Get myself a chair, a few beers, a ball polisher for the drill and make it look like new!

Just some "experienced" advice.
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2017 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, love to share the "experience", and polishing the lenses can be easy if you think smart.

So, I have been driving the GT quite a bit these past few days, and have all the confidence in the world with it now.
Starting (check), moving (check) stopping (check), cornering (check), acceleration (check), cool factor (check.... lol, thumbs up from even 18 wheelers).

Hmmmm, I must be driving it a bit harder than I did last summer, as my mileage has slipped a bit to between 24 to 28 mpg from 30 mpg.
LOL, now who can complain about that?

I have my T-top shades in, and they really do make a difference so far.
Sunday I took a 100 mile trip in it, it was in the mid 70's, and I did not need the a/c at all.
Nice!

Last summer I was grumpy as heck with anything over 70 degrees.
I can highly recommend getting some shades from Russ if you have a T-top!
They fit very nicely in the gaps on the gaskets of my uber rare 1988 non-cjb seals..... and actually cut down a bit on the noises by lifting the sealing surface just a bit!
Another thing he should add to his site!
Noise reduction!

Stay tuned as I am going to be starting a new post next week hopefully..... "And then there were two" soon.... really looking forward to this one.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I really do love a Fiero for what it was meant to be.... a good running, cornering, 140 horse power road car.
Not a drag strip hero, not a high end 220 mph car, but just a well thought out and designed road car.
So many think of our little buggers as economy cars, but they were not intended to be that at all, they are so much more.

There are a few roads around here that I have driven with many a car..... and I still get the biggest bang out of my Fiero's.
Those include '91 Mitsubishi VR4 (awd, aws), '06 Mustang GT, .71 Challenger, '63 TR4-A, '69 Triumph GT6, etc.... yes, I like Triumphs almost as much as my Fiero's!
I actually had 10 Triumphs at one time in various stages of "recovery",,,

There is just something much more comfortable about an '88 GT or Formula that none of those had.

Not looking to drag race anyone, and certainly not looking to go for highest top end (where can you really do either of those legally), but just for the joy of the drive.
Treat it right and it will get you there and back without any complaints, and thank you the next day.

Enjoy your Fiero, drive the heck out of it, and make it smile while you do.

Yes, I am a huge Fiero fan, and I am getting a little "sillyphosical" tonight, but you know what...... I truly do love these "little buggers".
Do your best to present them in the best light possible as I would truly hate to see a "classic" like these continue to be unnoticed.

Go to as many car "shows" as you can, answer as many questions as you can at the gas pump, and just smile.... because I can almost promise there is not another one like yours within 100 miles.
Step back from your latest "problem" issue, or upgrade and take a serious look at what you have in front of you, that is yours to do with what you like.... I just did, and you know what, I like what I see.

railshot

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 04-17-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, over 2 weeks since I posted anything here!
I guess the new GT has distracted me a bit, but .......

Today I drove the T-top to work and at lunch I was sitting in it and noticed something.....

I really love the T-top shades I got from Russ!

Very high quality, installation is easier than ..... well, you just place them in and put the tops on.
I purposely bought a darker shade than the headliner as an accent, and man, they do look nice and match the latches, A and B pillar perfectly!

Just a quick plug for Russ, and update for the T-top.

http://rwupholstery.com/main.html?src=%2F#2,0

LOL, after driving the new to me '88 yesterday, and today driving the T-top to work, this weekend is going to be dedicated to replacing the exhaust on the T-top.
I so love the exhaust note of an original V6 Fiero....

I may have to take it in to a shop near me that specializes in exhausts, because, dummy me could not fit the replacement in the back of the ole HHR and cut it in a straight section between the cat and the muffler.
My stainless welding skills are just not good enough anymore.

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 05-28-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2017 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierostore and Rodeny really do care.....!

Last night I placed two seperate orders with the Fierostore, and really did not think about the shipping cost of each one from the other.
This morning, I received an actual human phone call from the fiero store, telling me I was actually spending too much for shipping by ups 3 day seperately.
Wow... now that was the most customer service related thing I have had happen to me in a very, very, long time.

I talked for just a brief time (I was in the middle of a production meeting) and was told I could save a significant amount if I would just combine the orders and ship via usps vs ups 3 day.
I will get what I ordered in the same time frame, and..... save a few (20) bucks.

How often has this happened to anyone!????

Also, I ordered a new EGR tube from Rodney last night.
Guess what...... I ordered an '87 tube, and not an '88.
He does pay attention to the forum here, and questioned if my order was correct or not as he knew I only had 2 (lol, only 2) '88' GTs!

Rodney and TheFieroStore, you are the best, and please keep the supplies for our little gems coming!

If it was not for the Fierostore and Rodney, I would really not know where to go for a lot of the stuff I am going to want and need.

I have to say this.... our vendors, and this forum, are the absolute best I have ever dealt with, and please everyone, support them as much as you can.
I know I will be.

Fierostore, Rodney, and of course Cliff......
My hat is off to all of you!

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 05-03-2017).]

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
PFF
System Bot
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2017 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had a moment or two to really think about this, and I am truly honored to own and care for two '88 GT's.

The T-top has been my curse, my inspiration, and my spiritual awakening.
Do a search for '88 Fiero GT T-tops, and there is not much out there to be had or find, either CJB or the uber rare non-CJB.
So, with that in mind I shall continue.

I have been a fan of the Fiero since it was born in 1984, and having been involved with injection molding since 1977 this car caught my eye immediately, and I have followed it all the way through it's untimely demise as any fan of a car would.
I have now owned one of every year made, a couple of a few years, and each one has been a special vehicle.

Today I had some well deserved time to actually sit back and ponder what I am involved in, and here are my thoughts.......

To me this is more than just a car, it is a memory of times past with a really outstanding design that could easily stand up to any car built currently.
I do love the Pontiac Solstice, and Saturn Sky, and will have one some day soon, but the Fiero is "comfortable" to me right now.

I understand now why those "old guys" loved the '55 to '57 Chevrolets when I was younger.
It is a memory, of a time of good cruising and fun, and this is what a Fiero brings to me.

The T-top is something I thought I would never want or have, but it found me, and I am going to make it happy!

Some people will never understand what it is like to be a "caretaker" of a vehicle, but it is a true responsibility to do so.
Whenever I take a look at the driveway I am amazed at what I see out there, and I am humbled by the opportunity of making / keeping these two gems.

Being the purist that I am, the next few years will be dedicated to making each of these vehicles the best I can.
I cannot look forward to my retirement more than I am now!

My plan is to restore the cars to as close to original as I can as far as mechanics can be.
OEM is a priority, but as we all know, there is not much left out there.

Then, I am going to teach myself to paint.
Not one of the things I relish, but to be able to recreate the original finishes is something I really think I need to do myself.
I am prepared to learn, invest, and work to obtain all of this.

I read as much as I can on the forum, and just cannot trust someone else to be as OCD as I am about anything related to my two '88's!

The best part is, I am finally having fun, and to be honest, I can think of nothing else I would enjoy retiring with as much as my Fieros!

Yeah, I have rambled a bit here, but hey..... turn the page if you don't know what I mean.
If you do know what I mean, keep an eye out on my posts, it is about to get interesting...... soon......

Dave
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2017 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well said.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2017 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up the T-top from the exhaust place today and my rattle / buzz is gone!
The baffles in the muffler had broken down and were pretty much doing nothing but making odd annoying noises that changed as the exhaust temp changed..
Imagine that after only almost 200,000 miles.

Once again what I bought was not what I thought and was told it was.
This exhaust was not from an '88, had the manifold flange welded at a 90 degree angle from my flange, and could not be used completely.
They used the original cat and down pipe but had to adapt it to the new / used muffler...... when will I learn?

This is great that the buzz / rattle is gone, but I am still not satisfied with the exhaust note, and those beautiful tips are all cockeyed.
I am going to install a new cat from Rodney soon to see if that brings it down a bit to like the other '88 and put my old tips back on.

If the note does not change, I am going to start thinking about replacing the whole durn thing.... lol
Yes, the sound is that important to me.

I may even go with the fiero store ocelot system this summer.
I still love the sound of the original exhaust, and mine is probably similar to the Ocelot system right now or louder.

I asked the shop what it would cost to duplicate the system from the factory, and the guy looked at me like I was nuts or something.
Now these guys are custom exhaust builders, so I do believe we are getting more and more limited as to exhaust options lately.

At one time I could go anywhere and pick up a complete exhaust from the cat back.
Now....... only crickets..... and to find an '88 exhaust is like seeing a UFO!
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2017 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Growing up, there was a shop down the road that did exhaust, along with everything else except paint and body work. They stocked only straight pipes. The exhaust was done by the owner's teenage son. I first remember the kid looking at the exhaust, then cutting and bending the pipes by hand. Later, he had a book to see what the proper cuts were, and he used a motorized aid to cut and bend. Later still, he was in his late 20's, and he mostly just punched codes into the machine, and it did all the work.

In the city, now, the idea of bending pipes is completely foreign. The ”custom muffler” shops can do some welding, but they can't weld a Y-pipe.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2017 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Growing up, there was a shop down the road that did exhaust, along with everything else except paint and body work. They stocked only straight pipes. The exhaust was done by the owner's teenage son. I first remember the kid looking at the exhaust, then cutting and bending the pipes by hand. Later, he had a book to see what the proper cuts were, and he used a motorized aid to cut and bend. Later still, he was in his late 20's, and he mostly just punched codes into the machine, and it did all the work.

In the city, now, the idea of bending pipes is completely foreign. The ”custom muffler” shops can do some welding, but they can't weld a Y-pipe.

Once again on the money tshark.

Exhaust bending is a long forgotten art and back in the mid '70's I remember taking a 69 AMX I owned to a shop, and they did it all by eye and hand.
Totally impressed by this as that is the first time I really paid attention to any exhausts and they literally made it so well, you could not tell it from factory.

Edit: 5/13/2017 to add picture of the actual '69 AMX!
Forgot I even had this. LOL, we did not have digital back then, picture taken in 1972, so this is a scan of a Polaroid so a bit grainy.

Baby sister sitting on the ground, and my old girlfriend seated nicely on my dads wagon.
That blue roof behind my AMX is a '67 Camaro my sisters boyfriend at the time was driving.....
lol, just cars back then. If we only knew what the future was going to be like.
This really brought back some memories for me.

I am sure some old school guys are still out there, I just have to find me one around here.
As automated as things have become, the data for the bends and everything must still be available somewhere......
oh no, another quest for me! heheheh

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 05-13-2017).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2017 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Watching a good pipe bender should be a must-see thing. That kid would probably be a grandpa, by now. It wasn't a rare skill, back then, although not everyone could do it, much less a perfect job.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just another "dear diary" post.

Took the T-top out today for a ride, and of course the a/c was not working, so I decided to stop in and buy some of that A/C pro stuff to see what would happen.
It took almost the whole can, but I'll be danged, it started to function again!

Looks like I need just a bit more to get the pressure to where it should be, it no longer is cycling off and on, so tomorrow I will get meself another can of the stuff to see what will happen.

I know, this is not a fix for it, but I was curious and just had to try it out.... I will be getting new switches and seals soon, then take it in to have it evacuated and recharged... I promise!

Also I have my original GT exhaust tips ready to go back on the replacement muffler (lol, the ones on it must were bent and damaged when the car it is from rolled because they look like this from the back......

Just need to cut the ones off, dremel the leftovers out from inside the muffler pipe,, re-expand the pipe a bit, and slide them in!
Crap, need to buy myself an exhaust pipe expander now.....
Next weekend is looking good for getting this done!

In addition to all of this I have discovered the source for my "ultra rare non-CJB" T-top leak and have a fix in mind for it!

The seal on the outside top of the window where the T-top meets the window was cracked with age.
I mean cracked the complete length from the front to the back!
Just for the heck of it I decided to "install" some plastic electrical tape over the crack.

It actually looks pretty good and stock this way if I would have been a little more careful in the application.

It rained like 24 hours straight earlier this week, and I had it parked outside for the event.

Friday when I took it to the muffler shop I did not even realize it until about 10 miles into the drive, I was dry!

1st step is going to be trying some of that new fangled stop leak tape I see advertised with the guy cutting the boat in 1/2 and taping it back together then going for a cruise in it in the rain....

2nd step, if that does not work, is pouring some of the same stuff inside only liquid, the cracked area (this seal is hollow) and filling it up.
First I need to identify what durometer it is..... I have read it is a 70, so should still be plenty pliable.

3rd step is.... break down and buy some new seals for that area. ..... I know, this should be step 1, but I love to experiment. heheheh

One more thing, I finally dragged the new floormats out and put them in.

Quite the moment seeing the whole floor covered finally, along with the T-top bags warming up for the good weather ahead!

Would have gotten more done today, but the yard work was calling me.
Until next time!
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2017 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did some data logging today with my cell phone, lol, it did not save it..... figures.
Tomorrow I plan on taking it to work, and will log everything from home to work and back again with the tablet.
The tablet does a great job, never tried the phone before, but the instant data looked good to me as I was driving.

This thing runs so nice I do not expect to see anything out of the ordinary, but would just like to know.

Wife talked to me again today, and now she wants me to keep both GT's, (women), but if someone does want the T-top, I will sell.
Not changing any other posts other than documenting it here for future reference.

Looking forward to the Dells in two weeks, and I think the T-top is the way to go!
Weather forecast says rain on the 3rd, so for sure the T-top is the one to take...... bet we take the tops out on the trip!
You know how accurate they are 2 weeks out.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well dear diary.....

Today was the perfect day to go for a cruise with the T-tops out!
Hit near 80 degrees, a very mild breeze, and mostly sunny.
110 miles later I am thinking I am a fool to sell this one, or either of them to be honest.

Starts right up, rides great, and gives me a big grin when I drive it.

Funny, today a couple of Vette's coming at me gave me the thumbs up, and when they got next to me they had to do a double take and just smiled and nodded in approval.

Good times ahead at the Dells, and I am almost 100% certain the T-top is the one to take, so keep an eye out for a 64 year old in a white T-top that still needs paint, struggling to get out on Saturday, lol... (just kidding, I can still get in and out).
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See you at the dells. What class are you in?
PFF
System Bot
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

See you at the dells. What class are you in?

Looking forward to it notwohorns!

Probably not going to actually enter, just pay a visit so to speak.

The class would more than likely be C if I did / do.
I think that is for original GT automatics?

And mine sure is original, missing paint and clearcoat is spread from California, to Arizona, and than all the way up to here in Wisconsin . LOL.
But it is truly original, right down to the "Quack" sticker for the T-tops in the rear decklid!
I should enter just to show that sticker off... heheheheh

By the time I get there, it will have 199,000 miles on it.
How appropriate to hit that milestone on my way to the Dells.
Shoot, maybe I should drive the heck out of it this next week and try to hit 200,000 for the Dells?

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 05-28-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2017 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably my last post about this one, so here it is as a milemarker so to speak.

Tomorrow I will be passing along the T-top to a new owner!
I have loved and hated this GT from the moment I got it.

Loved that it was an '88, hated all that needed to be done to it.
I can honestly say, it was a great car to get back into Fiero's with, and hope the new owner continues the journey I started.

It is really a very solid example of an '88 that just needs a few loving moments to be exceptional in the end.
Yes, it needs paint, yes it has it's flaws, but I am not the least bit unhappy I was a brief moment in it's long and storied history.

Tomorrow is going to be a bit of a sad day due to all the ups and downs it and I have been through, but the new owner (and her mentor) I am 100% confident in!

Last post unless they decide it is not what they want (and I am confident it is) so goodbye "calizonia" !
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2017 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sad, but happy for the new owner. I hope she posts about it soon.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sad, but happy for the new owner. I hope she posts about it soon.

Well it is gone, so no time to look back with regrets, and actually it has been a real learning experience for me as to what I should and should not tackle in life.

John and Amanda are going to be terrific torch bearers for the T-top.

Anyone that admits they have strapped a fastback clip to their fastback and drove home with it on the interstate is alright with me!
Now that is dedication.....

I loved the look in her eyes when they were looking at it....... it was a happy and excited look.
Now to focus on the medium red one and make it what I want it to be for me, and my wife......
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock