Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Well, it begins again today, picked up my '88 GT! "Calizonia" (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Well, it begins again today, picked up my '88 GT! "Calizonia" by railshot
Started on: 05-18-2016 06:44 PM
Replies: 194 (5184 views)
Last post by: railshot on 07-13-2017 09:11 PM
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2016 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I just wanted to humorize the situation.

I plan to be at Fierorama in 2017. What happens after you turn 65? I know the vision goes after 40, to the point that small letters must be at least 6 inches from your eyes for focus. I lost my shirt hair at 30. I'm sure I lost something at 20, too, but I keep forgetting.

Nothing happens when I turn 65.... I hope!
Strange fact, the older I get the better my vision gets, I guess that is to compensate for something like maybe sanity? lol
Just setting a goal, and this year I will for sure be at Fierorama, now will it be with a GT, a Formula, or a Base, or all 3????
IP: Logged
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2016 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Woo Hoo, just bought a performance sound unit for the GT.....!

Getting anxious for spring now, and it ain't even January yet......
Happy New Year's Eve all.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2017 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:
Strange fact, the older I get the better my vision gets, I guess that is to compensate for something like maybe sanity? lol

Actually, my hindsight has improved tremendously, over the years. Sometimes, I can see things in perfect clarity, less than a second after the fact.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2017 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Woo Hoo, just ordered some leather T-top bags!
Now I have to keep the GT.........
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2017 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

railshot

1310 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Woo Hoo, just ordered some leather T-top bags!
Now I have to keep the GT.........

Edit: got the performance sound delivered by ups today also, slowly running out of things to buy.... hmmm, need to look harder I guess. LOL
Hey, I just quoted myself instead of edit..... lol

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 01-06-2017).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2017 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Window helpers, keyless entry, new nose, side scoops, extractor hood vent, decklid hump vent, zero-lash end links, heavy-duty sway bar, S10 brake booster, fuel pump, brake lines and hoses, spare tire cover, retractable antenna, steering wheel recover, shift boot, Mr. Mike's seats, TXGOOD glove boxes, upper trunk cover, recovered sun visors, etc.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2017 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Window helpers, keyless entry, new nose, side scoops, extractor hood vent, decklid hump vent, zero-lash end links, heavy-duty sway bar, S10 brake booster, fuel pump, brake lines and hoses, spare tire cover, retractable antenna, steering wheel recover, shift boot, Mr. Mike's seats, TXGOOD glove boxes, upper trunk cover, recovered sun visors, etc.

Windows are actually quite fast, keyless entry... not very 80's, , new nose.... hey, did you see a picture of me or something, now that is getting a little personal LOL, I like my hood! decklid is fine, end links eh.... sway bars... I like the soft ride.... brake booster.... I drive like 10 mph most of the time...fuel pump is holding up, just have to keep the tank full ..... brake lines are like new..... spare tire cover.... hey, I live like 1/2 hour away from Fiero Thomas, so that is a go.... retractable antennae... like the solid one...... steering wheel is like new.... shift boot is good.... Mr. Mikes is in the works!.....TXGOOD glove box, forgot about that one... now on my list.... upper trunk cover.... yes, forgot about that also....... sun visors are very good......
Thanks for the input tshark..... there goes some more $$$.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2017 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time for another update.

The winter hoard is growing for parts to install next time warm weather arrives.
Basement is becoming my favorite place.....

Performance sound sub, T-top bags, self dimming mirror, and other "stuff" just waiting for a warm stretch.

New T-top endcaps ordered today also.
I just may take these to be 3d scanned to see if they could easily be printed.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2017 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, forgot about the self-dimming mirror.

Back in '78, we had a pickup with the antenna built into the windshield. Kindof cool.

Daytime running lights? Fog lights? I like fog lights. When driving at night, sometimes it helps to see the lines.

What are those endcaps made of? Rubber? Going to be fun 3D printing them, if so. After the print, they'll need to have some solution applied to smooth them a bit.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 01-14-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2017 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What are those endcaps made of? Rubber? Going to be fun 3D printing them, if so. After the print, they'll need to have some solution applied to smooth them a bit.

I think they are more than likely made of ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) which is a blend of high impact polystyrene and a butyl modifier for higher impact strength or simply an HDPE (high density polyethylene).

If I do have them made somehow, I will be trying a couple of materials.

Glass filled nylon is one I would love to see as it is very rigid and quite strong depending on the length of the glass fiber added, along with Acetal, which is very wear resistant and used as a bearing surface in many applications......

Sorry for the science / plastics lesson.
It's in my blood. LOL

If there is a texture, it may not be all that bad as the originals have a texture on them already to match the rest of the interior.

hoddy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2017 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoddySend a Private Message to hoddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The keyless entry might not be very 80s but it is bloody brilliant.
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2017 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Texture, yes. Leaks, no. The 3D print texture wouldn't match. ABS takes handling well, though, so you can smooth it.

I had an '85 Camaro with wipers that dropped below view when turned off, retracting antenna, and keyless entry. I don't know if it was dealer or manufacturer, but it seemed original.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 01-14-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2017 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I am still waiting to hear back from Slammed about the repaired lenses I bought way back on December 15th (just happened to be a birthday present for myself, my birthday is December 16th if anyone wants to send me something next year ) and I am still holding out hope of getting them by my next birthday. lol

Like I said in the lenses thread, I do not bet money I am not prepared to lose, but this could be such a lucrative thing for someone.
I too have ran a small business, and to be honest, I stayed on top of every aspect of it related to my customers almost 24 / 7.

This is in no way intended to be a bash Slammed post, but it truly is disappointing at this point.
If I only had a dime to do this myself, you guys would be amazed at my responses..... good or bad.
Actually I have overwhelmed my former customers to the point they apologized to me for being such a pain....... which they were not by any stretch.

Stuff does happen, and just letting a customer know about your cat getting sick, your dog not liking the cat, or how mount Mt. St. Helens erupted and totally destroyed FedEx... LOL... OK, there I go off the deep end again.....

I am still hoping for the best.

Now, still waiting for spring and a nice warm day, or should I say summer, to install all the goodies I have acquired this winter...

My 11 year old signature included on this post may explain me... hehehehe

------------------
There's one in every crowd, and usually it's me.

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2017 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let's just say my return to a Fiero experience is turning slightly sour lately.

Still no lenses from Slammed that I ordered on December 15th.

Ordered some new T-top end caps from another individual, no caps, and no replies to my emails since I paid for them on January 14th.

Sigh...... I just may go get me a Solstice or Chrysler Crossfire and dump the GT.
I am seriously at that point now.

This is not how it should be.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2017 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hold on a sec. I felt the same recently. The Fiero is for your enjoyment. Don't let a few people spoil your enjoyment. Many of the people on here are fine. There are a few that fit into another category. Some people are just out to rain on your parade. You know better than to let them get to you.

Just as in life, there a few bumps along the road. Don't let the dark cloud they cast dim your enjoyment of life.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2017 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hold on a sec. I felt the same recently. The Fiero is for your enjoyment. Don't let a few people spoil your enjoyment. Many of the people on here are fine. There are a few that fit into another category. Some people are just out to rain on your parade. You know better than to let them get to you.

Just as in life, there a few bumps along the road. Don't let the dark cloud they cast dim your enjoyment of life.

Hey tshark,
I have had quite a few bumps in the road so that is not the real big issue.
The availability of parts is what is beginning to actually worry me, particularly with a GT, and T-tops.

Maybe this is why I still prefer a Formula.

No GT tail lights and plenty of tail lights for a coupe available even local to me.
No T-top seals (try to find even one set anywhere for a non CJB, and if you can, they are over a grand now).
No T-top end caps (originals are $600 plus if you can find them).

So, I think my GT days may be over at least for me.
Logic tells me I should do this, and do it soon.

I still love a good Formula though.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2017 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't speak to tht T-tops, but I have an '88GT. Yes, there are challenges finding parts, but someone rises to the occasion. Your tail lights weren't bad, but Napoleon can probably fix them.

I suspect t-top parts could be made. Have you checked with TFS? TFF may have some.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2017 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can't speak to tht T-tops, but I have an '88GT. Yes, there are challenges finding parts, but someone rises to the occasion. Your tail lights weren't bad, but Napoleon can probably fix them.

I suspect t-top parts could be made. Have you checked with TFS? TFF may have some.

Yes, I have checked and the cost of just a few of all of the parts I need / want to restore this car to like new, is in excess of the value of my GT, even with really good paint.
I am not trying to put a monetary value on it, I am just looking at the logic of it all, and also factoring in the fun value.

One of my tail lights has a patched hole that must have been done over 20 years ago and is now yellowing.
Maybe looked perfect 15 years ago, but now is in need of replacement for my standards.

I have also investigated having the T-top seals replicated, and have to say that without a rather large number of cash pre orders, it is out of the question by anyone but Jay Leno .... lol.

Also, I have been personally looking at making a real GT outer tail light lens.... not just a repair lens, but a genuine replacement that would fit and function like the Fiero Store ones would have from the original molds.
This is another item that would be extremely expensive to do correctly without locating the original tooling which I am still trying to find.

So. I think I will either be getting me a Formula (mid April with any luck, and this is not a sure thing) or just moving on....
It has been fun to drive, and I still love the feel and look of the GT, but it is still not the "ultimate" for me.

What is my "ultimate"?
A very nice automatic Formula that needs literally nothing.... it is out there!

My memories of Fiero's stopped over 8 years ago when I could still go to Farm and Fleet and get what I needed for gas filters, plugs, wires, distributor caps, and many other things.
This was not even considered when I got back into the Fiero game, and probably should have been.

At one time I owned a 1955 Studebaker, it was fun, but trying to get parts for it was ridiculous..... that is where I am at again.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2017 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And the pile continues to grow!
New trunk seal and trunk light from The Fiero Store arrived today!

I must admit this has been an adventure, but now the old fart has decided "full steam ahead"!

Two more very "special" items on their way..... I will post when I have them both.
This project is far, far, far, from dead, and actually is seeing a reborn exuberance this February.

Yup, I still love my Fiero's..... and a Formula is in the picture for me too.
I know I said I was pretty much done, but good fortune (no, not Jay Leno type cash, but other positive things) has come my way with other members here on the forum, so hang on.

Stay tuned. hehehe

A bit of an editorial here......
I totally enjoy this forum and have contributed to it more than once in the past 2 months to keep it going.
As I said in the donation thread, that has turned rather weird to be honest, if you like the forum donate, if you don't that is your choice but if it should go by the way of the dinosaur, at least I tried to keep it alive.

Enough of that, now on to paint next...... factory original white with a black spoiler.
The wife convinced me it is just enough contrast to make it look interesting.

It may be a couple of months before it is a reality, but I like it.
Getting quotes starting next month.... (the rates are cheaper around here once everyone is done doing stupid things in the snow).

Edit: Forgot to add I got my T-top end caps and they look to be original ones.
No "flash" (technical term for having excess plastic") and are the oem colors.
I can vouch for the seller if anyone is interested in whom it may be.
PM me and I will give you my source....

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 02-17-2017).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2017 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... factory original white with a black spoiler.

If you are not completely set on keeping everything original, check out the pearl white that comes on the new Lexus cars. The one I saw was an IS350, but I think it comes on other models, too. White pearl used to look dull, but this is stunning.

If it looks as good as I think it will, then I'll do the same thing on mine.

Edit - Found a pic, although pics don't really do it justice. (They call it satin white.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-18-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2017 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

If you are not completely set on keeping everything original, check out the pearl white that comes on the new Lexus cars. The one I saw was an IS350, but I think it comes on other models, too. White pearl used to look dull, but this is stunning.

If it looks as good as I think it will, then I'll do the same thing on mine.

Edit - Found a pic, although pics don't really do it justice. (They call it satin white.)

Thanks Raydar, I googled that and found the same picture this morning.
That would look really nice on it, and I just may have to see about doing that.

My rear bumper valance was replaced prior to me buying it and painted.
To be honest, it looks quite a bit like that color but with less of the pearl.... I like it.
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2017 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did your seller make the caps?
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2017 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did your seller make the caps?

If he did, he made some of the best caps that I have ever seen as far as a duplication of anything.
Correct color too, so that is a clue there, as most duplications need to be color painted to match the interior and will be black.

I work in injection molding and cannot see where these were duplicates.
Even has ejector pin flash in the correct spots and a gate vestige.
These are nos caps as far as I can tell.

Almost afraid to use them lol.

Edit: added a couple of really crappy pictures of the end caps.

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 02-19-2017).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2017 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Almost afraid to use them lol.

If you still have your originals, in "serviceable" condition, you might try drilling out the plastic tube and inserting an appropriate sized piece of copper tubing, epoxied in place. Maybe even flare the end to support the tube, a bit.

Keep the new ones as spares, in case the idea doesn't work, or in case you just want to return to "original".
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2017 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

If you still have your originals, in "serviceable" condition, you might try drilling out the plastic tube and inserting an appropriate sized piece of copper tubing, epoxied in place. Maybe even flare the end to support the tube, a bit.

Keep the new ones as spares, in case the idea doesn't work, or in case you just want to return to "original".

Actually that is very similar to the plan I have for the old ones.

I am thinking of inserting a "Delrin" bushing somehow to make the hole round and centered again.
Delrin is a brand name for a plastic called acetal, (Polyoxymethylene) which is extremely wear resistant and durable.
It is used in quite a few bearing surfaces, and lasts a long time.

I am even considering having someone look at making all the end caps out of this material in total.
That would be the ultimate end cap for me.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot your background was in plastics. Doh!
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2017 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, been holding out until I had them both, but I now have 2 non delaminated GT lenses for the GT.
All tabs in place and ready to mount.
I only needed the PON side, but hey, if I am going to do this, I am going 100% full steam ahead.

If anyone wants to know my source for the first one, pm me..... I am not sharing this for now, but I have bought several things from him recently, and can only say good things so far.

1st one is impeccable!
I have not seen one this good in a long, long time..... like since 1988.
I just opened the box not more than 20 minutes ago!

2nd one has no delamination, but can use a little polishing..... to be accomplished this weekend.

I may have just doubled the value of my GT. LOL!
Literally, LOL!

So right now I have a really nice pair of GT lenses ready to go on after painting this spring.

Not included in my for sale price!... heck, this total purchase is almost 1/3rd of my for sale price!.....

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2017 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to tell you, but the value didn't likely change--only the cost. Personally, I'm with you on fixing things. Of course, there are people on here who take detail to a whole higher level.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2017 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hate to tell you, but the value didn't likely change--only the cost. Personally, I'm with you on fixing things. Of course, there are people on here who take detail to a whole higher level.

LOL, I meant that to be a bit of sarcasm aimed at what people think that tail lights are valued at.
Agreed, they are hard to find, but hey, if an old fart like me can do it, some young whipper snapper should be able to in these days and times.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2017 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe 20 years ago, I had an old guy (three times my age) who worked for me. He was ornery, and not particularly good at his job, but didn't screw anything up, didn't piss anyone off, always tóld you exactly what he thought, showed up on time, put in a full hard day's work, and was willing to do anything that was needed. Yeah, the kids moved faster, and some were more knowledgeable, but this old guy just kept plodding along. The kids were unreliable, dishonest, unkempt, constantly complaining, stole time, pissed off customers, caused problems, broke things, were totally careless, were disrespectful, etc.

Now, many kids tell me up front in the interview that they won't take out the trash, won't vacuum the floor, won't work during whatever game, etc, which works out well, because they also won't be working for me.

Don't think that kids now are as capable as the average old fart. There are exceptions, like Kathryn, and some old guys can't use a hammer or change their oil.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2017 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe 20 years ago, I had an old guy (three times my age) who worked for me. He was ornery, and not particularly good at his job, but didn't screw anything up, didn't piss anyone off, always tóld you exactly what he thought, showed up on time, put in a full hard day's work, and was willing to do anything that was needed. Yeah, the kids moved faster, and some were more knowledgeable, but this old guy just kept plodding along. The kids were unreliable, dishonest, unkempt, constantly complaining, stole time, pissed off customers, caused problems, broke things, were totally careless, were disrespectful, etc.

Now, many kids tell me up front in the interview that they won't take out the trash, won't vacuum the floor, won't work during whatever game, etc, which works out well, because they also won't be working for me.

Don't think that kids now are as capable as the average old fart. There are exceptions, like Kathryn, and some old guys can't use a hammer or change their oil.

Hey, I don't remember ever working for you.... hehehe.... sounds just like me!

"ornery, and not particularly good at his job, but didn't screw anything up, didn't piss anyone off.......
always tóld you exactly what he thought, showed up on time, put in a full hard day's work, and was willing to do anything that was needed."
PFF
System Bot
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2017 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been a while since any updates, so here goes.

I have had a couple of people interested in buying my GT, but I am still preparing for improving on it if I do not sell it.
Today I took a vacation day and picked up an original 87,000 mile exhaust I will be installing come spring.

And I now have a crack free replacement dash for it, matches perfectly, that I picked up when I got the exhaust.
Only needs a bit of cleaning and some reconditioning to be flawless!

And so the pile continues to grow.... and maybe the stable?
I do so love "the hunt"!
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just in case nobody thinks I am serious about restoring the T-top, I began restoring and cleaning the dash I bought for it last Friday.
When the weather is warm enough, like in the mid 60's to mid 70's, it is going in right after I pull the interior to install the new rear speakers from Rodney I bought last fall.
I could still use a passenger side B pillar with the speaker grill intact.... still looking.

No cracks, just a few glue spots from who knows what, and it looks like a winner!
Using Mothers VLR to restore it so I can put it in when the weather permits.

Just as a point of reference for the future, I paid $150.00 US for it.
Only reason I mention that is because of a few posts about dashes, and I think I got a good price on it..... just about right to be honest.

I have a beechwood dash waiting for my next project (to be here in a month or so) once I get my next GT,...... yup, gonna have 2 '88 GT's to play with! ,
I am sure it is going to be a bit more price wise, due to the color and it is in extremely nice condition, so they are out there.....

Welcome to Dave's winter world.... the basement......it is now 29 degrees out......hehehe (3-22-2017 7:24 pm).... spring my butt!

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2017 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had to post this here.

Today I finally got around to trying my parking brake because someone had asked me about it in my for sale post a couple of weeks ago.
(updated a lot of stuff there also, just because I can.... and I am a minute by minute type of guy.....hit me at the right minute, and who knows what I will do, just check my sig...lol).

Holy crap, my parking brake works like new!

Now I have not tried it previously because I have had one or two other Fiero's that hung up so bad I had to cut the cable, remove the rims, and manually work them back out.
Yeah, I have bought a few clunkers from Wisconsin before and have not had a nice southern car since 2008, so this actually surprised this northern boy.

This is such a pleasant surprise for me!

I had already been thinking about all the stuff I would need to get them working again, and even had most of it lined up to purchase.
Now, I can spend my cash on something a little more fun than a parking brake setup!
Woo Hoo!!!!!

When life is good, it is very good.... (ok, little things get me going over the top sometimes, and it is only a Tuesday!)..... heheheheh

------------------
There's one in every crowd, and usually it's me.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2017 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Careful. I have a room full of Fiero parts. Unfortunately, my servers, the firewall, modem, switch, UPS, etc are all BEHIND the parts. Whenever I have to get to the modem, I have to move lots of parts. My wife claims that I could build 2 Fieros from the parts in there, and I built a plywood wall to hide some of the parts. It isn't true, though. There are no engines, transmissions, fuel tanks, seats, wheels, or frames in there.

When it came time to gather parts for my Fiero, I rented a storage unit, so I could separate the parts. I filled the back of my truck with parts. Now that those parts are out, I tried to move the rest of the parts to the storage unit, which is 10x10x7.5. I filled the unit, but hardly made a dent in the parts in my room. Worse yet, I have lots of parts lent out, some old parts will be coming back from the shop, and I have some more parts on backorder.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2017 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Careful. I have a room full of Fiero parts. Unfortunately, my servers, the firewall, modem, switch, UPS, etc are all BEHIND the parts. Whenever I have to get to the modem, I have to move lots of parts. My wife claims that I could build 2 Fieros from the parts in there, and I built a plywood wall to hide some of the parts. It isn't true, though. There are no engines, transmissions, fuel tanks, seats, wheels, or frames in there.

When it came time to gather parts for my Fiero, I rented a storage unit, so I could separate the parts. I filled the back of my truck with parts. Now that those parts are out, I tried to move the rest of the parts to the storage unit, which is 10x10x7.5. I filled the unit, but hardly made a dent in the parts in my room. Worse yet, I have lots of parts lent out, some old parts will be coming back from the shop, and I have some more parts on backorder.

Hey tshark,
Always good to hear from you!
I know all too well about "parts". lol

What, no engines or frames in the house?
How sad..... lol, your wife must be one heck of an understanding wife.
Mine is upset with the 4'x4' area I have confiscated already in the basement!

Sad thing is, there is an '86 GT less than a mile from me that I will buy this summer for "parts"!
I had been after this thing for over 20 years now, and the owner just will not "part" (ok, as I typed that the humor of if got to me....) with it.
It is truly now a $500 parts car, but when I first looked at it, I would have paid $3500!

Sadly she has had it outside in a field on her farm for almost that same amount of time.... performance sound, 28,000 mile '88 engine verified, they could not open the trunk so some dufus took a crowbar to try to open it and I am sure broke the tail lights..... that one alone makes me want to cry, etc.

Now, ...... I have a 10' x 25' shed that I keep the garden tractor, snow blower, and other "stuff" in next to the house, so guess what it is going to become?
The Fiero shed!

I was just in there today putting the snow blower away (yeah, I know a blizzard is soon to hit now because of that ) and looked at all the other "stuff" in there, and I will be calling in for a dumpster soon this spring.!
How many bird cages, old tires, soggy insulation, and other "stuff" does one need?
The Fiero hoard is what I think I will call it when empty.... which will not be empty for long.

No such thing as having too many "parts"..... heck, I have an extra bone in each of my hands.
lol, even the guys at the university could not explain that to me.
Maybe that is just my thing...... or I am an alien....... that just happens to love Fiero's?

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 03-28-2017).]

Lilcargal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2017 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilcargalSend a Private Message to LilcargalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greetings. I am only a couple of weeks into fiero ownership, but have learned a couple of things already from this forum. Fieros are like potato chips. You can't have just one. And Fiero owners seem compelled to have at least one of every car part they might ever need. I can see where it would be reassuring having parts on hand. I am already longing to have a parts car stashed behind the shed..... I am fighting off the urge with all of my might at the moment. So, Railshot, and the rest of you; I envy your stash, and appreciate your knowledge of our quirky little cars. Lisa
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2017 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, Lisa! Fiero parts supplies tend to dry up quickly and unexpectedly, so yes, it's a good idea to buy what you need while it's available. This causes its own problems, because it inflates initial sales, causing vendors to ramp up production, then drop the product as sales fall off.

I've already missed a number of products because I didn't buy them while they were available.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2017 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lilcargal:

Greetings. I am only a couple of weeks into fiero ownership, but have learned a couple of things already from this forum. Fieros are like potato chips. You can't have just one. And Fiero owners seem compelled to have at least one of every car part they might ever need. I can see where it would be reassuring having parts on hand. I am already longing to have a parts car stashed behind the shed..... I am fighting off the urge with all of my might at the moment. So, Railshot, and the rest of you; I envy your stash, and appreciate your knowledge of our quirky little cars. Lisa

What tshark says is true, but not all parts are hard to find for an '88, or Fiero in general.
Suspension and brakes are a little more challenging when it comes to '88's, but basic stuff is still out there from many places like NAPA, Autozone, etc..

OK, I will share a secret here with you..... there is a place in Elkhorn that has gotten me some very hard to find oem parts.
It is called "The Parts Place" and is located right in the middle of downtown!
You walk into the place and you take a step back in time to the late '60's.
Wood floors, old dudes like me hanging around just jawing, phone is usually ringing, and the people there laugh at you when you say you have a Fiero.... heheehe.
That is why I like it!

GT's have their special needs like tail lights, but even those can still be found in decent shape at a "reasonable" price.
Even so, I am in the process of getting my wife an '88 GT, so they can't be all that bad can they?

A few years ago there were a couple of Fiero's over in Eagle at the boneyard there, need to check on those again soon, but they are most likely gone by now.
Finding body panels, interior stuff, and Fiero specific things is getting more and more difficult due to time, and the salvage yards just do not keep them anymore.

The big question is..... how is that Formula treating you!?
I can't wait for a couple of drives through the Kettle Moraine out your way, and if you get a chance sometime this summer, head out to the Mississippi taking the smaller county roads as much as you can, nice drive for a Sunday afternoon!

Is Myra Lanes still open?
My bowling ball is still there somewhere from back in 1984!?
lol. yup, I am an official old fart and loving every minute of it.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2017 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not necessarily OEM parts. I just missed out on the TFS Y-pipe. Then there were the TFS and paulv glove boxes. There were several iterations of the dew wipes. How about clear front parking light covers? Remember the flushmount headlights Kris made? How abour the aluminum fuel tanks? The list goes on and on. I think BTR is getting rid of their LED rear lighting.

And the proportional brake valve.

Door weatherstrips? Steering rack bushings?

I just saw a post about coolant tube clamps. Apparently, GM never sold them separately.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 03-30-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock