Engine swap options. by painandgain99
Started on: 04-12-2016 02:13 PM
Replies: 15 (1270 views)
Last post by: painandgain99 on 04-14-2016 12:43 AM
painandgain99

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2016 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys i wanted to start another thread for ideas here (and patrick, lets bury the hatchet, id love you input) my fieros frame is great. Very great. And i want to get into racing and drifting ( on a track ofcourse) and i considered having the fiero built up to specs. Everyone wants a 3800, but i was wondering if anyone has ever put a honda K20 turbo in a fiero? How it would work... how the trans would hook up. If its doable with tools, hoists and a good welder and plenty of tools and help. I think a k20 in a fiero would be absolutely incredible.
Also open to any suggestions on great light engines that can fit, and open to any performance track parts for the fiero if you people know of them. Love your input guys

------------------
87' GT 5 speed 😤 16 years old
My IG for daily motivation: Alpha_Photos

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-12-2016 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/096549.html

I don't think anyone's done a K-series into a Fiero. But at least the K series is the correct rotation and has the trans on the right side, and the transmissions for the K20 use cables for shift linkage.

Should just be a matter of some engineering, fabrication, plumbing, wiring, and tuning skills.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2016 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
... and money.
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2016 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

... and money.

True that. The more knowledge im gaining i figured it would just be some fabrication i just didnt understand how the tranny would hook up. Any additional tipswould be appreciated. And thanks dobey. My family has a 2.0 turbo genisis coupe track edition with the k20a.... it pushes you to your seats. And my frame is so good i think itd be awesome to make into a beastly track car, drive someone else in the meantime. And restore it.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2016 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by painandgain99:
True that. The more knowledge im gaining i figured it would just be some fabrication i just didnt understand how the tranny would hook up. Any additional tipswould be appreciated. And thanks dobey. My family has a 2.0 turbo genisis coupe track edition with the k20a.... it pushes you to your seats. And my frame is so good i think itd be awesome to make into a beastly track car, drive someone else in the meantime. And restore it.

Do what? The Hyundai Genesis does not have a Honda engine in it. The 2.0 turbo Genesis Coupe is the Hyundai Theta engine, and the car is RWD. The K20 is a Honda engine, and used in transverse FWD/AWD applications. So unless someone swapped a Honda K20 into that car, it's not a K20.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2016 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If its doable with tools, hoists and a good welder and plenty of tools and help.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that some combination of those things would do the trick. LOL

You are going to have to fabricate mounting structure for the engine with the good welder and probably the help and tools.

Then you'll have to break out plenty of tools and help to create an adapter plate to use the Fiero trans or again with the welder and help to make more brackets for the Honda trans.

If you use the Honda transmission then you'll need to access the tools, help and possibly the good welder again to make more bracketry and custom cables to shift the transmission.

More tools and help to figure out custom axles too... this list can go on for a long time...

All joking aside, I don't think you really grasp the complexity of what you are wanting to do (follow that thread Dobey linked and linked threads inside), people do crazy things everyday with tools, a hoist, a good welder, plenty of tools and help.

A couple of more achievable non-3800 options:
Roger Thelin's Ecotec kit and a super/turbocharged Ecotec out of a Cobalt or Ion... (kit designed for an 88 chassis though...)
Cammed and ported 3500 LX9 using WOT-TECH or perhaps Milzy Motorsports, 40lbs less weight than the 2.8 easy to build to 250HP+

The Fiero does not have the proper layout for a 'drift' car... drift cars have their weight centered over the front wheels to allow controlled rotation around the steering wheels. The Fiero unfortunately is extremely prone to lift throttle over-steer (can be reduced with a lot of suspension reworking), as are most mid-rear engine cars, not a very desirable attribute in a controlled drift.

But hey, you can do whatever you want if your, or being 16-17 years old, your dad's checkbook is deep enough.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2016 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:
The Fiero does not have the proper layout for a 'drift' car... drift cars have their weight centered over the front wheels to allow controlled rotation around the steering wheels. The Fiero unfortunately is extremely prone to lift throttle over-steer (can be reduced with a lot of suspension reworking), as are most mid-rear engine cars, not a very desirable attribute in a controlled drift.

Pfft.

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2016 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Pfft.

That guy is good... wow. The comments tell the story though...

From the comments, response from the vid poster (John Marshall):

Mark Pavlovets
This is so sick man!! Can't wait until i get an MR2 of my own!

John Marshall
+Mark Pavlovets You'll love it. Watch out for the snap oversteer though!!!

Mark Pavlovets
+John Marshall Yeah i heard about that, i will try. Hopefully i can manage it.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 04-13-2016).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2016 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah. You have to learn how to use the snap oversteer to induce the sliding, rather spinning all the way around and slamming into the wall.

There's another video I was going to link, but it's much longer and full of other stuff, with a guy drifting a Ferrari 360 at one of the tracks in Japan.
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2016 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a time when I would have suggested a Quad 4 or the later Twin Cam engine. The big plus for them is that their transmissions accept the Fiero axles.

Over the last couple of years those engines have become fairly uncommon in my favorite salvage yard. It always has plenty of Ecotecs, though. My brother has an HHR and loves the Ecotec in it.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2016 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are the air sounds in that video? Pisshititit
PFF
System Bot
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2016 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am going to go out on a limb and say that some combination of those things would do the trick. LOL

You are going to have to fabricate mounting structure for the engine with the good welder and probably the help and tools.

Then you'll have to break out plenty of tools and help to create an adapter plate to use the Fiero trans or again with the welder and help to make more brackets for the Honda trans.

If you use the Honda transmission then you'll need to access the tools, help and possibly the good welder again to make more bracketry and custom cables to shift the transmission.

More tools and help to figure out custom axles too... this list can go on for a long time...

All joking aside, I don't think you really grasp the complexity of what you are wanting to do (follow that thread Dobey linked and linked threads inside), people do crazy things everyday with tools, a hoist, a good welder, plenty of tools and help.

A couple of more achievable non-3800 options:
Roger Thelin's Ecotec kit and a super/turbocharged Ecotec out of a Cobalt or Ion... (kit designed for an 88 chassis though...)
Cammed and ported 3500 LX9 using WOT-TECH or perhaps Milzy Motorsports, 40lbs less weight than the 2.8 easy to build to 250HP+

But hey, you can do whatever you want if your, or being 16-17 years old, your dad's checkbook is deep enough.

His checkbook just ran out as far as the car since i got the ticket 😂 but i just got a good job. Thanks for all the tips. Itd take alot of planning. Perhaps i could build all of the mounts and gather the supplies and have my shop drop it in and tune it. Who knows. And by honda motor i mispoke, my friend the the 2.0 genesis said the k20a turbo was LIKE his motor. My apologies.

As far as the fiero not being a drift car... i have to disagree. Perhaps special work has been done to mine, but its hard for me not to drift.

Here here is a little video of me drifting. Its obviously easy in the snow. But i think its alot easier to handle while its sideways than the genesis. Just my opinion, i respect everyones opinions. Thanks for all the tips guys, im going to reallyput my heart into this car. And my money.... 😈. My frame is absolutely solid, i want it to be my custom built car and unique. So this is the planning phase. You all are a part of this. And i really appreciate it.

Also, today i pulled up to a red light and spoke out the window to a member named trent on here he was complimenting my car and mentioned he was on pennocks. Just thought id mention, "Trent" are you around here?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2016 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me give you my experience with Fiero Drifting. Not mine, but the car I bought from someone who tried it. I never saw it happen, but only heard talk of it.

The car was so squirrely that it tried to swap ends at almost any speed. ALL, yes, that's ALL, the ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, shocks and struts had to be replaced.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2016 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

What are the air sounds in that video? Pisshititit

Turbo blow off valve
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2016 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

As far as the fiero not being a drift car... i have to disagree. Perhaps special work has been done to mine, but its hard for me not to drift.

Sounds like the "special work" of letting the suspension get worn out.

The Fiero, especially the pre-88 cars, is certainly easy to make the back end swing out, in. Keeping it under control though, is a bit more work. Doing donuts or sliding in the snow is quite far from drifting.
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2016 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Sounds like the "special work" of letting the suspension get worn out.

The Fiero, especially the pre-88 cars, is certainly easy to make the back end swing out, in. Keeping it under control though, is a bit more work. Doing donuts or sliding in the snow is quite far from drifting.

True, but it does help you practice keeping control. If you all think it shouldnt be drifted, then ill build it as a race car and a miata for drifting (unless i can finance a car, i plan on my next car being a miata of E36 me. Older one i know its irrelevant but i finally got a job at a car dealership, if any of you remember when i first signed up and was 15 that was my dream job. Porter boy for 10$ an hour in air conditioning. Very happy. God bless you all

------------------
87' GT 5 speed 😤 16 years old
My IG for daily motivation: Alpha_Photos

[This message has been edited by painandgain99 (edited 04-14-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay