3800sc swap coil relocation by Ryanap333
Started on: 03-30-2016 04:52 PM
Replies: 12 (596 views)
Last post by: ILVMYGT on 04-01-2016 08:37 PM
Ryanap333

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ryanap333Send a Private Message to Ryanap333Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone had to relocate their 3800sc coil because its hitting the hood hinge? Also did you swap valve covers so the oil fill is at the rear instead of up on the firewall?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I have read in my research doing the swap, the coils are usually relocated to near the battery, and the battery is relocated under the spare tire in the front... Also, yes, the valve covers are usually swapped so that the oil fill is easy to access.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ryanap333

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ryanap333Send a Private Message to Ryanap333Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the coil doesnt have to be grounded to the engine?
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The icm does need to be well grounded but not necessarily to the engine per se. I usually mount mine on the trunk wall above the O2 sensor and just ground it back to the engine with and extra ground strap.
Spiders1

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spiders1Send a Private Message to Spiders1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put my coil on the trunk side opposite the fire wall. Put my computer up under the drivers side louver with an aluminum cover cause people said it puts out a lot of heat in the passenger compartment.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to move the coil packs, or cut up / loose the right hinge for the most part. I am moving my coil packs to where the alternator used to be, pretty much the same spot, just on the other side of the engine.

You will need to cut the bracket that the coil packet mounts to, as you still need the idler pulley, and the tensioner.

You can check out the post in my thread where I did just that.
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If a lot of you guys are relocating your cool packs to where the battery was what are you doing for spark plug wires ? Other than making custom wires, is there a particular car / truck set that works out for the length ? Any ideas of where to route them ? Not trying to hijack but thought this would apply to this thread.
Ryanap333

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ryanap333Send a Private Message to Ryanap333Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess were gonna make our own wires.
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ryanap333:

Anyone had to relocate their 3800sc coil because its hitting the hood hinge? Also did you swap valve covers so the oil fill is at the rear instead of up on the firewall?

I mounted mine vertical on the right strut tower, worked well with battery in place. Now I have them mounted where the battery was, and have the battery up front. And yes, you swap the valve covers.

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IanT720

1703 posts
Member since Sep 2010

Originally posted by Ryanap333:

I guess were gonna make our own wires.

I did, it's easy. I bought crane cams v8 Kit I think. They were a great price with fantastic quality. Ryan from GM Tuners recommended them

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the plug wires from the donor that were in pretty good condition. I picked up 2 48" wires from Autozone that worked out pretty well, mixed with the others. I routed them low, out of sight. Depending on how you route your wires, I have heard that stock will work OK- you might need an extra #6 wire from the pick and pull. If you want an absolute perfect fit, then making your own with a universal kit is probably the way to go.

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) 4t60e.

[This message has been edited by darbysan (edited 04-01-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you could raid the junkyard for only the long wires. be careful though. .easy to damage them
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just move mine over to clear the hinge. I left the battery in the stock locaation.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap Complete.
Paint Complete
Detailing in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock