Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How would you rate the Fiero's seats? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
How would you rate the Fiero's seats? by Threedog
Started on: 03-28-2016 11:57 AM
Replies: 55 (788 views)
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 03-30-2016 03:09 PM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Rear-ended in a 2004 Crammy.

What's a "Crammy"?
IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...thanks for making my point.

And occasionally there are 100-year-olds publicized who've smoked all their life.

Anomalies.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FWIW, simply stating how tall you are doesn't mean squat. Include your inseam. I'm 6'1" with a 31" inseam. I have a friend who is exactly my height with a 34" inseam. I fit just fine in a Fiero. He barely has enough headroom.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:

Well, that's unfortunate, because you are for more likely to die in those (old steel monster) cars.

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
Source 4
Source 5

And finally the most compelling of them all...

You have to be crazy to think that an old, steel car is more safe than a modern one. There is not a shred of evidence to suggest so. It is just people denying facts because they want to be nostalgic.

Excellent post.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

FWIW, simply stating how tall you are doesn't mean squat. Include your inseam. I'm 6'1" with a 31" inseam. I have a friend who is exactly my height with a 34" inseam. I fit just fine in a Fiero. He barely has enough headroom.

That is a problem, for sure. If you're the same height, but he has a longer inseam, that means he's short-waisted, like me. He should have more headroom. I'm almost 6 inches taller than my father, but most of my height is in my legs (34” inseam, to his 28”). His head usually touches the ceiling. I have inches to spare. I have to move just about any seat all the way back to be comfy.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

Originally posted by Patrick:

Excellent post.

If you must continue this here, perhaps you missed the part about no seatbelt. Perhaps you misunderstood what I said about all other things being equal.

I found some of your anomalies:
Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
Source 4
Source 5
And finally the most compelling of them all, the 58 vs 08 Chevy head on collision.

Read the comments on Source 4, about the Volvo. Just because it's published by the media and government doesn't make it true.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 03-29-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Perhaps you misunderstood what I said about all other things being equal.

Perhaps I "misunderstood"?

So this Challenger you were "stock car racing" and "hit an embankment head on at 160 MPH" was totally un-prepared for the track, eh? No cage, no 4-point harness, not wearing a helmet, etc? Because we're talking about regular cars the general public buys and drives on the street, right?

"All other things being equal."

In old steel ('70s Challenger), I hit an embankment head on at 160 MPH.

And yet, here I am. Not low-speed, like auto-crossing. True stock car racing.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-30-2016).]

Threedog

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Read the comments on Source 4, about the Volvo. Just because it's published by the media and government doesn't make it true.

Come on man, you can't honestly think that everything the media and government say is a lie but you and a select group of friends are the only ones who know the truth. Are car companies are making their cars heavier, more expensive, and out of a massive variety of materials because it is fun? Why can't we trust many media outlets, the vast majority of governments across the world, studies done by universities and scientific institutions and every single major auto maker on this? If old steel cars were safer, why isn't anyone building them?

The only people arguing for your case are individuals with a tiny fraction of anecdotal evidence who are nostalgic for their old cars. There is nothing statistically suggestive that older cars better in any way, I love my Fiero but I am not foolish enough to think it is safer than a modern Camaro.

I understand you love your old Chargers and GTOs and Mustangs, you have every right to. You can permanently look down on everyone else and say "Man, your new Honda Civic doesn't have any character", because you have a good reason to say that. You are able to say your car is cooler, better looking, more fun, and more iconic than anything on the streets today.

But to say that those cars were stock safer, more powerful, better built...and all evidence to the contrary is just some massive conspiracy against old cars? That is just delusional.
1Packrat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just be thankful we don’t have Takata airbags to deal with. Nothing like having that warm fuzzy feeling of driving a car with a hand grenade on the steering wheel with a bad pin in it.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, Threedog, still off-topic? Everyone's entitled to an opinion. So, you'd follow these people, jumping off a cliff, I see.

Threedog, assume away.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 03-30-2016).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:
You have to be crazy to think that an old, steel car is more safe than a modern one. There is not a shred of evidence to suggest so. It is just people denying facts because they want to be nostalgic.

Just a few points, a lot of new cars utilize quite a bit of steel too, sounds like a sound bite you are repeating when you say old steel car, or steel monster. (?)
Different curcumstances are well...different.
The shred of evidence involves size and weight. If the older is say a 73 Suburban or station wagon and the newer is a Mini Cooper or Fiat 500....they may both stand a similar chance if hit by a train. The newer may do better in hitting an immovable wall. However the older car hitting the newer car could likely crush the newer so severely that its cumple zones crush the occupant. If the older is wearing their seatbelt they would most likely come out in better shape. Damage to either also matters at what angle, and where the support structure is on a given particular model. Same could be true if the vehicles were samdwiched between two Semi tractor trailers.
Just my thoughts.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-30-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Just a few points, a lot of new cars utilize quite a bit of steel too, sounds like a sound bite you are repeating when you say old steel car, or steel monster. (?)
Different curcumstances are well...different.
The shred of evidence involves size and weight. If the older is say a 73 Suburban or station wagon and the newer is a Mini Cooper or Fiat 500....they may both stand a similar chance if hit by a train. The newer may do better in hitting an immovable wall. However the older car hitting the newer car could likely crush the newer so severely that its cumple zones crush the occupant. If the older is wearing their seatbelt they would most likely come out in better shape. Damage to either also matters at what angle, and where the support structure is on a given particular model. Same could be true if the vehicles were samdwiched between two Semi tractor trailers.
Just my thoughts.

People often call older vehicles boats, steel monstrosities, old steel anchors, etc. No sound byte. My vehicle is often referred to as immense. These were derogastory comments for sure, but my vehicles are paid for. I just shortened things up.

Passenger vehicles don't stand much of a chance when hit by a steel train, which has no crumple zones, airbags, or any of the other aforementioned new safety features. Heck, I was in an 18-wheeler that took the head-on from a 1-ton pickup, back in the 80s. The guy was suicidal, and successful. The 18-wheeler was out of commission for repairs for 3 days; the 1-ton was a pile of scrap metal. Actually, you covered my points rather well.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I absolutely love the Fiero seats! I'm 6'0, 32 inseam. I drive 2200-2500 miles (depending which route I take) from Nor Cal to East Texas twice a year in the course of 2-3 days. I stop for gas, I sleep in the car. I never feel uncomfortable. With the cruise on I occasionally will stretch my feet under the pedals with shoes off. Back support is good, weight distribution on legs and buttox are excellent. Oh, did I mention I have subwoofers behind the seat that make my seat scootched up almost all the way. (I probably wouldn't need to do the shoes off pedal stretch otherwise) I could not tell you of a more comfortable car that I have driven.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick, Threedog, still off-topic? Everyone's entitled to an opinion. So, you'd follow these people, jumping off a cliff, I see.

I don't understand where you're trying to go with this. No one has contributed more "off-topic" comments in this thread than you have. If it doesn't bother me (or anyone else I'm aware of), I'm rather surprised it appears to be irritating you.

And that is why drivers are so rude, these days. With movies playing in their sunvisors, their stereo blaring, and total disregard for anyone/anything outside their car. I wish cars were unwieldy boats again, with no power steering and no AC. Yes, I've been in Saudi, where temps are...warm. I wish there were no car radios or other extra electronics. Perhaps people would be more civil & courteous.

Threedog

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lets all just stop talking about it. No one is gonna change their mind.

Originally posted by liv4God:

I absolutely love the Fiero seats! I'm 6'0, 32 inseam. I drive 2200-2500 miles (depending which route I take) from Nor Cal to East Texas twice a year in the course of 2-3 days. I stop for gas, I sleep in the car. I never feel uncomfortable. With the cruise on I occasionally will stretch my feet under the pedals with shoes off. Back support is good, weight distribution on legs and buttox are excellent. Oh, did I mention I have subwoofers behind the seat that make my seat scootched up almost all the way. (I probably wouldn't need to do the shoes off pedal stretch otherwise) I could not tell you of a more comfortable car that I have driven.

This is that I want to hear! Good support is essential to a road trip. I want my seats to be nice and comfortable but firm enough that I can get in and out without issues. Thanks for the info!

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

34" inseam here, still have no issues - do if I wear a helmet.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock