mounting intercooler heat exchanger outside of car by ignorant prodigy
Started on: 03-25-2016 07:17 PM
Replies: 19 (1317 views)
Last post by: thesameguy on 03-28-2016 02:31 PM
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2016 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
in a weird way.. i like it.
it's like.. i'm a little ghetto but i'm race inspired.
i'm considering doing on it my 88 formula.

what do you guys think?.. don't worry you can't hurt my internet feelings

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
spirit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2016 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's for racing fine. Otherwise I don't like it but I'm old school
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2016 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I think it looks like something a teenager would put on their car..begging for attention- sort of like tall spoilers, big scoops, etc. To each their own I guess- I think subtle performance mods look better.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2016 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems like it would be better behind the fascia, and covered with a metal lattice to prevent stone damage.
Unless there's just not room for it.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2016 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Seems like it would be better behind the fascia, and covered with a metal lattice to prevent stone damage.
Unless there's just not room for it.

It may also be a new stupid trend...

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2016 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, it's a new trend. All the sheeple are doing it.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2016 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mounting intercooler heat exchanger outside of car

I may be off here but I wouldn't say that's a "intercooler". Oil to air heat exchanger yes as those probably cool the trans fluid possibly the engine oil.
Pancake

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2016 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PancakeSend a Private Message to PancakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Yeah, it's a new trend. All the sheeple are doing it.

Yep, another trend from Japan. I think it was originally a budget racecar thing but became a fashion statement over there years back
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2016 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is the radiator for the intercooler .The actual intercooler is inside the car .There is lots of room to hide it in front of the rad in a fiero .I have an intercooler rad and a cooling fan on my 86 GT in front of the coolant radiator . You have to crouch way down to see it .

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 03-26-2016).]

StreetRod4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The turbo 2.9 gt concept had an intercooler mounted in the rear spoiler
Notalented

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotalentedSend a Private Message to NotalentedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it looks better behind a fascia, in my opinion a modified fascia would look best if showing it off is what you want. Some protection from road debrie would make sense unless you're more interested in a garage queen than something you really take out.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:
I may be off here but I wouldn't say that's a "intercooler". Oil to air heat exchanger yes as those probably cool the trans fluid possibly the engine oil.
Yup
All pic's above... Line looks small for intercooler.
Oil w/ Dry Sump setup or added Coolant cap for Radiator could use that size(s).

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does not look practical. It will be damaged by small rocks at speed causing less cooling. Not to mention that the back side of the cooler needs to be completely open to allow good flow. They might as well of mounted it on the hood.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A few months ago I posted this...

Originally posted by Patrick... Here :

This is a little bit off topic... but it's so stupid I had to post it.

I was looking at WRX ads from across the country in Craigslist, and I came across this 2002 WRX with something unusual mounted on the front bumper. I couldn't believe my eyes. It's an aftermarket oil cooler. What a great place to mount an oil cooler... and then have someone back into it while they're parallel parking in front of you. Can you say "no oil pressure"? Wow...

But it looks so good mounted there, right?

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

A few months ago I posted this...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick... Here :

This is a little bit off topic... but it's so stupid I had to post it.

I was looking at WRX ads from across the country in Craigslist, and I came across this 2002 WRX with something unusual mounted on the front bumper. I couldn't believe my eyes. It's an aftermarket oil cooler. What a great place to mount an oil cooler... and then have someone back into it while they're parallel parking in front of you. Can you say "no oil pressure"? Wow...

But it looks so good mounted there, right?

[/QUOTE]

A ricer?? In Vancouver??? I don't believe it

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys, these are oil coolers installed by factory racers in the '70s, a totally functional thing and about as opposite a styling trend as you can get. The concept was revived recently as a styling trend, a nod back to vintage Japanese race cars.

That first Skyline is a great tribute to the original Skylines!

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 03-27-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

A ricer?? In Vancouver??? I don't believe it

Hey, the funny thing was that I found that car while looking over Craiglist ads in your neck of the woods. Turns out this WRX was actually located in New York State.

Originally posted by Patrick:

I was looking at WRX ads from across the country in Craigslist...

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I kinda like the trend if the car is deserving. At least if he Auto X a lot. But on a Fiero I don't think it will work well. The car is so smooth and curvy. See if there's any done to Vettes. That will give you a better idea. I stuck my transcooler in my sidescoop.

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Figures the most popular post I’ve ever created is this one. It’s a little embarrassing lol

I’m not sure it’d even look “good” on a fiero. Like many of you have pointed out the fiero body lines are not square upfront. I drive a formula too.. so there is no visible grill at all.

I was searching for Datsun 280Z’s because my brother-in-law likes them.. and I saw the oil cooler mounted outside for the first time.
My initial reaction was to laugh and mock it… but it’s been slowly growing on me.
To me it’s not a flashy ego thing.. it’s more of a raw racing inspired thing. Kind of like how people will take a headlight out or bolt on wind splitters. Steven Synder’s fiero is a good example.. On a daily driven street car the wind splitter and giant wing look ridiculous.. make it a track car and people are ok with it…

Sure you can do it extremely tacky and make it look like **** (i.e. the WRX above).. but I do think it can look good imo
I’m not looking for my fiero to be a daily driven car. In fact it’ll probably rarely be driven. I’d like to take it around a track and maybe a few auto-crosses.. so I’m not too concerned with road debris.

Having said all of that…I was actually thinking I might throw a frozen boost behind a hood scoop and call it a day.

------------------
87 Fiero GT- 98 L67 swap - (SOLD)
88 Fiero Formula- L67 swap in progress
T-Top 672 of 1252

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't much care what it looks like so long as it serves a purpose - very much function > form. An external oil cooler on a Fiero would be a bit silly given the engine is in the back - it'd be a hell of a distance to travel to hang one off the front. OTOH back in the day external oil coolers (and goofy water-cooled conversions) were common on VWs in warmer climates - so hanging one off a Fiero's butt wouldn't be unprecedented.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock