Started on: 02-23-2016 08:13 PM
Replies: 20 (482 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 03-05-2016 10:53 AM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am at the beginning of doing an engine swap. Out with the 2.8, in with the 3800SC Series III from an 04 GTP. I currently have the engine on an engine stand, and have begun de-wiring, de-greasing, and getting rid of stuff no longer required.

Soon, it will be time for paint. I figured I would as for some ideas and opinions from others. I do know I am going to do the block, transmission and accessories in silver. I will do the pulleys, brackets and such in black. Lastly the super charger and valve covers I am doing body color (Vista Blue).

As far as the type of paint, I of course want something durable, and that can stand the heat in the engine compartment. I will be using a spray HPLV spray gun to apply the paint.

I have been debating between a gloss black, and a matte / satin black for the pulleys, brackets and such. My thinking is that the gloss black will be much harder to keep looking clean. Everything seems to show up on gloss black.

So any pointers on what type of paint (lacquers, urethane's), finish, or brand do people use for engines for the most part?

Any help is much appreciated!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2016 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used Duplicor engine enamel on the sc and valve covers over 8 years ago and are still holding up real well (aside from small chips and scratches I caused during the swap). I know you're intent is to use a spray gun, but this was a cheap and durable alternative for me so far.

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

spirit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2016 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used duplicolor on my 4.9 when it was installed an it has held up great.
fieroall

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2016 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How is the Isuzu holding up Jfrost?
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2016 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestions, it is appreciated. However, I am looking for something, as mentioned above, that I can shoot with my HVLP paint gun.

I did forget to mention that I also need primer recommendations as well. I know the paint needs to be for high heat parts, not as hot as brake caliper paint, but engine bay hot.

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2016 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Originally I did a silver block, silver blower, red valve covers, black brackets and accessories. However having a bright silver engine is not fun for a daily driver. The second time around I painted the block Pontiac blue. And the intake, exhaust and valve covers wrinkle black. I love it. I installed reflective insulation so my engine bay is very bright. Looks killer. Check out my build if you want.

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2016 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just thin out some rustoleum with mineral spirits and spray it. If you prep everything right, you don't need anything else. I have engine blocks I painted 10 years ago with a brush that still look new to this day
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2016 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroall:

How is the Isuzu holding up Jfrost?

It's a Muncie 4spd, not an Isuzu. So far the trans is ok, still need to fine tune the cable adjustments for better shifts.

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:

However having a bright silver engine is not fun for a daily driver. The second time around I painted the block Pontiac blue.

What was the problem, was it hard to keep it looking clean? I would think a dark color would show more dirt than the silver.... I most certainly could be wrong about that though!

viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've only ever painted blocks with rattle cans, but I will say this. The exhaust sees the majority of the heat. As long as your gaskets seal as intended, and you PREP the surfaces well, any paint should hold up well. The articles I've seen on engine rebuilds of show quality never seem to merit any particular paint, but they all detail proper surface prepping. As for color and dirt showing up, my mechanic suggested cleaning with Pledge brand cleaners. Yes, the home surface cleaner. It is surprisingly good at making one clean last much longer. Stuff just doesn't like to stick to it. Consider it your new engine wax
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, prep is 95% of any paint job, and at the top of my list. I have degreased the engine for the past 3 days straight LOL! As I work on the engine for an hour or two each day after work, I scrub, spray more degreaser, and pressure wash it off. The first time washing it, is when 85% of the grease came off, but when you go back, you find little areas, or remove more components, more seems to show up and needs to be removed.

Pledge... really? Interesting. I have always used it on my home electronics, keyboards, stereos and such to make them look new again, but never thought of it for an engine.... Will have to check it out, thanks for the tip!
PFF
System Bot
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And think about the lemony smell for all the people driving behind you ! LOL A win / win situation.
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I meant to add that prep also includes sanding all surfaces to promote adhesion. This will make it last as long as possible. Avoid prep time cleaners that leave a residue as well. I've been told that black paint helps dissipate heat better, but I can't confirm this.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do plan on sanding where I can get to, after it is completely clean and ready. Then one final rinse with a dawn and water solution, and then just straight water to leave a completely clean surface. I am also going to buy a few rattle cans of "Adhesion Promoter" and go over everything lightly with that first.

Any suggestions on using primer or not? I surprisingly have not seen mention of primer in any of the threads, or comments in this one.
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rust inhibiting primer would be smart for anything that isn't aluminum. If you're prepping very well, primer isn't totally needed. Just my experience. High zinc paint can serve the same purpose for anything prone to rusting. Outside of that, I would use primer to achieve thicker, smoother coats on any surfaces that are rougher.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2016 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the advice! I found a lot of information on YouTube, and wound up going with a PPG Urethane single stage paint. Also a Urethane Clear coat to follow up. I painted the Supercharger first, and am extremely happy with how it turned out! I am comfortable shooting with this, and will do the block and other parts with the same single stage paint process. This particular clear called for a 4 to 1 paint to hardener ratio. Speaking with the guy at the paint store, he said I could go with a 3 to 1 ratio for a harder and more durable clear coat, and that is exactly what I did.

You can check out the photo's of the Vista Blue Supercharger in my build thread, in my build thread, in THIS DIRECT LINK TO THE POST.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 03-01-2016).]

viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2016 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome job! Looks just like my blue car. Shame my white car is the one receiving the 3800 transplant.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a couple of nice looking Fieros for sure... I am leaning a bit more towards the blue one through
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2016 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I generally use Duplicolor engine paint for OEM colors. If Im doing something custom, like matching the cars paint, I just use automotive basecoat/clearcoat and it does as well, except they all burn a little around exhaust ports on the heads. Another trick I do if the engine is out, is go around it while the paint is almost dry, and in a well ventilated place, take a welding torch and run around it getting the paint and metal hot. It bakes it on almost as good as powder coating. Just dont get it close enough, or long enough in one place to burn it.

Gloss black is MUCH easier to keep clean than flat or semi gloss on things like brackets and pulleys. Looks nicer too. The only real time to use flats under the hood is doing a restoration to look original. Corvettes in some years have 5 different black degrees of gloss on various parts and judges will doc points for wrong ones in wrong places.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-04-2016).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2016 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info, I was leaning towards gloss black, and I guess that settles it then.

I did the Supercharger so far in the same paint as my car, have a look at the link a few posts back. I am happy with the results, and it was pretty simple to do. Thus, I am going to go with a silver base coat, and clear over the top of that for the engine and Transmission. Lastly a single stage black and clear over the top of that for all the pulleys, brackets, mounts and such.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2016 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its also not a bad idea to clearcoat polished aluminum pieces too, like valve covers, to keep them from tarnishing. I put a set of polished ones on one of my Corvettes and after using cleaner once on the engine, I ruined them. Ended up just scotchbriting them. I cleared the whole engine in my 05 Magnum with the aluminum 5.7 Hemi right after I got it, and it looked brand new 4 years later. My buddy who bought one right after me didnt and his engine looked like crap in a year.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock