Trunk Capacity-Wheelchair by michael67
Started on: 01-06-2016 08:30 PM
Replies: 20 (375 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 01-09-2016 11:58 AM
michael67

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael67Send a Private Message to michael67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know if the trunk behind the engine on a Fiero is big enough to hold a folding wheelchair? I'm actually hoping not. I haven't been able get them together to check and thought someone might have some experience they could share. Thanks for any help!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know off hand, but if you have the dimensions I can measure the trunk. I have a notchback and fastback on hand, though I think the trunks are the same dimensions
michael67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael67Send a Private Message to michael67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have the dimensions of the chair. I'll check on that. That would be great if you could the dimensions. I'm planning on buying a Fiero but don't want it to be a work car which it will be will be if a wheelchair will fit. Thanks!!
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not a lot of things, but lazy is one of them. Instead of walking up to the shop and busting out the measuring tape, I found this post

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...111-2-113029.html#p3

Originally posted by Old Lar
12x43 (trunk gasket to trunk gasket)x22 in deep at the top. The trunk was designed to hold two sets of golf clubs. These were the measurments for my 87 GT. The lower portion of the trunk is 34.5 inches wide with the front sloping down to 8 in at the bottom of the trunk.

The thing to remember is it's not a consistent dimension, it's basically the remaining space at the rear of the car aft of the engine. That means it has some irregular shapes and isn't a perfect square/rectangle/any discernible consistent shape.
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Idk about the wheelchair, but the person who was in in might not be able to get out of a fiero.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is NOT big enough. The wheels will fit...or the frame might fit if it folds flatter than the one we tried...but there is no way you are fitting the wheels and frame together in there. We ended up strapping the frame to the luggage rack.
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CowsPatoot

2792 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by gen2muchwork:
Idk about the wheelchair, but the person who was in in might not be able to get out of a fiero.

The coupe with a sunroof was not an issue for him since he could use the roof like a handle to pull himself up...but I had to help him out of the convertible.
michael67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael67Send a Private Message to michael67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

It is NOT big enough. The wheels will fit...or the frame might fit if it folds flatter than the one we tried...but there is no way you are fitting the wheels and frame together in there. We ended up strapping the frame to the luggage rack.

All I needed to hear. Thank you!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know about a wheel chair but I do know 2 50lb. bags of dog food fits in there nice, even with the blower shelf in there for my 86 SE with enough room on the shelf to the drivers side for a case of cokes or beer or whatever.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-07-2016).]

michael67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael67Send a Private Message to michael67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Don't know about a wheel chair but I do know 2 50lb. bags of dog food fits in there nice, even with the blower shelf in there for my 86 SE with enough room on the shelf to the drivers side for a case of cokes or beer or whatever.

Steve

Lol if I ever have a client that rides around on two 50 pound bags of dog food I'll take that into account.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure that different wheelchairs fold up into different sizes, but perhaps you could send 85SEnochie a PM. He's a member here who uses a wheelchair and drives a Fiero.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I own a Fiero, Have a wheel chair here and even worked for a medical supply company at one time.

Now with that I can tell you a normal chair will not fit. Even with the leg steps removed it is too large for the trunk.

Now with that said if someone needed to fit one in they may be able to find a light weight athletic chair or even have one made. Neither would be cheap and unlikely would be covered under any medical plan.

I have seen some people who used these smaller chairs and were able to slip them in the back seat because they are small and cut down.

The Chair I have here is of standard nature and it will not fit no matter what way it goes in.
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:
Now with that said if someone needed to fit one in they may be able to find a light weight athletic chair or even have one made.

The one we tried was a titanium and carbon fiber athletic chair. The owner had a Honda Civic, and would lift the chair over himself and into the passenger seat...but we couldn't get the frame anywhere in a Fiero (we didn't try the passenger seat...Gary had to sit there since the car wasn't set up for hand controls).

revin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 01-08-2016).]

michael67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael67Send a Private Message to michael67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

The one we tried was a titanium and carbon fiber athletic chair. The owner had a Honda Civic, and would lift the chair over himself and into the passenger seat...but we couldn't get the frame anywhere in a Fiero (we didn't try the passenger seat...Gary had to sit there since the car wasn't set up for hand controls).

Like I said before, it benefits me more if I cannot fit a chair.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michael67:

Like I said before, it benefits me more if I cannot fit a chair.

It won't fit then

rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a trailer hitch and a modify a bicycle carrier.
michael67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michael67Send a Private Message to michael67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:

Get a trailer hitch and a modify a bicycle carrier.

I don't want to be able to carry the chair 😀
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I'll take a bite at this since no one else has.....

Why don't you want the chair to fit?
michael67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michael67Send a Private Message to michael67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

So I'll take a bite at this since no one else has.....

Why don't you want the chair to fit?

I can't really say why exactly. It will help me avoid something at work that I don't want to do.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michael67:

I can't really say why exactly. It will help me avoid something at work that I don't want to do.

Ah. I see.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock