Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What ever happen to all the Fiero Clubs? (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What ever happen to all the Fiero Clubs? by RotrexFiero
Started on: 12-28-2015 04:27 PM
Replies: 118 (1652 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 01-04-2016 10:35 PM
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the people in our club have move onto other things, membership/participation died to nothing. Some of us still get together as friends. There are still a few hard core owners here in Edmonton, but I am not really one of them anymore (still have our 88 and still spend time with it) and would probably get together with others if someone was to set something up.
IP: Logged
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2015 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

The Ghoul loved the DGP also. Rick B

haha classic... that needs to be entered into the Fiero stores photo's for the calendar for next year
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
" It is socially irresponsible to own sports cars, that is just a fact. More pollutants going into the air makes the quality worse, LA used to be awful before emissions standards. The world would be better off if every person used a form of public transportation instead of their own personal car."

Thats about the funniest thing ive heard in a while. I can make a better argument that its irresponsible to drive full size SUVs. Theres millions of them, usually with larger engines, weigh 5000 pnds, lucky to get 20mpg and rarely have more than 1 or 2 people in them . Makes a lot more sense for the person driving to work by himself to drive there in a 2500 pnd Corvette that gets 30mpg, than his 3 ton Cadillac Escalade. THATS the fact. I dont know about the public transportation statement, it would cut down on crowded highways/streets, but all those people that were in their cars would require a LOT more buses. I think that would be a huge increase in pollution myself. Cities around the world, like Tokyo, are just as polluted with the large majority of commuters using bikes and public trans.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2015 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:

It is socially irresponsible to own sports cars, that is just a fact. More pollutants going into the air makes the quality worse, LA used to be awful before emissions standards. The world would be better off if every person used a form of public transportation instead of their own personal car.

I think current trends are a good compromise between social responsibility and individual happiness. "

I think you are off your rocker.. and here is why..
1) most sports cars are well maintained , They tend to be over maintained to the point of always running correctly
2) most are not driven tons of miles, and are used for enjoyment
3) following up on #2 they are driven at times of low traffic 90% of the time, unlike a daily driver that may spend 40% of it's running time idling away, when engines are their dirtiest ..
4)most are kept on the road twice as long as the econo-box, saving the energy it takes to build it's replacement,

now lets move to the 2nd half of your statement,
"[b The world would be better off if every person used a form of public transportation instead of their own personal car.
[/b]]
"

How so,?? city buses are 8mpg at a steady rate something they don't do going 100 yards then stoping and then repeat .. Sure when it is full it might be less of an inpack, but what about the off hours when it's running around empty or with 2 people on it, this would only be worse if they had to have enough units on the roads at all time to cover 90 times the riders they do now..
subways, run on electric power, and that is made from coal ,mostly.
Never mind the equipment is not maintained well, only good enough to keep it on the routes..
Rail, (trains) loose money, and are limited, so the person ends up getting in a cab or bus outside the station..

That is just a start..
vehicles are not the global warming monster they are scapegoated out to be,, never have been..
but there is huge money in claiming it, the b/s that these epa regs, forced the cleaner air is hog wash, The better mpg would've come on it's own, as one company made a higher rated one, they all try to out do the next ..
Emmison controls have made MPg worse,,, ask anyone that moved to cali and had to have the car they brought with them updated to cali emissions, lost of 3-4mpg is not uncommon..
now lets move to ETHANOL..
how do greenies sleep at night, adding a burnable item to a fuel that has less BTU's that causes you to burn more fuel per mile than if you had 100% straight gas.. doesn't make clean air,, you burn more fuel, so more has to be produced, shipped, trucked, wasting more energy all so they can say the end user emissions is a little lower PPM (per part million) but they have to burn 10% more fuel to get the same distance.. oops.. PPM x gallons burned / mile traveled and it's not cleaner..
The greenies will point to the L.A. smog, and how it's so much better and it's because of emission regs on vehicles... it is not.. All the industry that was there got outsourced so it's not there anymore, but that little tid bit is swept under the rug,,,

A 1974 Plymouth duster with the slant 6 got 35mpg.. new cars and all this crap hasn't done, crap..
Imagine if the government mandates didn't add 1000 pounds to vehicles. what they get for MPG..
1985 Pontiac t/a or Camaro 3200-3300 pounds....
2014 Camaro, with an all alum engine and rear end, and under pinning parts. and they are 4200-4400 pounds..
my 1974 duster was 2800 lb's.. and sat 6

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

haha classic... that needs to be entered into the Fiero stores photo's for the calendar for next year

You don't know the half of it.

The Ghoul was pretty bizarre. I have a Ghoul Barf Bag he used to pass out at appearances.

As a host he would over dub movies with comments or audio clips of music and other old movies. It made the bad movies better. He mostly shows old sifi movies from the 50's,

He would blow things up on the air including the rubber frog. He takes in a beatnik way.

The original show was from the 60's where Ernie Anderson the was local before he went on to become the voice of ABC (He was the guy that would say ABC or Next is the Love Boat} He call it Ghoulardi. He left it to Ron who become the Ghoul in the 70's on another channel. The original show was taken over by two other guys Big Chuck and Hoolihan. Both were real popular. Then we had Super Host who did a show on another Channel. He was this wimpy looking news guy that became Super Host. He would dress up like a woman and do his own videos like the Moronic Woman his take on the Bionic woman. It was him in a wig lipstick and boobs in his super host suit.

There was a lot of odd but funny TV. These were shows that were on late night that filled in with things that you did not expect to ever see on TV in those days.

Many of the things they did got carried over to major things in Hollywood. Tim Conway was on Ghoulardi and Big Chuck often as were others like the Three Stoogies and some big names you would never expect. They would take stars that visited the station and make videos with them,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34c4k23JNTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAVzZ-vkgik

Here is the Ghoul https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoiU6uOTkvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnTmlsAG_T4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YOC-Gf8vQ

While many cities had similar shows like Elvira etc these were some of the first that originated this and some of the most remembered. Big Chuck even though he is not doing the movie thing still has a show that replays their skits on Saturday afternoons. I think he has been on the air for around 50 years in some way. His co host is Little John a Midget Jeweler from here in Cleveland. They have made a great pair.

Little John even went to a Cincinnati Press Conference not long ago to ask questions of the coach Marvin Lewis after he made comments about calling Mazel of the Browns a midget. He really got kind of messed up till someone filled him in it was a joke. They used to do things like this all the time. Lewis did well and had a good laugh after once he found out what was going on. I guess one of the players on the team from Cleveland filled him in later.

http://fox8.com/2014/12/10/...ziel-midget-comment/

Note a lot of Parma Jokes about a local city we have named Parma. This is where Drew Cary is from and where his Parma Jokes came from. Pink Flamingos and bowling were all part of the gag. Lots of Polish people lived there and they did their own Polish Jokes long before they got popular in the 70's Keeping in mind many like Big Chuck were Polish doing the Jokes. He would play Stosh and make a video of Polish jokes but they would call them Stoshes

Yes in the old days there may have been some drinking involved.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 12-31-2015).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Central VA FIERO owners club was established simply as a rallying point for FIERO owners in our area. No "formal" meetings, no dues, no trophies events etc. We have a few chosen 'gathering point' events such as cruise in's and certain car shows that support charities like the Wounded Warrior Project. It has been a struggle to get more than three members together at any time for any event for a number of reasons the biggest being that life gets in the way. (Work-family-more work). Others have moved on to other vehicles like corvettes, mopars or mustangs and the FIEROS have been scrapped, parked or simply no longer receive any "love".

In our area we have a large number of FIERO on the road but the owners show no interest in participating in any type of a "club". I know I have personally talked to and invited over a dozen owners who say they will send in a picture of their car, then they don't. What's really frustrating is when you run into them later and find out they sold or junked the car because they couldn't find anyone to help them with a problem they were having. Who better to ask for help than another club member? Recently our club founder relocated to Arizona but he has offered to keep the club page running. We have lost another member to the Corvette group so we are also struggling but we will continue to recruit new members and promote our annual pilgrimage to CARLISLE for the GM NATIONALS and support the MAFOA. Our more active members are also members of MAFOA - Great newsletter - Carlisle is a must do - they also run a couple of other "FIERO gatherings" but I have not been able to attend those.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL this thread.

How much more off topic can it get? OP asked a simple question and it's gone three pages way off into the deep end already.

FFS, people. It has nothing to do with Nazis, or Obama, or global warming or any of the politically/racially charged hatred that fills this thread. Rather, that hatred is part of the reason why there is so much less enthusiasm for the Fiero any more. When young people come on this forum and read all this crap coming from the older folks, they just don't want to hear the nonsense or deal with it. Combined with the fact that there are fewer and fewer Fieros on the road every year, Pontiac is no more, the car being a Pontiac only chassis, poor availability of stock replacement parts, and an ever-decreasing number of after market vendors, and you have little interest for even owning such a fiscally irresponsible car, let alone interest in maintaining clubs across the country that are specific to the car.

Frankly it is sad that people will refuse to pay even the most modest of yearly dues for a club specific to the car, when one exists. it's almost as sad as this thread is, so full of owners, mostly in their older age, seeking to blame anyone and anything other than themselves, for the lack of clubs across the country. You all are the reason there are so few clubs left for the Fiero. Not Obama. Not China. Not California. Not Nazi Germany. Not the kids today. You. Us. Everyone on this forum who doesn't actively support having a local club in some manner, is to blame for there not being a local club.

Get off your collective asses and form the clubs that aren't where you are.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is socially irresponsible to own sports cars, that is just a fact. More pollutants going into the air makes the quality worse, LA used to be awful before emissions standards. The world would be better off if every person used a form of public transportation instead of their own personal car.

LOL

Spoken like a true politically correct tree hugger.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

LOL

Spoken like a true politically correct tree hugger.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Love it!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by Raydar:
I'm 58 and I don't leave anything alone. Nobody in our club seems to mind.
We have a mix of "preservationists" and customizers.

One guy even had his "rat-rodded". While it wasn't exactly my (or others') cup of tea, we all jumped in and helped with some needed repairs.

Wow you are a young kid!
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the off topic. Watch here and you will see Ghoulardi and mostly The Ghoul made the others start up their shows all over the US. Rick B

http://www.snagfilms.com/fi...title/american_scary
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Most of the people in our club have move onto other things, membership/participation died to nothing.

Had a similar thing years ago with a computer club. Once we folded we heard...

"Why?" (from people who stopped coming)
"That's too bad. It was a valuable resource.."
"Sorry to hear that. I heard it was very good."
"Oh, I was JUST going to join this year..." etc.

These days, people who run into a problem with their Fiero manage to find us.
But after we help them get fixed up and driving, we never hear from them again...

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This ^ ^ ^

And ownership is very divided.

You have the original crowd and the modified crowd and other than the Fiero name itself, neither seem to have interest in forming a single coalition.

Its almost as if they each dislike the other.

Nah I don't see it that way. May be the GTO and Old Pontiac owners, but not the Fiero crowd. That's what I like about the Fiero crowd. They like all conditions of Fieros. At least here in Michigan.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

LOL

Is there a way I can put this in a signature line?

Although I would also add in there "the status quo" or "follow the leader" or something else with the same effect.

Getting back to the topic, I guess with all the car clubs, both local and national, that I belong to perhaps I just haven't landed that one where everyone sits around the campfire and sings Kumbaya.

How true. Global warming and all the other liberal crap.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Nah I don't see it that way. May be the GTO and Old Pontiac owners, but not the Fiero crowd. That's what I like about the Fiero crowd. They like all conditions of Fieros. At least here in Michigan.

Yeah, for some reason Ohio and Michigan have always been extremely strong on Fieros.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the greatest enemy of clubs for years were personalities. Too often just as we see on this web site personalities clash and bring a club crashing down. It as nothing to so with age or modified or stock.

The personalities thing split off the one group here.

Then you add to the mix the web.

Also many clubs are poorly run for many reason.

Finally there are a lot of little things that contribute. I would not just say hate but the simple fact is to fix up many Fieros cost more than they are worth right now. That is a problem for many cars and why many people are reluctant to invest in restoring one. Even old Camaros from the 80's see the same issues.

The fact is there are only a handful of cars from the 80's worth putting money into right now. This could change as time passes.

Remember those old cars I bough back in the 80's were worth nothing for many years and once demand out grew supply things changed. Now the Fiero is not going to make you rich but I expect at some point it will be a car you will not lose money on if you have a clean original, well restored or well built modified car. That is to day if you painted it in your driveway and bugs are in the paint don't expect much.

We are seeing movement in the stock low mile car as well as some well built modified cars now. This trend should continue.

But if you look around most clubs today are small I saw how many cars went to the Chevelle nationals and it was only a little over 100 cars. The Fiero clubs that are out there now generally are doing better than many others. Even our local Camaro Club is no where as large as it used to be.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There used to be a West Michigan Fiero club. But that died. They had meetings on Wednesday and it was tough as I have choir practice that night. Vince tried to resurrect something similar to it a couple of years ago but we didn't get any one that is really serious about it. Heck I have 4-5 Fieros in a mile radius of my place. No one wants to get involved. I understand about car clubs having been one of the founders of the West Michigan Camaro Club. And President to many times. It takes a lot of work. I also helped with the West Michigan Trans Am club got them into the Pontiac dealer I worked at and was president for a few years. That to fazed out. For some reason the Fiero owners in West Michigan do not want to be involved in a club. I see the Lansing Club and the Michigan Fiero Club based in the Eastern part of Michigan are still rolling along. Lots of Fieros in West Michigan but most don't want to do anything other than own a Fiero.
Luke

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2015 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LukeClick Here to visit Luke's HomePageSend a Private Message to LukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We still do cruises with 6 to 15 cars, one fella comes up from New York. Its all about having people to organize and ppl who like to get together, OHNIKO puts those together and we enjoy them. I used to be VP of a large jbody club 10years ago. So I can tell you that it takes a lot of time and sometimes your own money so people tend to give up on it. We also hit car shows in groups of 4 to 8 cars, its all about getting together and shooting the poop and having fun regardless of what your taste is.

We always cruise down for the anniversary shows and sometimes Carlisle, Fiero people are generally a fun, friendly and mature bunch. There's just fewer of these cars around, so a decline is natural. On the flipside I got a ton of positive comments regarding the car from both the older nostalgic crowd and the younger ppl who don't know what the heck it is
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I take the bus to and from work every day. I never drive to work. In fact I rarely drive during the week at all. Does that mean I get to own three sports cars as a reward?

Originally posted by dobey:
How much more off topic can it get? OP asked a simple question and it's gone three pages way off into the deep end already.

...and since I would then own three Fieros, I could start my own Fiero club. I'd be the only member, but that's ok since it would keep the mileage low on those nasty sports cars. How was that for pulling it back on topic, dobey?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

...and since I would then own three Fieros, I could start my own Fiero club. I'd be the only member, but that's ok since it would keep the mileage low on those nasty sports cars.

I've got three driveable Fieros. Can I join your club? We could then say we both belong to a Fiero club that's (almost) Canada wide.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

LOL this thread.

FFS, people. It has nothing to do with Nazis, or Obama, or global warming or any of the politically/racially charged hatred that fills this thread. Rather, that hatred is part of the reason why there is so much less enthusiasm for the Fiero any more. When young people come on this forum and read all this crap coming from the older folks, they just don't want to hear the nonsense or deal with it. Combined with the fact that there are fewer and fewer Fieros on the road every year, Pontiac is no more, the car being a Pontiac only chassis, poor availability of stock replacement parts, and an ever-decreasing number of after market vendors, and you have little interest for even owning such a fiscally irresponsible car, let alone interest in maintaining clubs across the country that are specific to the car.

Frankly it is sad that people will refuse to pay even the most modest of yearly dues for a club specific to the car, when one exists. it's almost as sad as this thread is, so full of owners, mostly in their older age, seeking to blame anyone and anything other than themselves, for the lack of clubs across the country. You all are the reason there are so few clubs left for the Fiero. Not Obama. Not China. Not California. Not Nazi Germany. Not the kids today. You. Us. Everyone on this forum who doesn't actively support having a local club in some manner, is to blame for there not being a local club.

Get off your collective asses and form the clubs that aren't where you are.

There is much truth here but I doubt that the youth is staying away from the Fiero hobby because of the bickering that sometimes goes on here. Have you ever tried visiting one of the Japanese car forums; talk about strong opinions; this forum is mild by comparison. As I said before; all hobbies have seen a decline in interest, mainly due to economic conditions. You need disposable income to fund any hobby and the Millinnials, even the college grads, can't find decent paying jobs, if any at all. This generation can't even buy a home. If and when the economy comes out of a rut and our decimated industrial base is rebuilt, then you will see a resurgence in hobbies. Until that point and with few jobs (save for burger flippers) this will remain largely a middle age persons hobby.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2016 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

There is much truth here but I doubt that the youth is staying away from the Fiero hobby because of the bickering that sometimes goes on here. Have you ever tried visiting one of the Japanese car forums; talk about strong opinions; this forum is mild by comparison. As I said before; all hobbies have seen a decline in interest, mainly due to economic conditions. You need disposable income to fund any hobby and the Millinnials, even the college grads, can't find decent paying jobs, if any at all. This generation can't even buy a home. If and when the economy comes out of a rut and our decimated industrial base is rebuilt, then you will see a resurgence in hobbies. Until that point and with few jobs (save for burger flippers) this will remain largely a middle age persons hobby.

a lot of it, is everything is non serviceable , so dads, don't tinker with stuff around the house having jr. looking on..
Another part of it is, vehicles don't need the services done that they used to, back in the day, tune ups were every 15-20k, belts, coolant change, brakes, water pumps, you name it so jr. might be beside dad as he worked on the family car.. often.. where as for 15+ years, vehicles need not much other than oil changes till 100k + .
of course many more kids grow up with no at home dad.. so, the watching/helping dad doesn't even happen..
So, many have no "connection" to mechanical things.. One of the down sides to new cars.... no need to crack open the hood.. The lack of a full time dad is an other..

Hard for kids to work toward buying a vehicle, as most those jobs dried up... Parents are so concerned about their own life, and love life as most are single, that the kids want of a vehicle so they can get out of parents prying eyes, isn't needed anymore..
hanging with their friends is a 3x4 inch screen away..
Hard for a kid to have a car and pay insurance, when they can't get a job..
much of that problem is part what I said above jobs drying up, (paper routes,raking ,mowing, etc.. and then the jobs they work once old enough, are filled with people that should be retired, but are not..
either because they can't or because now that they can earn money at a job and still get s.s. check.. keep working,

Like wall street, the car hobby needs a "correction" so those that do want to be part of the hobby can afford to be,
Lets face it, when a machine shop quotes 2600 to rebuild a small block chevy, basic rebuild, and you can get a new one from g.m. for 1900.00
many of the services to the hobby, have not adjusted for the economy down turn, and then talk about everyone dropping in a crate engine or a junkyard take out..
same with body work,, a shop that takes what the insurance industry will pay them.. 26-28 bucks an hour,, will charge a guy that wants a few dents fixed and a paint job.. 70.oo+ an hour..

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2016 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The bickering that the younger crowd does on car forums is very different than the bickering on here. You're pretty much proving my point with your comments that generalize all the younger crowd as somehow incredibly poor, and with no opportunities. This is a horrible generalization that is just false. There are plenty of decent paying jobs in the world to be had. The economy is not still as bad as you think it is. None of these things you mentioned are reasons why there are fewer and fewer Fiero clubs. They are however, simply poor excuses in trying to find someone or something else to blame, other than ourselves.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Like wall street, the car hobby needs a "correction" so those that do want to be part of the hobby can afford to be,
Lets face it, when a machine shop quotes 2600 to rebuild a small block chevy, basic rebuild, and you can get a new one from g.m. for 1900.00
many of the services to the hobby, have not adjusted for the economy down turn, and then talk about everyone dropping in a crate engine or a junkyard take out..
same with body work,, a shop that takes what the insurance industry will pay them.. 26-28 bucks an hour,, will charge a guy that wants a few dents fixed and a paint job.. 70.oo+ an hour..

There was a market correction back in 2008. 1965 GTO convertibles were hitting highs of $125,000.00 prior to 2008, shortly after, nice rotisserie restored units could be had for as low as $45,000.00. The hobby is back on the upswing.

The rest of your quoted statement falls under that, "it's the economy stupid" saying. Face it, would you work today for what you made when you were in your teens? Absolutely not! Everything goes up, s hit rolls downhill, the end user is at the bottom of that hill and unfortunately has to pay or stay on the porch. It has always been that way.

As far as people not having the "play money" to afford the old car hobby, that's bull. In my business I can tell you with full experience that the general population never has money for what they need but they always has money for what they want. If they want it they will buy it. The "want" isn't there like it use to be.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buying power. $1 doesn't buy much, anymore. If you made $10/hour in your teens, you could buy a lot more. Gas was less than $1/gallon. For $10, it was possible to have a meal for a family of 4. People valued a dollar, because they knew it was hard to get. They had to start off making a bit, and work their way up. They drove a car that they had to work on constantly to keep running. 4 tires cost $160 of less.

Adding ethanol to gasoline caused grain prices to rise, driving up costs of corn, bread, etc. Milk went up. Ciggarettes went up. Inflation increased. Plastic purchased replaced paper currency. No one will drive a ”junker” anymore. Tires cost $150 or more, each. Debt became the acceptable norm. Uncle Sam tightened his screws and put bigger hooks in out pocketbooks. Income is now taxed. Almost 30 cents on the dollar goes to taxes, because we exported our economy. Then healthcare became mandatory and unaffordable.

The American dream is becoming the European nightmare.

If you believe the economy is good, invest money in the US economy, buy real estate, and put your money into bonds, CDs, IRAs, and bank savings accounts. Play the stock market.

Whatever you figure it cost, when the Fiero was new, I could've saved $20,000 in 6 months. On paper, I'm now paid more, but my dollar doesn't go as far. I only paid a fraction of that for my used Fiero in 2013, and it took me 4 years to save up for it. A 1967 GTO didn't cost $45,000 when it was new.

Club dues used to be 25 cents. It's now $20, I think. Actually, at 25 cents, we were a wealthy club. We were able to afford to do a lot of things, but it was a lot of work. For example, we cleared a field of trees and things, in exchange for the use of the field while it settled (5 years). They paid us probably about $20 per person per day. We showed up with dynamite, chainsaws, and bulldozers. We cut down the trees, and sold them to the lumber mills. We got paid to haul the logs. What the sawmills wouldn't buy, we sold for firewood. We were paid for the firewood, then paid to split it. We removed the stumps with dynamite. We took what was left to a mosquito-ridden swampy area, where we arranged to clear it for a fee. We filled it in and burned it off. The mess smoked for 3 weeks. We drained it, and somehow it ended up as a pigpen that we leased. We arranged to provide the manure for another fee. On the original field, we leveled it, and over the next 4 years, leased it to farmers, sporting events, etc. We were paid to be the labor for these events. We pocketed everything but the lease fees, which funded the club's activities. We bought a 20-something thousand square foot warehouse, which we used during some months, but leased out the rest of the year. I think we would have had to have been 18 or so to do most of that, now.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the great things about this forum is we can discuss common interests, which includes the Fiero. And I think Rick linked it up well with his DGP and the Ghoul. Yes, its a local thing for us. But the thing about clubs is that the Fiero is not the only thing most of us have in common. Can you imagine the boring conversation? As soon as we deviate from Fiero topic, someone chimes in saying "Hey...keep it on topic." I think this is a pretty good thread and a good read. Anyways................

This forum is a great place for getting together and talking Fieros and many other OT stuff. But I think this forum is a very small sample of the people out there that own Fieros. We do have a lot of people here in NE Ohio that own Fieros, and I have met many. But most of them are not on the forum. Some even say they never heard of Pennocks, which I find kinda hard to believe, but hey who am I to say. So to say that this forum is driving people from the hobbie is pretty far fetched IMO. If anything it binds us. Sure there are the asshats out there but for the most part, this forum is a great place. Just have to filter some of the BS and take the good with the bad. I think we do a great job with helping out people with their cars. Posting tutorials, build threads and just basic tech advice.

I think we are moving past the "club" concept. We can get a lot of the information via the web. That is where it has to stem from. Then get together with cruise-ins etc., and do the fellowship thing. But I really like what NIFE does with how they have spread out more regional. Its interesting seeing how they have adapted over the years.

That's all I got for now...getting late/early...err...

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ever happen to all the Fiero Clubs?

There are still quite a few:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094690.html

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

What ever happen to all the Fiero Clubs?

There are still quite a few:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094690.html

How many are active, such that they have a local activity of their club at least twice per year? As stated in prior posts, no one responds to several of those; others no longer even have a working web page.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

How many are active, such that they have a local activity of their club at least twice per year? As stated in prior posts, no one responds to several of those; others no longer even have a working web page.

If they are on the list and dont have a working page let me know I will remove them from the list.

A problem now is Facebook VS PFF and websites, battle of information and sites and contact info.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-04-2016).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been unable to get a reply to emails from either MO group. I posted this previously, and the reply was that it worked in a different browser. Emails won't be returned as undeliverable based on the browser used. Several others have posted the same problem. I've sent from several email providers. Yes, both pages are there, but no updates to anything but the copyright since 2013 or so.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I've been unable to get a reply to emails from either MO group. I posted this previously, and the reply was that it worked in a different browser. Emails won't be returned as undeliverable based on the browser used. Several others have posted the same problem. I've sent from several email providers. Yes, both pages are there, but no updates to anything but the copyright since 2013 or so.

I replied to this in the other thread just now.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...4690-2.html#lastpost
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been reading things here and there and not just on PFF, about Fiero get-togethers that never materialized, Fiero clubs and where did they go, and why?

I'll look at some of the more local groups, Southeastern, to be a little more precise. I can't address personal issues like family matters and finances of the members or internal club issues, but just the things that really stood out to me that in my opinion made clubs go away.

Alabama Fieros, South Carolina or Palmetto State Fieros, Tar Heels or NC Fiero clubs. At one time, all these were blossoming and active clubs. Tar Heels disappeared for unknown reasons, but what I saw is that the state is very large, east to west. Meetings weren't centrally located. That makes it difficult for those in Robbinsville or Murphy to get to Fayettville, for example. NCFieros seemed to have gone the same way. Lots of Fieros in NC and lots of good knowledgeable folks, but when something was organized, only a few show up. There were 5 or 6 from Ga. Fieros that drove up to Asheville to meet with them and we outnumbered the NC folks. Spirit has made a number of attempts over the years to have a big rally. I don't know how successful he's been, but I don't think it's ever reached a dozen attendees. The first Fiero meet-and-greet I ever attended was in Hickory. Fours one way. Probably 20 cars. The bonus was that I got to meet one hell of a great guy. Jack Cooke. There were others, but he's always stood out. He even drove to Atlanta several times a year to participate in Georgia Fieros stuff.

South Carolina is the same, distancewise as is Alabama and Tennessee. It's a long way between Greenville, Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head. Nothing is centrally located and no one wants to drive more than a half hour. In the past, I've even seen some offer to host a get together at their home because they didn't want to drive an hour or so to meet up with others. There was always a good turnout at the 3 or 4 Columbia meetings that Georgia Fieros attended, but it seems that once meetings were moved away from Columbia, attendance dwindled and eventually disappeared.

Georgia Fieros is suffering from the same malaise. We've generally catered to the northern half of Georgia and have been lucky to have members from all states that touch Georgia, Florida excepted. If we Fiero entusiasts want to have clubs and meets, we have to get out and be willing to go to one instead of waiting for one to come to us. Certainly your family can spare you one day out of the month, the cost of a couple tanks of fuel, and the cost of a burger and fries. The only variable cost would be the burger and fries if you bring a family member or friend.

Dopn't make a New Years Resolution to attend more Fiero events. We know those resolutions are never kept. Just Do It. Find an event, get your butt up off the sofa and plant it in the Fiero and go when someone tries to organize a meet. It's the only way we will survive as a group.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-04-2016 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
Dopn't make a New Years Resolution to attend more Fiero events. We know those resolutions are never kept. Just Do It. Find an event, get your butt up off the sofa and plant it in the Fiero and go when someone tries to organize a meet. It's the only way we will survive as a group.

This. But, even if you can't attend in a Fiero, go. Drive your 4x4, Prius, or whatever you have that is drivable, and show up. You don't have to drive a Fiero to an event to show up and have a good time with Fiero owners. My car has been sitting in my garage for 4.5 years, and I still show up to our club's monthly meetings, whether it's a car show, go karts, or just a meeting to grab lunch and BS about Fieros. You don't have to put your car in a show to hang out and enjoy the company. Just Go Do it.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I never took my car as I did not want to take mine into Cleveland at night.

It was not my area and if I had an issue I did not want to be out some where I was an hour from home and no know what was around me. If it were day light at least I could figure things out on the car if something let go. That is why I go long distances to show in the day time and not at night.

I just took one of the other cars or trucks and went.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 01-04-2016).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@dobey. We have had regular club meetings when no one drove their Fiero. Even ownership isn't required to be a member.
U
@HyperV6. Could you not get help from those you just attended a meeting with? If not it doesn't sound like a very cohesive group.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-04-2016 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

@dobey. We have had regular club meetings when no one drove their Fiero. Even ownership isn't required to be a member.

Sure. Same in our club here. I was agreeing with you, just pointing out that people shouldn't be afraid to attend meetings because they aren't in a Fiero. I know it's been an issue in the past at least, for some people, that they think they shouldn't attend because their Fiero is garaged for repair or they don't own a Fiero. Just saying for people to get off their butts and attend the meetings. We don't care what you come in. Just come and be an active part of the group, ask questions about repairs that need to be done, about a Fiero you're looking at buying, or just share knowledge when others ask those questions.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

@HyperV6. Could you not get help from those you just attended a meeting with? If not it doesn't sound like a very cohesive group.

Club had gotten to where about 5 people showed up. My self was President , fiduciary, and was taking over much of the other duties. People were complaining but no one wanted to do anything. I called it the way it was and that hurt feelings. Many thought it was a club and I was just supposed to be quiet. I took much of the brunt the last two years for speaking out. It was finally decided to close the club as you cannot sustain a club with no more than 5 people at meetings for about 2 years maybe more. It was a great club when it was running well. Many still get together but the do not invite me to anything. Everyone had something to say but no one wanted to do anything. Clubs cannot survive like that. Many complained to me and others refused to listen. I was happy to take the brunt of it as many others would have and did crack when the pressure was on them. I even came back as President when no one wanted it and then took over when one quit. I know I did my part at least. Rick B

[This message has been edited by SuperchargedV6 (edited 01-04-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

The Ghoul loved the DGP also. Rick B

I'm sorry guys but this picture is just wrong on soooo many levels.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get together and have fun, go out to eat, cruise a good road, etc. Get the word out and eventually a few folks get a name and can call themselves a club if they want, I think people may make it more work than it needs to be, or meet too often, etc.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock