exhaust for the Iron Duke. by danielsjc20
Started on: 04-27-2015 06:07 PM
Replies: 8 (552 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 04-29-2015 10:01 AM
danielsjc20

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for danielsjc20Send a Private Message to danielsjc20Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. I hope this is in the right area. Just became an owner of a 1984 2m4 se. Have to replace the starter. So since it looks like the easiest way to do this is drop the exhaust system, I figure I would replace the old exhaust from manifold to tips. Want a high flow system and could use some suggestions on the best sounding lowest restriction to use on the ol' Iron Duke. Any thought?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GT dual exhaust bolts on from the cat back. The Fiero Sore sells the ocelot exhaust system too.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

The GT dual exhaust bolts on from the cat back.

With that it helps to have a rear bumper with dual cutouts for the exhaust tips.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The so called dual exhaust can be fitted to any Fiero since the Cat is in the same place regardless. I say so called dual because it's not a true dual system, only one line out of the cat to the muffler with two tips coming out the muffler.

My 84 Indy came with dual from the factory. It makes it louder, not necessarily better. At Idle it's decent, but at speed it's just an annoying drone. As for low restriction, my recommendation is don't bother. The duke likes some restriction and it's not like you are going to gain any horsepower. You are rocking less than 100 hp no matter how you slice it.

As for the Ocelot, I've not heard much good about it. It's mild steel and will rust away quickly. Given the iron duke there will be no performance gain so I would say don't buy the Ocelot.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-28-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by danielsjc20:

Have to replace the starter.

Make sure you replace it with one of the later model, smaller, lighter starters. There are several threads about this in the forum. (HERE's one.) The weight saving will give more of performance boost to your duke than any "dual-exhaust" swap. Seriously.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-28-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, the original cat is very heavy, replace it with one from Rodney Dickman Fiero parts.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I do the starter on my 84, I drop the starter down, slide it across the top of the exhaust system to the passenger side and move it around until it comes out. You'll have to try different ways to do this, but it can be done. Easier than messing with the exhaust system.

As mentioned above get a starter for a GM 3800 you'll love it. Smaller, lighter and so much easier, it goes up around the pipes, and fits right in.
danielsjc20

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for danielsjc20Send a Private Message to danielsjc20Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea of the lighter starter, so just ask for a 3800 start from like a 90's Buick Grand National. As far as the exhaust right now is to remove the cat completely. This is a OBD I car and only has an upstream O2. I think I will do a midgrade performance muffler like a Thrush or a Sonic. Just a little throatier sound.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will be really loud without a cat (personal experience here).

For a coupe, look for tips from an '85SE (V6) or the whole exhaust. Those tips don't have the megaphones as the 85SE V6 is a coupe, no Aero package, same as '84 body... just my opinion. I used this setup on my '87 coupe (it looked like a Formula).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock