Started on: 04-08-2015 11:05 PM
Replies: 9 (734 views)
Last post by: Monkeyman on 04-13-2015 07:34 PM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the best aftermarket shifter (5 spd if it matters). Shortest throw, shortest length?

I don't necessarily need/want a chrome shaft but if that's what it takes to get the best shifter, I can always paint it.

I don't have a big preference on shifter knob, either. The plain black ones are kinda cool but a nicely recovered stock knob isn't bad although the lower part of the stock knob is a bit deep for my taste.

Here are the 3 I've considered so far.
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=36&products_id=38
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=36&products_id=39
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=36&products_id=43
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great looking and if I went that way, I'd go here. Still not sure I like the stock look but not out of the question.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2015 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Fiero Store aluminum short shifter in my car. It's OK, but it's a bit bulky, and it's a two piece setup with a set screw, which is a little bit annoying. I wouldn't recommend it.

I thought Rodney had an "Ultimate Short Shift Kit" before, but I don't see it on the site any more. The Comp II he has is probably the best one you could get.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All of mine have been purchased from member, GTXBULLET:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

$45.00 shipped
Or $25.00 shipped with factory core.
For core refund just mail you stock core with a printout of the paypal transaction and Ill refund $20.00.
This shift lever will fit all FIERO Manual 4 speed and 5 speed console shifter assemblies.

And this is what it looks like installed:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 04-09-2015).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks but I not only want a shorter shaft, I also want a shorter throw (which mean the lower section has to be longer). It doesn't look like that's the case with those.
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney Dickman has a lot of short shifters to pick from.
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...b697d9105563ef6f064c

I have the regular Competition short throw shifter from him. I believe it's the shortest one that he has and you can shorten it even more if you wish. He also lengthens the part below the pivot so that it reduces the required throw even more. It works really well. Just make sure that your cables and everything are in good shape because you will notice an increase in effort required to shift gears because of the lower mechanical advantage that short shifters offer.
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a picture of the bracket that attached to the transmission to make the short throw. The one on the left is stock the other two shorten the throw. The one on the right really makes it very short, however it takes a lot more force to move the shifter. I did not like it and used the middle one on my car.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap Complete.
Paint Complete
Detailing in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

seq

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2015 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed Rodney's short throw shifter recently and am very impressed. Effort is increased a bit, but it's not outrageous. It also seems to provide more satisfying feedback when I get it into gear.

Whether it's the best, I can't say, since I haven't used all the others. I've only used the stock 87GT shifter, and this one. It's the best of the two, anyway.

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

[This message has been edited by seq (edited 04-13-2015).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2015 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgot to update. I got the Competition Short Throw shifter from Rodney. I also have a newly recovered knob coming from Mike Myers.

Thanks for the help, all!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock