Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Not the safest way to de-ice the windshield... (not mine!)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Not the safest way to de-ice the windshield... (not mine!) by David Hambleton
Started on: 03-26-2015 08:54 PM
Replies: 11 (480 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 03-28-2015 12:29 PM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Not the safest way to de-ice the windshield...

Heat melts ice. Maybe there was a LOT of ice? Not seeing a problem.

CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guess the seats are trashed tho

Still maybe someone needs rims and a tranny?
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rims look like they are nice, & what is with that from bumper?
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

The rims look like they are nice, & what is with that from bumper?

That's what I was thinking, and the rockers too.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like crap buildup on resistor in heater box but heater blower frozen for any reason can draw big amps and little or no air flow to cool the resistor is bad too.
Fire in that area are a sign of "resistor fire." Fire goes out heater inlet and/or burns out the front heater box, etc.
Why many people w/ old cars, not just Fiero, need to check and clean the resistor area in the heater/AC box.

Crap problems cover here many times...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/123258.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/124499.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/123929.html
etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Looks like crap buildup on resistor in heater box but heater blower frozen for any reason can draw big amps and little or no air flow to cool the resistor is bad too.
Fire in that area are a sign of "resistor fire." Fire goes out heater inlet and/or burns out the front heater box, etc.
Why many people w/ old cars, not just Fiero, need to check and clean the resistor area in the heater/AC box.

Crap problems cover here many times...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/123258.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/124499.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/123929.html
etc.

Thanks for answering my question before I even asked it
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had that happen to me last winter. Had a nice day for a ride and pulled the car out of storage not knowing a mouse built a nest in the resistor housing, turned on the heat and a minute later smoke come pouring out of the vents, I shut the car down and the smoke died down. Scared the crap out of me. Thanks to Ogres Cave I found the problem and cleaned out the nest of leaves and shreds of a shop towel. Now my storage is loaded with anti mouse weapons. They started this war and im going to finish it!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by davylong86:
Now my storage is loaded with anti mouse weapons. They started this war and im going to finish it!

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate scraping ice. What I do is pour COLD water on it and run the wipers immediately. Hot water can shatter or crack the glass.
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was a great movie Raydar. lol ! And yes Rodger, hot water is not a good idea. My loving wife had a small crack on the lower part of the windshield and thought a big bucket of hot water on a 10 degree morning would clean the ice rite off, that small crack turned into a jig saw puzzle of glass. I ask her what happen and she said the wind and cold probably cracked it. I do love that women anyways.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL. With the forum lately, Im sure soon some know it all will come up with scientific data and professors opinions why hot water cannot break safety glass no matter what we say because were liars.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock