Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Anyone have the "GT Style #1 Sail Panel Windows" from Fiero Fiberglass?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone have the "GT Style #1 Sail Panel Windows" from Fiero Fiberglass? by Shho13
Started on: 03-22-2015 10:16 PM
Replies: 11 (1250 views)
Last post by: freedom0226 on 02-08-2018 03:31 AM
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys spring is coming and I am finally getting ready to paint my Fiero! Since my sail panels are cracking like crazy, I was looking into the fiberglass sail panels from Fiero Fiberglass as an option. They peaked my interest simply because I won't have to worry about cracking again, I can paint them to match the color, and they also have a little window; making it slightly easier to work on the engine back there.

If anyone has pictures and/or reviews of them, I would be very appreciative!

The version I am interested in is style #1.

Thanks guys!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A search turned up the original thread where he was thinking of making them. There are a couple nice photo's in there. Other than painting, they can also be wrapped in canvas / convertible top material as Jimmy did with his in the photo's.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 03-23-2015).]

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wrapped mine in 3M carbon fiber vinyl. They are a good quality product and fit pretty well but do require a little work. The perimeter has a little extra curve to it where the oem windows are flat. If this isn't ground down a bit the window will require an excessive amount of double stick tape to mount them. I didn't do that and had to come up with an alternate method to mount them.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 03-23-2015).]

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Thanks for the responses guys!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2015 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thread revival (sorry).....

How are these for wind noise at highway speed? With the opening like that it looks like they may be noisy, but I'd like to be wrong. I'm thinking of going this route for my restoration, and this is really the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on these.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2015 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

Thread revival (sorry).....

How are these for wind noise at highway speed? With the opening like that it looks like they may be noisy, but I'd like to be wrong. I'm thinking of going this route for my restoration, and this is really the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on these.

I haven't noticed any increased noise over the solid windows
FieroCat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2015 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are they selling these panels? I really want a set. Do they come in shiny black at all or do you have to paint them yourself?

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-16-2015 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know much about aero dynamics but not only does the pic with the carbon fiber look great I would think that it would help in extracting heat from the deck lid louvers especially at high speed . Looked over my 88 gt louvers and thought what a bad design as compared to the 85 gt which if I remember correctly were unobstructed. In Vegas when it's over 100 degrees the engine gets up to 220 degrees. Plus it may increase down force on the rear wing.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-16-2015 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silvertown:
Don't know much about aero dynamics but not only does the pic with the carbon fiber look great I would think that it would help in extracting heat from the deck lid louvers especially at high speed . Looked over my 88 gt louvers and thought what a bad design as compared to the 85 gt which if I remember correctly were unobstructed. In Vegas when it's over 100 degrees the engine gets up to 220 degrees. Plus it may increase down force on the rear wing.

I'm not sure what you mean by unobstructed, but the notchback vents certainly had a thin metal mesh shield on the bottom side. If you want to get rid of the sheet on the fastback vents, it's very simple to drill out the rivets holding them on.
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-16-2015 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I'm not sure what you mean by unobstructed, but the notchback vents certainly had a thin metal mesh shield on the bottom side. If you want to get rid of the sheet on the fastback vents, it's very simple to drill out the rivets holding them on.

Definitely a must do unless I just drive it in the winter but what's under my vents looks more like rain deflectors where as my 85 had a wire mesh more akin to c coop wire.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2015 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroCat:

Are they selling these panels? I really want a set. Do they come in shiny black at all or do you have to paint them yourself?

They need to be painted or vinly wrapped.
PFF
System Bot
freedom0226

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2018 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WHO MAKES THESE ??????????????????? I NEED A PAIR ............................

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock