V6 waterpump a pita by Csjag
Started on: 02-13-2015 05:02 PM
Replies: 22 (700 views)
Last post by: tebailey on 02-18-2015 01:14 PM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy what a hassle it is to change the water pump on an 85 GT. I have about half the bolts off now, they are hard to get to and several different sizes, definitely not user friendly, lol.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It gets better on the install!

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least it doesn't have the torx head bolts
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Worst one I've seen is a Ford Windstar. The pump mounts on a stud up against the frame. You have to lift the engine to get the pump to clear the frame. My 85 Caddy had on torx bit bolt up against the frame. Got it out by pulling the bit out of the socket and putting a wrench over the bit.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are worse. The older 2.8s in a Citation or Chevy Celebrity have even less room to maneuver down there. On the other hand, when they introduced the "Gen II" version of that engine it turned the water pump into a ten-minute job. Super easy!

Mine's an '88 so I have Torx bolts on the water pump. If I ever have to do a water pump again, I'm switching them all to regular hex.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tomorrow I hope to get the rest of the bolts off and the new pump on. This forum is a lifesaver, without it I wouldn't have known how to clamp the timing chain cover, the Haynes manual doesn't even mention using a clamp.
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clamp? Ive done pre 88 and did an 88 on thursday. Yeah the 3 different sizes are dumb but it didnt take that long and was pretty simple to do. What problems did you run into?
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A combination of very little working space and not always having the perfect socket was my main problem but I got it off today. I think it may be easier to put the new one on now that I know the lay of the land. I am told the clamp is needed to prevent the timing chain cover from pulling away from its gasket and then having coolant leak into the engine oil.
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just did mine in December, didn't use the clamp either, hardest part was getting a bent stud out that required more hands than I had. Worst part was putting it back in the day after Christmas completely hungover, and they had the shop at 90 degrees.

dan
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bonaduce:

Just did mine in December, didn't use the clamp either, hardest part was getting a bent stud out that required more hands than I had. Worst part was putting it back in the day after Christmas completely hungover, and they had the shop at 90 degrees.

dan

I don't have a "shop" to work in and I am definitely not a trained mechanic
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am just the parts guy, but get to use the shop and the tech's expertease when needed. It does come in handy

dan
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am just the parts guy, but get to use the shop and the tech's expertease when needed. It does come in handy

dan

Cool
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

3170 posts
Member since Dec 2013

dan

Cool
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update: I got the old water pump off yesterday and the new one on. I could see the straight line of crude across the impeller on the old water pump and I could wobble the shaft by hand. This car had sat for 2 years with a bad fuel pump in the po's garage so if anyone buys a car that has sat for any length of time plan on replacing the water pump.
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably a dumb question, as I'm not a trained mechanic eitherk but does anything have to line up or click when you install the new water pump? My '87GT sat for approximately 4 years before I got it, and it's been sitting in my garage for over 1 year. I know the fuel pump is bad, and I've got an EP 381 ready to go in. I also got a water pump to install for a little extra insurance. Thanks!
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turbo86se:

Probably a dumb question, as I'm not a trained mechanic eitherk but does anything have to line up or click when you install the new water pump? My '87GT sat for approximately 4 years before I got it, and it's been sitting in my garage for over 1 year. I know the fuel pump is bad, and I've got an EP 381 ready to go in. I also got a water pump to install for a little extra insurance. Thanks!

I am definitely not a trained mechanic either, , there is nothing that clicks into place, you line it up by threading the bolts into their respective holes. When I removed the old bolts I put masking tape on each one with the number that it corresponded to on the torque sequence diagram that came with the new pump, that way you will get them in the right hole. The pump has 12 bolts in three different sizes, so it can get confusing.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEVERDONE:

Clamp?

Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

Speaking about the clamp, I have never seen an image anywhere on the 'net (including Pennock's) of one actually being used. Behold...this is where it goes!

And yes, you install the clamp before you loosen any water pump bolts!

NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats what that stupd thing is for! I did not use one on any of the pumps I've done. The instructions didn say where it went. I thaught it was to help lock the pulley for the bolts!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEVERDONE:

I thaught it was to help lock the pulley for the bolts!

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The instructions that came with the pump said the clamp was for the Citation and Omega cars but I didn't want to take any chances. So, does anyone know if it applies to our Fiero's or not???
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

The instructions that came with the pump said the clamp was for the Citation and Omega cars but I didn't want to take any chances. So, does anyone know if it applies to our Fiero's or not???

Its been widely discussed here on the forum and no one has determined for certain if it does or not. Those instructions which mention the Citation and Omega were probably written back about 1981 and never been updated since even though they installed that same engine in many other cars. Best bet is to use the clamp so you know for sure you won't break the seal.

My Autozone pump came with the clamp. I used it.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't apply to Fiero 2.8 engines.

With the way the water pump and the timing cover are attached to the engine, there's a good chance that without the clamp in place, the seal between the timing cover and the block will become broken when the water pump is unbolted and removed.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The caddy 4100's were the same way. Ended up with a leak at the timing cover. Luckily I got some sealant in there and fixed it. Use the clamp and save yourself some grief.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock