Question on Stealth Spoiler mounts by darbysan
Started on: 01-22-2015 07:43 PM
Replies: 15 (642 views)
Last post by: DKcustoms on 01-25-2015 01:43 AM
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an '87 GT, and I find the rear spoiler sits directly in the middle of the rear window looking in the rear view mirror, reducing rear view dramatically. Was considering taking it off, but thought I would ask those that have the Stealth Mount if it drops the spoiler down far enough to give a good rear view in the mirror, or does is still block off much of the view. Don't want to spend money for the mounts if they don't help.

Will probably just take it off. Any advise on how to add weight to the deck lid so it doesn't fly up.

------------------
'87 GT in process!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Leukay

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeukaySend a Private Message to LeukayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of stealth wing stands on my 87 GT and they greatly improved rear visibility for me. Not quite as good as wingless, but much much better than stock IMO. Plus the wing looks awesome raked back like that (my friends say it looks like a fighter jet haha).
cshults

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Leukay:

I have a set of stealth wing stands on my 87 GT and they greatly improved rear visibility for me. Not quite as good as wingless, but much much better than stock IMO. Plus the wing looks awesome raked back like that (my friends say it looks like a fighter jet haha).

Pics?
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are pics of them on a GT:

And the notchback:

Tony Kania's GT:

These are the old style with the more blocky look. They have since been re-molded, the mounting system improved, and the edges are now rounded for a smoother look.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 01-22-2015).]

Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've considered stealth mounts, still have my wing sitting in the garage... I took it off not too long after buying it. For a short while I had put it back on (we were moving, made it easier to simply mount it to the car), but like darby said, it was right in the middle of the rearview and I couldn't stand it, so I took it back off. Simple solution for the holes was I used a package of the plastic license plate screws+caps (perfect size), though one of the caps came off a couple years back (u-spray car wash). If I stay without a wing I'll get a wing-delete lid someday.

Mine were chrome (only ones at the store then), but you probably get the idea... mine also had a set of 4 plastic screws with plastic wing nuts for the back side. I can't really say I've had any water leaks to note.
rice.1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the stock wing still used with these mounts, or is it a new wing and mounts altogether that make it stealth?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

Any advise on how to add weight to the deck lid so it doesn't fly up.

That's not how it's done.

The tension on the torsion rods is adjustable. There are also different strength torsion rods if adjusting what you have isn't sufficient.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rice.1:

Is the stock wing still used with these mounts, or is it a new wing and mounts altogether that make it stealth?

You use the stock wing. Only the stands are different.

I am at the point of needing to make a decision on this myself. My car was just repainted, and a new decklid was used that had the holes filled in.

Do I.....

a: Leave the wing off
b: Put it back on
c: Put it back on, but further back
d: Use the stealth stands and put it back on

I do like the look of the wing on the car, it kinda looks naked in my opinion without it. On the other hand, I wash the car a lot, kinda obsessive about that I must admit LOL. The wing does make it much more of a pain to wash and then to dry the car off. With the stealth stand, I think it would be far worse to try the get under there to wash and dry that area.

TechTip: Take off any and all rings when trying to reach under the wing to wash and dry the car

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 01-23-2015).]

darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That's not how it's done.

The tension on the torsion rods is adjustable. There are also different strength torsion rods if adjusting what you have isn't sufficient.

Thanks Patrick. I was going off a post I read somewhere, but this is the right solution.

Leukay

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeukaySend a Private Message to LeukayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

You use the stock wing. Only the stands are different.

I am at the point of needing to make a decision on this myself. My car was just repainted, and a new decklid was used that had the holes filled in.

Do I.....

a: Leave the wing off
b: Put it back on
c: Put it back on, but further back
d: Use the stealth stands and put it back on

I do like the look of the wing on the car, it kinda looks naked in my opinion without it. On the other hand, I wash the car a lot, kinda obsessive about that I must admit LOL. The wing does make it much more of a pain to wash and then to dry the car off. With the stealth stand, I think it would be far worse to try the get under there to wash and dry that area.

TechTip: Take off any and all rings when trying to reach under the wing to wash and dry the car

Not to highjack the thread, but I've tried all of those options. I personally prefer the wing on fastbacks, but I don't love where it's placed. I tried using the stock stands and drilled new holes a bit further back. I thought it looked better, but the stealth wing stands give the wing the best placement for me. It looks awesome from every angle and doesn't block half of your rear view like the stock stands
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Leukay:

Not to highjack the thread, but I've tried all of those options. I personally prefer the wing on fastbacks, but I don't love where it's placed. I tried using the stock stands and drilled new holes a bit further back. I thought it looked better, but the stealth wing stands give the wing the best placement for me. It looks awesome from every angle and doesn't block half of your rear view like the stock stands

Your post is FAR from hijacking the thread. I think it is spot on with the threads intent. It has given me insight, and thoughts from another perspective. Looks like I could possibly be ordering some stealth stands in the near future In the mean time, I will go "wingless" for a while to see if that grows on me first.

PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to update, I removed the Stock GT wing today. The Torsion springs were located in the middle hole, so I moved the pins to the most forward hole ( toward the front) and the deck lid works perfectly.

Many posts were available here on how to adjust the pins. I used a ratchet strap, and it worked easy.

One thing to point out for future users- When I moved the pin, and released the strap, I expected the torsion bar to move until it rested on the pin. That didn't happen! When I had moved the second pin, and released the tension on the strap, I thought everything was done. I reached under the hinge to un-hook the ratchet strap, and the torsion bar suddenly snapped toward the firewall with great force. If my fingers had been behind the bar, they would have been cut off- no doubt. I went over to the drivers side, and found it was also sitting in limbo. A couple of hacks with a hammer, and it also let go, slamming back.

------------------
'87 GT in process!

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Your post is FAR from hijacking the thread. I think it is spot on with the threads intent. It has given me insight, and thoughts from another perspective. Looks like I could possibly be ordering some stealth stands in the near future In the mean time, I will go "wingless" for a while to see if that grows on me first.

Just FYI because not too many people know this. The stealth stands are actually a 2 position stand for the GT. They have 2 sets of mounting holes so the stands can be moved forward so the wing covers more of the trunk or they can be moved backwards to have the wing hang off the rear a little more.
spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I moved my wing back. I put the forward stand bolt in the back hole by adding a plate under the stands and bolting it to the deck lid. Then made a set of covers to mask the boltsIt works good and looks good.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

One thing to point out for future users- When I moved the pin, and released the strap, I expected the torsion bar to move until it rested on the pin. That didn't happen! When I had moved the second pin, and released the tension on the strap, I thought everything was done. I reached under the hinge to un-hook the ratchet strap, and the torsion bar suddenly snapped toward the firewall with great force. If my fingers had been behind the bar, they would have been cut off- no doubt. I went over to the drivers side, and found it was also sitting in limbo. A couple of hacks with a hammer, and it also let go, slamming back.

I've messed with the torsion bars on several Fieros and never had this issue myself, but it's good that you've mentioned your experience and possibly saved someone in the future some grief.

Originally posted by spirit:

I moved my wing back. I put the forward stand bolt in the back hole by adding a plate under the stands and bolting it to the deck lid. Then made a set of covers to mask the boltsIt works good and looks good.

Well come on... let's see some pictures!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-24-2015).]

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kinda was saving this idea for myself, but has anyone ever used both the regular spoiler mounts as well as the stealth at the same time?

put the stealth mounts on the decklid and then regular mounts mounted to that so the wing is back more but at the stock height...
idk how it would look, it was just a thought i've been kicking around

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock