Me and my '88 GT T-Top by 88TTOP_Dave
Started on: 11-19-2014 11:26 PM
Replies: 16 (568 views)
Last post by: fiero_derrickwi on 11-23-2014 05:23 PM
88TTOP_Dave

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88TTOP_DaveSend a Private Message to 88TTOP_DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been a long time lurker on these forums, but I now have a Fiero of my own and felt it was time to join up!

So Hi! I'm Dave. I live in Oregon with my wife and two daughters. We have a dog, three cats, a bunch of fish... and now, after a long time waiting, an '88 GT T-Top!

I've been a Fiero lover since 1988 when I was dating a girl whose father drove a T-Top Formula. He loved to take us for drives, but never let either of us drive it ourselves. Still that was all it took and I was hooked! About three years ago both of our girls were in school and we were able to start saving away the money that had been spent on day-care. For two years I made near daily visits to Craigslist and was searching up and down the Oregon and Washington I-5 corridor. I was very picky only wanting an '88, 5-spd, low'ish miles, and very well cared for/garaged condition. I visited only six cars during that time (2 in Seattle, 3 Portland, and 1 in Eugene), but none of them was the right combination of price and wish-list items. About a week ago my Fiero was listed on Craigslist by a guy who had acquired it in a part trade for an awesome, vintage Ducati motorcycle he was parting with. The price was attractive, the car looked really clean, and the guy selling it was a gentleman and pleasure to deal with. After crawling all over it and a 45 minute test-drive I made him an offer we were both pleased with and now it's mine!

Some details on my car:
  • 5spd and 2.8 w/ 96K miles.
  • "True" T-top car.
  • Original Ruby Red paint and the clear coat is in good shape. Wing appears to have been repainted, but I can't be sure.
  • Bought at Jim Link Pontiac (Google can't find anything on this dealer, but I think that I remember commercials for this dealer during my Oregon raised childhood and mistaking "Link's" for Lynx and thinking that was cool!).

...and the Needs:
  • A front-end alignment (or maybe more!)
  • New speakers
  • Leaks windshield washer fluid a tablespoon'ish a day
  • Tires nearly show the top of Abe's head

Even the Oregon weather cooperated to make this a great 24 hours!

------------------
1988 GT T-Top
TTop #941 of 1,252
Fiero #22,196 of 26,402

[This message has been edited by 88TTOP_Dave (edited 11-19-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is one of my favorite combinations, I absolutely adore your car. I'll own one like that when I'm older as it's one of my dream cars. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay!
AutoMarshal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarshalClick Here to visit AutoMarshal's HomePageSend a Private Message to AutoMarshalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome!! I love the car and wish I had seen it CL first!! I think I need a med. red t-top..... Marshal

PS: let me know when you get sick of fixing it or just need the cash
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, you are a lucky guy. I was the first one to make the trip to look at that car. We agreed on a price and everything, and for some reason I just couldn"t pull the trigger on the buy. For once, I thought I should consult my wife of 31 years, and she was not in agreement, thinking I have enough Fiero's (3) for now.
That is a very sound car and ran and drove well. The seller said it would wander some on the freeway, but new tires may be the issue instead of an alignment. The car had some road rash, but in my opinion it can be spot painted and it will look nearly new. The interior was nice for 96K miles. Very little bolster wear. Started good, ran well, no smoke, good oil pressure, even the air works.
You and your family should get a great deal of enjoyment from your purchase. And it was priced pretty well for an 88 t top without huge mileage.
Again congratulations on your Fiero, I will always be envious about the one that got away!
88TTOP_Dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88TTOP_DaveSend a Private Message to 88TTOP_DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@rbell2915 -- Hang in there! It took me 25 years :P

@AutoMarshal -- I'll keep you in mind should my wife decides that since I got my dream car she needs to buy a herd of cattle (her crazy dream!)

@bjc 350 -- Thank you for the validation. Beyond those six test drives in the past two years I don't have enough experience to "feel" a sound Fiero from a sketchy one so your kind and expert words mean a lot. I don't have shop space so it was important to get one that didn't need a lot of tinkering. I'm pretty sure I saw you list up one of yours (an '88 GT w/ AT) several months ago. Looked like a nice car, I just couldn't compromise on my desire to own a 5spd so I never called.

------------------
1988 GT T-Top
TTop #941 of 1,252
Fiero #22,196 of 26,402

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, congrats & welcome! That is a nice-looking car!

I'm sure you will enjoy it for many years. Not sure how to handle 2 kids with it, though.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Congrats! And welcome!!

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, LS1 TB
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
welcome with your T-tops!--your daughters will love it! (mine do) go to this link http://fierottop.com/registry/ you enter your vin and it will tell you when yours was made and other info--really neat also update 88 database guy--he likes to collect information //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074587.html you will find this forum very helpful to keep your fiero going---

------------------
Pat Jones

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats and welcome to your official 1st thread! She sure is a beauty. How did you get your pictures to come out so three dimensional looking and feeling?
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, a big plus. I pulled the trunk carpet corners up and there is NO rust and I could not see any under the car either. Some weekend detailing and that car will look like you paid $2K more than you likely did! I'm still upset with myself. I can PM you with what I observed if you would like my opinion. The 88 that I sold for $4600 had more miles and slightly more bolster wear than your car, otherwise very similar but with better paint. No t tops, it was a sunroof car, automatic. Man you should be a happy camper!
88TTOP_Dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88TTOP_DaveSend a Private Message to 88TTOP_DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the welcomes and kind words.

@johnyrottin -- That 3D look is an optical illusion created by blurring the background of the photo and making the subject (in this case the Fiero) in sharp focus. I actually snapped these shots on my iPhone and then doctored the blur in with Photoshop. If you're interested you can google "Depth of Field" and find A TON of info on this photographic technique.

@88FieroGT TTops -- I registered it on fierottop.com, but I'll be sure to update the 88 database guy like you mentioned. As far as my daughters go the oldest loves it and my youngest things that it looks like a "gross bug" with the headlights up

@bjc 350 -- Thank you! PM sent
PFF
System Bot
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, I returned your PM.
Bryan
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! That is a very nice car adn stick to top it off. I sold my T-top and I know I will miss it a lot.

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed White: 3800SC auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome and nice SCORE!

OPIE's Fiero GTX Build
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Welcome and nice SCORE!

X2... yep, that's a keeper!

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 11-21-2014).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey I should have clicked on this thread earlier! I came here after seeing the vanity license plate thread. Looks good!

That's almost a twin of mine! Except mine has no T-tops or spoiler. Medium red metallic, gray interior, black wheels... That was the most common color a year earlier, but not real numerous in 1988.
fiero_derrickwi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_derrickwiSend a Private Message to fiero_derrickwiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful 88 T-top

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock